Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
Caro

ESTABLISHED footballers would be free to swap clubs outside the AFL draft system under a radical proposal which is gaining momentum within the competition and is likely to become reality within two years.
AFL players are pushing the competition to allow players to avoid the increasingly infertile trade period and instead do their own deals to move clubs in a push which it claims will avoid potential costly legal battles in the future.
Brendon Gale, the AFL Players Association boss, last week presented the AFL with a 70-page submission outlining the players' free agency proposal and an AFL working party headed up by football executive Adrian Anderson will meet for the first time next week to consider the push.
The working party includes AFL representatives and club executives ranging from Andrew Ireland (Sydney), Steve Trigg (Adelaide) and Peter Rohde (Port Adelaide) to recruiting bosses Scott Clayton (the Western Bulldogs) and Hawthorn's Chris Pelchen.
"It won't affect this year's draft," said Anderson, who has received detailed submissions from all 16 clubs. "I agree the players trades have been declining but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It is true however you do want players to have the ability to move clubs."
Gale said it was no longer acceptable for clubs to delist footballers on the eve of the October 31 deadline, rendering them virtually incapable of being drafted.
Gale told The Age: "It's a restraint of trade and the more rigid the rules the more likely the threat of litigation. It comes up more and more in calls I receive from players and their agents.
"The time is right. The game is in good shape and by the length of the Flemington straight the AFL has the most rigid player rules in world sport. Not only is flexibility good for players but it is good for the clubs and the fans and the whole competition.
"The clubs are in the business of selling hope and if you free up the internal player market but continue to respect equalisation with total player payments and the draft system then all parties are better off."
Under the proposal, the AFL would introduce restricted and unrestricted free agency. An example of the restricted form would see an out-of-contract player of four years' service nominate a new club, but would be forced to remain at his original club if it was prepared to match a new offer.
Unrestricted free agency would be allowed after — for example — a period of between six to eight years' service.

Free agency was placed on the agenda when the AFLPA struck a new pay deal with the AFL in a collective bargaining agreement which stretches until the end of the current broadcast agreement in 2011.
The issue of player movement sits outside the CBA and under player rules, and the AFL agreed to the review as a result of the players' union agreeing to strike a pay deal beyond the two-year requirement.
As a result the AFL's working party is also reviewing the structure of trade week, the minimum draft age and the contentious but increasingly concerted push for trading to extend beyond the present season to future draft picks.
So determined are the AFL players to win back some independence, their union has employed US lawyer Laura Sigal, who previously worked for American Major League Baseball, as a consultant.
While Gale ruled out extending free agency to the National Rugby League model which allows players to move clubs mid-season, he said the NRL model had some merit.
"Only nine players were traded last year but there are certain stages in the career of an AFL player where it is time for both parties to part company. The trade system is not working as well as it should or could.
"Under out proposal not only will all players receive their market value but the system would force clubs to actually invest in young draft picks and not turn them over so often and just go back to the draft. We've put a lot of thought into this and it is a responsible proposal which I believe should be adopted."

The retention of salary caps plus full disclosure of all club expenses will stop a Chelsea/Man U type of league domination.

With that caveat in place, I'm all for player free agency. After all, these guys should have rights equal to any other employee within society.

great stuff, progress at last.

As long as the AFL doesn't start bank rolling the weak sides player retention or loses control of big clubs the comp should be able to retain it's integrity.

Why are u guys so happy for the players? Shouldn't you be concern with your own club? Doesn't this system encourages the idea of players are bigger than the club like soccer players in europe?

The free agent system is more or less exactly what the NBA does as far as restricted and non restricted free agents/
The other thing they need to do is Allow trading to take place up to 8 weeks before finals and then any other time out side of that, Imagine if Fev was traded
last week insted of just givin a slap on the wrist and helped push the bulldogs into the finals. etc. If not during the season then at least any time outside of that and not just the stupid trade week.

OK the clubs are treating the players like s**t, delisting them at the last minute ect, refusing a deal (IE spida Everett), so fix up those parts of the rules, but lets not have whole sale free agency with two tiers, it gives far too much power to the players.

"Under out proposal not only will all players receive their market value but the system would force clubs to actually invest in young draft picks and not turn them over so often and just go back to the draft. We've put a lot of thought into this and it is a responsible proposal which I believe should be adopted."

How does this work via Free Agency?

Wouldnt it actually encourage clubs to drop their young talent and sign established players?

Did they define '' established''?

5 years or 7 or 10? Or 100 , 150 or 175 games?

Gale said it was no longer acceptable for clubs to delist footballers on the eve of the October 31 deadline, rendering them virtually incapable of being drafted.
This bit is the only thing where I can see how ''free agency'' can be established.

Player A is told no later than October 1 that he will be offered for trade or delisted on Oct 31. Player A then nominates for Free Agency and nominates a salary. Other clubs can then contact the club ( the club retaining ''ownership'' ) and initiate a trade . This replaces Trade Week. If no acceptable trade is worked out the players club CAN keep the player on the list or choose to delist the player on Oct 31. This player would then nominate for the Pre-Season Draft

This allows all parties the ability to gain maximum value. The delisting club reatins the player to stop undercutting of the trade value of the player, the player nominates a price, this price needs to also be accepted by his original club should they choose to retain his services. ie if they choose to not pay his asking price he can be delisted Oct 31 and go into the Pre Season Draft

How does this work via Free Agency?

Wouldnt it actually encourage clubs to drop their young talent and sign established players?

I guess since the established players would demand more money (in the sense that there'd be bidding wars for their services), that would take up large amounts of the teams' money, so they would have to fill out their rosters with cheap young players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free Agency needs to be looked at from two perspecitves.

One is the ability of players to move between clubs. I suspect the AFL will want to limit the impact of this and certainly won't allow trading/signing of players to other clubs during the season like happens in the NRL. The AFL places a lot of stock in the perception of club loyalty and IMO they'll continue to try and protect it. 5 years minimum qualifications for FA would be ideal but I suspect they'll want longer.

The other is what happens to players dropped off club lists and this to me is more important than the situation with established players. To me, every player dropped off a club list should become a free agent and clubs should be able to sign them whenever they want provided they can fit them under the cap. It would allow teams cruelled by injury to 'top up' with single season contracts to blokes not on an AFL list. Frankly, I can't understand why we don't allow this now.

OK the clubs are treating the players like s**t, delisting them at the last minute ect, refusing a deal (IE spida Everett), so fix up those parts of the rules, but lets not have whole sale free agency with two tiers, it gives far too much power to the players.

Agreed. We already see players holding clubs to ransom under the current system. Imagine the circus they would have under a free agency system. Absolutely ridiculous scheme.

Free agency will come. Either the AFL manage the process or the courts open the floodgates. Imagine a situation where Fevola and Carlton have another spat and then an out of contract Fev wants to go to WCE for $1m per year on a 5 year deal. Carlton can’t do the deal but North will trade their early pick. North offer Fev $500k p.a. for 3 years. Obviously these are made up and exaggerated circumstances. There has been increasing talk by player managers and at AFL level about the lack of trades. Nick Stevens or Jade Rawlings could potentially have bought the draft down. The AFL are nervous.

The draft and trade week should be reviewed and restructured.

As of Dec 1st all clubs receive 3 pre draft picks.

Any player can be traded for from this point on, using player exchange, pick exchanges, or if out of contract signed using the pre draft pick.

Clubs may trade their pre draft picks.

At 31 Jan draft,rookie draft, pre season draft all combined.

Any unused pre draft picks to transfer to 2nd round selections.

No priority picks for winning fewer than "x" games.

No father/son picks.

Example.

A club uses one predraft pick to sign an out of contract player, another to sign a promising 18 year old, and trades its 3rd with contracted player for player(s)/pick(s).

The advantage of this is that it allows expected high draft picks the opportunity to go to a club of choice, as opposed to being picked by a bottom of ladder club,

also players out of contract opportunity to move clubs without a trade having to be worked or enter draft with pricetag

and clubs trying to pick fatherson players the option of doing so

Interesting thought. One thing that does need to be cleaned up is the F/S rule. Can you explain in further depth your F/S idea? Not quite sure what you are proposing with that initiative.

Interesting thought. One thing that does need to be cleaned up is the F/S rule. Can you explain in further depth your F/S idea? Not quite sure what you are proposing with that initiative.
Essentially clubs get three predraft selections, used to sign uncontracted players, or as trade value.

Assume last year Geelong want Tom Hawkins, and Hawkins wants to play at Geelong, then Geelong sign him with a pre draft pick

A mid season draft makes far more sense, and less chance of being abused with the salary cap structure currently in place.

Gives legitimate blokes such as the Troy Makepeaces of the world a 2nd crack at footy, and help out a club who may be struggling with a massive injury list.

The AFLPA are nothing but a bunch of money grabbing ambulance chasers. Any idea coming from them has got to be in the worst interests of the game.

A mid season draft makes far more sense, and less chance of being abused with the salary cap structure currently in place.

Gives legitimate blokes such as the Troy Makepeaces of the world a 2nd crack at footy, and help out a club who may be struggling with a massive injury list.

The AFLPA are nothing but a bunch of money grabbing ambulance chasers. Any idea coming from them has got to be in the worst interests of the game.
I know Troy personally, he used to babysit me :eek:. Real nice guy, and no offence to the Roos but the way they dealt with him was nothing short of disgraceful.

But great point you make about the mid-season draft, a lot of people would support that idea.

I dont mind this idea of free agency, however I am concerned about 1 thing.....I will use Pendlebury as an example.

1. Pies draft Pendlebury

2. Pies put a lot of work (training, weights, development) in to Pendlebury.

3. Pendlebury stays with the Pies for 2 years.

4. Pendlebury gets signed by Carlton as a Free Agent after his contract expires, Pies get zero compensation apart from salary cap relief.....

Could that happen?

I dont mind this idea of free agency, however I am concerned about 1 thing.....I will use Pendlebury as an example.

1. Pies draft Pendlebury

2. Pies put a lot of work (training, weights, development) in to Pendlebury.

3. Pendlebury stays with the Pies for 2 years.

4. Pendlebury gets signed by Carlton as a Free Agent after his contract expires, Pies get zero compensation apart from salary cap relief.....

Could that happen?

2 years would be too short. I would imagine a 5th season would be the earliest the AFL would agree on restricted free agency (where the club gets the option to match).

In the NFL they assign 'compensatory' draft picks for teams that lose out in free agency. It can become very subjective but you can formulate criteria based on number of games, length of service, etc.

Not a huge fan of clubs getting no compensation for players they have put 5 or 7 years of development into. I suspect the rules they bring in will be more directed at increasing player trading and trying to ensure players get where they want to go that way, rather than seeing clubs suffer. With the threat of free agency hanging over a players head, a club will be a lot more inclined to trade him where he wants to go, even if they get less in return than they would have from another club.

2 years would be too short. I would imagine a 5th season would be the earliest the AFL would agree on restricted free agency (where the club gets the option to match).

In the NFL they assign 'compensatory' draft picks for teams that lose out in free agency. It can become very subjective but you can formulate criteria based on number of games, length of service, etc.

That sounds fair :thumbsu:

I think we need to do something about our "Trade" period, so this might be the way to go. I just wouldn't like to see our game become similar to the NRL, where I think players move too much. There needs to be a happy medium between the two imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back