Moved Thread AFL To Bail Out The Dees?

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne fans would be struggling not to get $600,000+ each year from those figures

Don Scott said in 1996 that if 8000 people didn't care enough about Hawthorn to give $100ea then the club wasn't worth saving and shouldn't be saved

Hawthorn supporters were shown that their club would be taken away from them if they didn't do something about it. Membership went from 12000 to 27000 in one season

Something like this model puts the onus back onto the supporters themselves

But the AFL wont allow them to fail.

Our supporters bailed the club out of millions of dollars of debt only a couple of years ago. Millions. We've been through harder times than your supporters would ever know (than pretty much any supporter group would ever know), and bailed out a club that 1. hasn't given us extreme pleasure since 1964, and 2. had no immediately exciting future on the horizon (as clearly proven now). Yet the supporters still dug out money from their own pockets. When push came to shove the Melbourne fans stood up. I've yet to see North, the Bulldogs, Brisbane, Port etc etc etc fans do the same thing, to the same extent, under the same circumstances. So surely you jest OP. Surely the Melbourne fans have already done quite a damn lot.

In conclusion...suck a fat one OP.

The AFL are going to give Melbourne a hand, like they've done to others in the past, and will do to others in the future.

This petulant whining on the main board about Melbourne by some, may be therapeutic for them (sad, but it might), however it's not going to change anything.

Our supporters bailed the club out of millions of dollars of debt only a couple of years ago. Millions. We've been through harder times your supporters would ever know (than pretty much any supporter group would ever know), and bailed out a club that hasn't 1. given us extreme pleasure since 1964, and 2. had no immediately exciting future on the horizon (as clearly proven now). Yet the supporters still dug out money from their own pockets. When push came to shove the Melbourne fans stood up. I've yet to see North, the Bulldogs, Brisbane, Port etc etc etc fans do the same thing, to the same extent, under the same circumstances. So surely you jest OP. Surely the Melbourne fans have already done quite a damn lot.

The AFL are going to give Melbourne a hand, like they've done to others in the past, and will do to others in the future.

This petulant whining on the main board about Melbourne by some may be therapeutic for them (sad, but it might), however it's not going to change anything.
So fans are justified in giving up now? What happens if it happens again?

This isn't costing fans a premium, it's just the AFL backing Melbourne but wanting assurances the fans will stick by the club.

So fans are justified in giving up now? What happens if it happens again?

This isn't costing fans a premium, it's just the AFL backing Melbourne but wanting assurances the fans will stick by the club.

So our fans have given up now have they? Attendances are lower, but not 'dead'. If we're basing things purely on this years crowd attendances, GWS needs to go now.

Also, I would ask you to take a long and hard look at the scheduling of Melbourne's games, and tell me the time and days of where the majority of their games fall. Then try and dispute, with facts, that overall they face a more difficult task in attracting people to games than most (not all, but most) of the other clubs would.

Lastly, put any club in the league through 7 years of literal football hell, and tell me crowd attendances wouldn't drop slightly.

If you're going to discuss an issue, look at the variables properly. People on this site forever amaze me in their single minded approach to the game, and really, life in general.

Our supporters bailed the club out of millions of dollars of debt only a couple of years ago. Millions. We've been through harder times your supporters would ever know (than pretty much any supporter group would ever know), and bailed out a club that hasn't 1. given us extreme pleasure since 1964, and 2. had no immediately exciting future on the horizon (as clearly proven now). Yet the supporters still dug out money from their own pockets. When push came to shove the Melbourne fans stood up. I've yet to see North, the Bulldogs, Brisbane, Port etc etc etc fans do the same thing, to the same extent, under the same circumstances. So surely you jest OP. Surely the Melbourne fans have already done quite a damn lot.

This petulant whining on the main board about Melbourne by some may be therapeutic for them (sad, but it might), however it's not going to change anything.

I don't jest at all

We came out of the failed merger invigorated with a club to save - and we have gone from strength to strength

Ever since 1996, Melbourne have been slowly meandering towards irrelevance and non-existence.

If you think that the AFL giving you $3 million dollars a year for the next 3 years and a priority pick is going to help you then think again

It just sends a clear signal to the supporters that they don't need to do anymore

While I hope Melbourne are around in another 50 years, don't think that you have an entitlement to stay in this competition forever - the AFL are currently in an era of playing good cop. Rightly or wrongly it won't last forever, so best not to be left without a chair when the music stops

So our fans have given up now have they? Attendances are lower, but not 'dead'. If we're basing things purely on this years crowd attendances, GWS needs to go now.

GWS don't have the benefit of hosting teams from NSW every second week

At the Melbourne vs Hawthorn match there was virtually no one sitting in any of the Melbourne reserved seat bays. In a generous assessment, it looked like 5000 Demons fans at your home game

Also, I would ask you to take a long and hard look at the scheduling of Melbourne's games, and tell me the time and days of where the majority of their games fall. Then try and dispute, with facts, that overall they face a more difficult task in attracting people to games than most (not all, but most) of the other clubs would.

Lastly, put any club in the league through 7 years of literal football hell, and tell me crowd attendances wouldn't drop slightly.

If you're going to discuss an issue, look at the variables properly. People on this site forever amaze me in their single minded approach to the game, and really, life in general.

You had an absolute turd of a fixture in 2011 with the maximum 7 home games against non-Victorian sides.

One area you are bleeding $ compared to the stronger sides in the competition is reserved seat memberships. I'm sure there's thousands of Demons fans who could afford one, but choose not to because they don't really need one.

I'm not saying it's easy but if you don't have a line in the sand - let's make this club work or let's shut up shop - then you'll just drift slowly and inevitably towards non existence

I don't jest at all

We came out of the failed merger invigorated with a club to save - and we have gone from strength to strength

Ever since 1996, Melbourne have been slowly meandering towards irrelevance and non-existence.

If you think that the AFL giving you $3 million dollars a year for the next 3 years and a priority pick is going to help you then think again

It just sends a clear signal to the supporters that they don't need to do anymore

While I hope Melbourne are around in another 50 years, don't think that you have an entitlement to stay in this competition forever - the AFL are currently in an era of playing good cop. Rightly or wrongly it won't last forever, so best not to be left without a chair when the music stops

Why don't you actually map out, in detail, the events surrounding Melbourne over the past 7 years (that's all that's realistically relevant). I think you'll find there's a lot of horrible luck involved (dying presidents at volatile times, horrific long terms injuries towards significant players, significant players leaving due to personal off field problems), as well as understanding that the decisions of a few inept people have caused a massive ripple effect on the club as a whole.

Please don't make ridiculous generalized statements such as 'meandering towards irrelevance since 1996'. The events of 1996 (along time ago now) have no practical or realistic impact on the events of today for either Hawthorn or Melbourne. Hawthorn didn't win their flag in 2008 thanks to the inspiration of the clubs actions in 1996. They won it due to good management, hard work and effective decisions since Clarkson's inception. Injury's of that year were also quite kind at the right times (as with most premiership teams the year they win it).

Why don't you actually map out, in detail, the events surrounding Melbourne over the past 7 years (that's all that's realistically relevant). I think you'll find there's a lot of horrible luck involved (dying presidents at volatile times, horrific long terms injuries towards significant players, significant players leaving due to personal off field problems), as well as understanding that the decisions of a few inept people have caused an massive ripple effect on the club as a whole.

Please don't make ridiculous statements such as 'meandering towards irrelevance since 1996'. The events of 1996 (along time ago now) have no practical or realistic impact on the events of today for either Hawthorn or Melbourne. For example, if you and I were talking in the year 2000, and based on that logic, I could argue 'Melbourne have learned from the negative decisions of 1996 and are reformed'. These are romantic notions, but reality is different to romance. Clubs and circumstances forever change, the people within them change. Hawthorn didn't win their flag in 2008 thanks to the inspiration of the clubs actions in 1996. They won it due to good management and hard work since Clarkson's inception.

The events of 1996 have had no impact on Melbourne that is true

The events of 1996 have had a massive impact on Hawthorn, it started the ball rolling. Of course it wasn't the be all and end all. The most significant time at Hawthorn since 1997 may well have been when Jason Dunstall was interim CEO

I'm not surprised that you don't see it either and I won't waste any more time discussing it with you

You weren't threatened with losing your identity in 1996 - home ground, colours, jumper, name etc and deep down you all don't believe the possibility that your club may cease to exist in the next 20 years. That's why you are in the predicament you are in.

But we are off topic... my point still stands. Offer the cash to Melbourne if their supporters step up to the plate

We've been through harder times your supporters would ever know (than pretty much any supporter group would ever know)

First came Alan Bond posing as Richmond's saviour, announcing all home games would be played in Brisbane. Bye bye Alan, bye bye money.

Then came Bartlett buying equipment for the weights room out of his pay because the club couldn't afford any.

Then came Barassi wearing his AFL hat declaring Richmond folding would be "good for football".

Then came Gerard Healy's "exclusive" Melbourne Tigers merger scoop.

The came the shaking of tins, and the club president literally counting every last coin from the day's gate takings.

Then came 100+ thrashings, false dawns and more 100+ thrashings.

Then came the disastrous tenure of the AFL-recommended CFO which nearly sent the club to the wall, again.

Then came Terry Wallace, cleaning the grandstand of possum s**t and operating on a shoestring budget.

Then came Damien Hardwick, worst record of any coach in history after seven games, club worse than dying Fitzroy, supporters again asked to bail the club out via the Fighting Tiger Fund.

And now you bastards have the gall to say it's all too hard, make us competitive please AFL? Pardon my limited sympathy.

I support the right of any of the traditional clubs to exist, but don't go pushing your luck.

If the AFL bail out the Dees they are perpetuating a culture that losing is okay, that you will be rewarded for not trying hard enough or winning.

This won't be a short term fix, it won't be a fix at all. What happens to supporters faith when the AFL give Melbourne the world and they still fail? What happens then when the players lose even more belief in the club and themselves? How long will this cycle continue?

It can be fixed, but offering money and draft picks and doing virtually little else will only harm them more.

If the AFL bail out the Dees they are perpetuating a culture that losing is okay, that you will be rewarded for not trying hard enough or winning.

This won't be a short term fix, it won't be a fix at all. What happens to supporters faith when the AFL give Melbourne the world and they still fail? What happens then when the players lose even more belief in the club and themselves? How long will this cycle continue?

It can be fixed, but offering money and draft picks and doing virtually little else will only harm them more.

they'll do what they did elsewhere and offer administrative support and plenty of consultation. its where the "conditional" part of the support comes in. The AFL has already said that at the end of 2016 the support cycle for clubs is likely to end (its when the disequal funding runs out and its when Gold Coast is supposed to be profitable by as well, and a year before GWS is theoretically supposed to be profitable according to the AFL). I suspect the probable retirements of Demetriou and Fitzpatrick around this time as well. So 2017 on will be a brave new world with a new finance arrangement, new tv deal and new administration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne fans would be struggling not to get $600,000+ each year from those figures

Don Scott said in 1996 that if 8000 people didn't care enough about Hawthorn to give $100ea then the club wasn't worth saving and shouldn't be saved

Hawthorn supporters were shown that their club would be taken away from them if they didn't do something about it. Membership went from 12000 to 27000 in one season

1996 may as well be 3000 light years away in contemporary AFL terms.

Get with the times. Find some other way to exorcise your angst riddled demons. Being treated like s**t does not justify becoming an a-hole.

Didnt the same thing happen to melbourne fc in 1996 ?

So the AFL is looking at giving cash handouts to Melbourne.

What a complete waste of time - they DO NOT DESERVE ANY GIFTS

However why not link the cash handouts directly to something Melbourne supporters can contribute to in 2014 and 2015

1. $1 for every person that attends a Melbourne match in 2014 and 2015 (There's $200,000-$500,000 each year)

2. $10 for every Melbourne Football Club member - including MCC affiliate (There's another $200,000-$300,000 each year)

3. $50 for every Premium or Reserved Seat Melbourne Membership (There's $500,000 each year if they can get 10,000 of them)

4. And the bonus round... If 411169 people (Melbourne's 2010 attendance) attend Melbourne matches in 2014 ONLY then Melbourne get $1 million in COLD HARD CASH

The beauty of it is that if Melbourne do pick up $2 million, not only do they have cash, but the club is more marketable to sponsors

The bonus round offer is available in 2015 as well ONLY if they hit the target in 2014

Statistically we're the most passionate fans already (supporters / memberships).

Give us all of the monies.

In what bizzaro universe does an extra 9 million and a priority pick NOT HELP?

Not saying we deserve either of those things, but, you can't deny that they would cerainly help. They'd help anyone. We're talking about 9 million dollars and a priority pick!

9 mil over three years and a PP? That could let us sign 3 superstar level players and get a bonus youngster. How would any team not be helped by that?

First came Alan Bond posing as Richmond's saviour, announcing all home games would be played in Brisbane. Bye bye Alan, bye bye money.

Then came Bartlett buying equipment for the weights room out of his pay because the club couldn't afford any.

Then came Barassi wearing his AFL hat declaring Richmond folding would be "good for football".

Then came Gerard Healy's "exclusive" Melbourne Tigers merger scoop.

The came the shaking of tins, and the club president literally counting every last coin from the day's gate takings.

Then came 100+ thrashings, false dawns and more 100+ thrashings.

Then came the disastrous tenure of the AFL-recommended CFO which nearly sent the club to the wall, again.

Then came Terry Wallace, cleaning the grandstand of possum s**t and operating on a shoestring budget.

Then came Damien Hardwick, worst record of any coach in history after seven games, club worse than dying Fitzroy, supporters again asked to bail the club out via the Fighting Tiger Fund.

And now you bastards have the gall to say it's all too hard, make us competitive please AFL? Pardon my limited sympathy.

I support the right of any of the traditional clubs to exist, but don't go pushing your luck.

You recieved money from the AFL during those times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back