News AFL to introduce flexible scheduling for 2020 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond have rightly deserved to open the season by playing an exciting, ‘winning’ style of football recently. Carlton have been dog s**t and we have all complained. Why not change that game?
I don’t mind if that changes to be honest. It’s been a top 4 vs bottom 4 clash for 3 years now.

Although, it isn’t a percentage booster for us

Dynamic scheduling make organising travel from interstate awfully difficult

I could wear the last month or even 6 weeks of the season if that is what it ends up being - but particularly for teams (and supporters) who travel every second week - having some certainty is important so that bookings can be made.

I'd hate to be booked in to a Saturday night WC game with a flight home Sunday arvo - only to find out the game has been switched to 2pm Sunday

Not really. Take Thursday to Monday off. Fly out Thursday, then fly home Monday. Simple.

When the Essendon 34 were banned, it was predicted Essendon would be uncompetitive. They played a game on ANZAC day in a prime time slot. Many fans complained and it was predicted to be a dull game. Should the AFL have given the fans what they want and moved that to a graveyard timeslot and allowed two competitive teams with a chance of playing finals the converted timeslot?

but let’s pretend we’re ‘giving the fans what they want’...

Maybe one day the AFL will put a Showdown or Derby on a Friday night.

Its a pity that they didnt do it for years and possibly do it now, when aside from the Eagles, the rest of the three Clubs are struggling.

If you look at the fixture from last season, here were the Friday and Saturday night games in rounds 20, 21 and 22 and the ladder positions at the time.

Round 20:

North VS Hawthorn (14th vs 11th)
Melbourne VS Richmond (17th vs 4th)

Round 21:

GWS VS Hawthorn (5th vs 12th)
Geelong VS North (1st vs 13th)

Round 22:

Melbourne VS Sydney (17th vs 15th)
North VS Port Adelaide (14th vs 8th)

Firstly, how did North get three consecutive prime time games? Secondly, out of that the only one you probably definitely flex is the Melbourne/Sydney game if your criteria is to not have any games involving both teams eliminated from the finals. I guess you could also look at Richmond/Melbourne in Round 20 and Geelong/North in Round 21 (in hindsight I think North would have preferred if they flexed that out of the schedule entirely) if you're looking to get rid of seemingly non-competitive games, even if they involve a top 4 team.

You'd probably make these changes:

- Melbourne Vs Richmond into Port Vs Essendon (10th vs 7th)
- Geelong VS North into Bulldogs vs Essendon (against 10th vs 7th)
- Melbourne VS Sydney into Brisbane vs Geelong (1 vs 2)

The impetus for the whole thing is the Melbourne VS Sydney game being on a Friday night while the top of the table clash was stuck on a Saturday arvo.

Maybe in your world

I could understand it if the AFL were to change the fixturing a few weeks out, but if it was known when the fixture was released it was going to happen in the last 4 weeks of the season, there would be plenty of time to plan travel around it once the fixture comes out.

Seems to be an awful lot of speculation being stated as fact.

Nowhere did it say in the article originally posted when the dynamic scheduling would apply to (it didn't say the last four rounds and it didn't exclude rounds either).

Dynamic scheduling make organising travel from interstate awfully difficult

I could wear the last month or even 6 weeks of the season if that is what it ends up being - but particularly for teams (and supporters) who travel every second week - having some certainty is important so that bookings can be made.

I'd hate to be booked in to a Saturday night WC game with a flight home Sunday arvo - only to find out the game has been switched to 2pm Sunday

How early would you typically book interstate travel? Question goes to anyone else in the thread who regularly travels for games.

If the final four rounds was flexible, but then confirmed at mid-season, would that offer sufficient certainty for interstate travelers?

gil letting the league take it up the date to appease the television gods.

they've certainly become creative in the way they extract maximum dollar value. on the other hand, boring 'friday night blockbusters' are only what hundreds of posters on bigfooty seem to complain about every year. you have your wish.
They could wait till half way through the season before doing this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How early would you typically book interstate travel? Question goes to anyone else in the thread who regularly travels for games.

If the final four rounds was flexible, but then confirmed at mid-season, would that offer sufficient certainty for interstate travelers?

I'm planning on booking a July trip next month

I could understand it if the AFL were to change the fixturing a few weeks out, but if it was known when the fixture was released it was going to happen in the last 4 weeks of the season, there would be plenty of time to plan travel around it once the fixture comes out.

That way my point - the last 4-6 weeks is fine (it actually makes sense to avoid the dead rubber syndrome) . It still leaves you 16 weeks to find a suitable date.

My concern is if it stretches further than that and they start doing the entire season 4-5 weeks in advance.

I think Fri / Sat night games should be spread out evenly for all teams as it is - They talk about equalisation but for some reason not when it comes to the prime time slots. I know Gold Coast have been rubbish their entire existence, but not one Friday night match in their history?

Agree entirely. I don't see the harm in putting Gold Coast v a Collingwood/Richmond/Essendon on a Friday night in round 1 or 2 from Metricon. Gold Coast historically always start the season quite well and play a good brand of football.

Agree entirely. I don't see the harm in putting Gold Coast v a Collingwood/Richmond/Essendon on a Friday night in round 1 or 2 from Metricon. Gold Coast historically always start the season quite well and play a good brand of football.

Correct. The best thing to do for Clubs that are struggling or will likely struggle in 2020 is to have Friday night games for them in the early part of the season.

Love to see GWS v Sydney on a Friday night too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back