Moved Thread AFL tips $25m into the Suns for 2017!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

They didn't "prop them up" with $25m. The lowest club distribution will probably be around ~$13M this year so the "premium" might be about $12M

Last year they got a bit over $17M which was only $5M more than your club
Yeah that was my point?

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fine, let football die completely here. but for Gods sake, lets keep spoon feeding 100 year old suburban clubs who are always on the financial Tit to stay alive. Don't ever let them be exposed to reality.
Do you seriously think Tasmania’s population would stop following whoever they support and start following a new Tasmanian side? Do I think GC was a viable option? No I don’t.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, we've heard this for literally decades (and it was one the big "arguments" to try and get North to move) but it isn't being borne out.

I think the Suns should stay, they need support, they should get support. But the idea that any CG franchise is going to ever be something beyond a small club is just fanciful.

And for decades the population has kept growing. I don't know what you think "hasn't been borne out" except for some straw man. Like I said, in 2050 the suns will be 40 years old and Gold Coast will have 1.2M people

"Small" is subjective but they'll end up bigger than your club, that's for sure

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And for decades the population has kept growing. I don't know what you think "hasn't been borne out" except for some straw man. Like I said, in 2050 the suns will be 40 years old and Gold Coast will have 1.2M people

But Melbourne's population is growing faster than the GC.

And they'll never have more members than the smallest Melbourne club.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

even Vlad conceded that the GC will always be a smaller club last year.

The GC is just not a footy city.

None. If the AFL distributed a larger share of the TV rights no Vic clubs would make a loss. Do you think GC adds anything to the TV rights? There's a massive difference in what the VIC/SA/WA clubs earn for the AFL compared to the RL state clubs. Not even Sydney pay their way unless they play in the GF and get a large Sydney audience. The GC and GWS expansion are purely future plays. Whether it works out is debatable but as it stands it has been a failure on every front.

So Vic teams are losing money and have been for awhile, you could have just stopped there.

You do realize the AFL got a larger tv rights deal because of the teams in NSW and QLD right? There is a correlation between the two.

GC and GWS were always long term plays, having a strong foothold in the northern states is crucial to the long term growth of the sport.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The AFL should assist further by ensuring all but one home games are in the saturday twilight slot (best slot for home fans to attend but downside is all foxtel games outside if Qld), one friday night home game on free to air tv, and away games are therefore in other saturday/ sunday slots with a mix of free to air and foxtel slots (giving some exposure to their sponsors)

The saturday after pension day?

how is this news? do some people still think the Gold Coast Suns is some regular footy club set up by themselves out there trying to give it a go? lol the entire operation is propped up

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you seriously think Tasmania’s population would stop following whoever they support and start following a new Tasmanian side? Do I think GC was a viable option? No I don’t.

When you say support currently, do you mean financially?. So yes I very seriously believe people here would become members of a Tasmanian AFL club. Just like they did in WA & SA. It'd be no different here. Thats the proof they would.

Right now we are seeing the neglect of football here & its consequences for the aspirations of all players.

They are and always were long term plan that will only grow over time!
The suns have a few issues that they need to work out
The advertising dollar alone in Qld is worth not than SA and WA alone so they do add some worth to the overall broadcast dollar as well as the wank factor to advertisers that they have teams based in those states

So you think advertisers are really dumb?

Why would they pay any significant amount of money to advertise when ratings are so awful?

There is a reason people within the media industry talk about ratings...it's not a popularity contest, its what drives the vast majority of their revenue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Era of short attention spans.
AFLW suffers from this too.

The current crowd and membership numbers will stay where they are for a while with GCS, and GWS.
A time will come when those figures will jump to respectable levels, but for the time being these are fledgling clubs.

For now, its about the 1st generation of supporters staying onboard.
Then the next generation picking that mantel up, and the one after that solidifying it.

5-10% of the greater gold coast population nets them between 25 and 55k members.
That saturation won't be difficult once the club is stable and competitive onfield.

Not a lot of difference to Carlton's membership numbers not tracking to the levels of their traditional rivals.
Once the club is competitive on the field, the crowds and members will roll in.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
even Vlad conceded that the GC will always be a smaller club last year.

The GC is just not a footy city.

You've unblocked me again?

No doubt Gold Coast will almost certainly always be a smaller than average club

Maybe, but I suspect they'll end up being bigger in revenues (gate takings, sponsorship etc.) Could be wrong

Despite Melbourne's population growth (which isn't bigger than gold Coasts over the long term in % terms btw), I think North's problem is the "vicious cycle" of lower profile = lower share of new support. Even with football department caps this will continue to be a problem.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
So Vic teams are losing money and have been for awhile, you could have just stopped there.

You do realize the AFL got a larger tv rights deal because of the teams in NSW and QLD right? There is a correlation between the two.

GC and GWS were always long term plays, having a strong foothold in the northern states is crucial to the long term growth of the sport.
They aren't loosing money, that's just a lazy, ill-informed clichéd view.

The AFL is intercepting their revenue and competing against them with AFL memberships, Medalian Club access and selling merchandise in competition to them, let alone retraining a massive amount of broadcast revenue that they make a substantial contribution towards. Some of that money is distributed back to the clubs albeit not proportionally, some is diverted to clubs like GC and some is retained.

It's certainly true that not all Vic clubs earn the same amount but whether one or more clubs make a loss on paper is wholly determined by the level of dividend that the AKL drips back to the clubs.

As for the TV rights being increased by NSW and Qld sides, the marginal gains are disproportionate. I am sure there is a reasonable component for Sydney's games but very little for GWS. Brisbane would add less than Sydney and GC less again. Take GC out of the comp and what difference do you think that makes to the TV deal? Take a club like North (an often quoted vulnerable club) out of the comp and there would be a major renegotiation. More Collingwood or Richmond supporters watch their team play North than watch their team play GC let alone the fact that North have their own supporter base that isn't dependant on success.

GC and/or GWS may well be crucial to plan but that doesn't mean the plan is likely to be achieved or even possible to achieve. Yes it's a long term strategy. How sound, how long the term is and at what cost is all up for debate. Brisbane had a club to merge with and 3 flags in a row and still are far less viable than any Vic club.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yes & because of the competition between 10 clubs around port phillip bay, those clubs won't get the same income per member that non Vic clubs will. Also the growth won't be equal in Vic clubs. Some will continue to struggle. ie To many clubs in one market.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you look through some rugby league forums similar to this one , you will hardly find a thread that doesn't contain a reference to the AFL in some shape or form. Rightly or wrongly the league and union fans also are very concerned about the AFL encroaching on their territory , youth participation numbers , media interest etc
It's a massive investment/gamble by the AFL but one that needed to be made because soccer is a similarly big threat to our game. If you don't cultivate the kids love of footy from an early age then soccer could quite easily take over as the #1 sport in Australia in 10-20 years. There has not been a more worrisome news article for an Aussie rules fan than that one about some soccer play no one has heard of earning 5x as much as the best AFL player
Honestly if you had no emotional attachment to Aussie rules and your kid was showing great ability in all of the codes- soccer , league , union and rules which way would you push them?
The Suns , Lions , Giants and Swans are the most important clubs in the league IMO so even though it hurts as a long suffering Freo man to see the leg up these teams seem to be getting and I was quite as bitter as most others to begin with I have come to see the bigger picture and am now totally on board ( as a Aussie rules lover ) with the AFL making the success of these teams a priority even if it impacts on my short term happiness

Take one for the game

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Why would they pay any significant amount of money to advertise when ratings are so awful?

There is a reason people within the media industry talk about ratings...it's not a popularity contest, its what drives the vast majority of their revenue.

They're not that awful, depending what you are comparing them to. After the NRL and cricket, AFL ratings are the best of the rest in both Queensland and NSW nowadays compared to other sports.

Having said this, I suspect the impact on the FTA revenues are minimal (over and above what the Swans and Lions drive) at this stage. IIRC 7 contributes just $150M per year to the $425 of the current rights. I would say that Swans and to a lesser extent the Lions are paying for themselves very very comforatbly nowadays.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
When you say support currently, do you mean financially?. So yes I very seriously believe people here would become members of a Tasmanian AFL club. Just like they did in WA & SA. It'd be no different here. Thats the proof they would.

Right now we are seeing the neglect of football here & its consequences for the aspirations of all players.
I meant who would they currently support as an AFL side now? Would they defect to a Tasmanian side? I have always thought that the viability in Tasmania hasn't been great due to the fact it is a football state but those supporters of AFL already have chosen clubs.

Hey, if a Tasmanian club could work i'd be much more supportive of that than the GC or GWS. But would it succeed due to population size?

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Yeah right, and if you want to talk about investments going forward, then Brisbane have actually managed to start to get their house in order. GC have been established since 2011 and done nothing. Brisbane havn't done much in that period, but they're heading the right way. Unless Dew can turn the club around in 2 years, the money needs to go towards Brisbane who need to be identified as the sole Queensland club. Are GC heading the right way? Lets find out at the end of 2018.

SO is 7 years the cut off? Shut em down if they need money / assistance after their 7th anniversary? Maybe I am not as harsh as you because I would only extend your rule to the established states, not the markets you are trying to develop.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm fine with it personally. The AFL have already invested so much money into setting up Gold Coast, there's no point letting them failing in their first decade with what is a long term plan. Their on-field is a disaster too so its going to take time to set the ship to right. They don't have the benefit of loyal fans that have followed for decades that will stay on board during the bleak years. The AFL are right to help them weather the storm.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats

People like to believe that advertising "doesn't work on me."
That is the trick of advertising- how do you think you decide on an Insurance company for your car? Or a brand of peanut butter?
The ads kick in from the base of your memory at the moment of choice; your brain dimly recalls,(without even really being aware of it) the brand names of the advertised product.

Bunnings is no cheaper than the competition- there's no way of even evaluating it.
There is little or no difference between major brands- only advertising makes a point of difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back