Rumour AFL to orchestrate Clarko's move north?

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Seems to be one of the stronger rumours/suggestions going around lately. The AFL orchestrated Ron Barassi's move to Sydney in the early 90s and Leigh Matthews' move to Brisbane in the late 90s and we saw how those clubs flourished afterwards. So will they now orchestrate Alastair Clarkson's move north to Gold Coast/GWS? A few members of the media seem to think so...

His son is in his last year of school in 2022 and I can’t imagine him uprooting him at such an important time. There’s also the border issues - imagine a long term shut down and not being able to get home to see family if he decided to go alone

I think if he goes it will be 2023 and he takes next year off

personally I reckon he stays in Victoria

His son is in his last year of school in 2022 and I can’t imagine him uprooting him at such an important time. There’s also the border issues - imagine a long term shut down and not being able to get home to see family if he decided to go alone

I think if he goes it will be 2023 and he takes next year off

personally I reckon he stays in Victoria
Do you think the kind of money the AFL can offer can trump those factors you've raised?

If the money is good enough (say well over 1 million per season), I have no doubt Clarko would take that deal, even if his son is doing VCE next year.

He could really set up his family and children's financial security for life if given a GodFather financial offer to coach the Suns.

Do you think the kind of money the AFL can offer can trump those factors you've raised?

Its rumoured that his Hawk payout is 900k - no need to go to work for a year. Can head to the farm and just chill and then head to the GC the following year for big bucks

If the money is good enough (say well over 1 million per season), I have no doubt Clarko would take that deal, even if his son is doing VCE next year.

He could really set up his family and children's financial security for life if given a GodFather financial offer to coach the Suns.
Clarko has made enough money 10 times over to retire and never work again.

Also, why do people think that you're supposed to set up your children's financial future? Are we raising kids who will never get a job and make their own way in the world. Just imagine the sort of spoiled and unmotivated adults such kids grow up into.

Clarko has made enough money 10 times over to retire and never work again.

Also, why do people think that you're supposed to set up your children's financial future? Are we raising kids who will never get a job and make their own way in the world. Just imagine the sort of spoiled and unmotivated adults such kids grow up into.
Maybe you’ve missed the recent media about house prices. Who wouldn’t want to give their kids a leg-up to own a home in a good suburb. That said, I do reckon Clarko is possibly already in that position.

Maybe you’ve missed the recent media about house prices. Who wouldn’t want to give their kids a leg-up to own a home in a good suburb. That said, I do reckon Clarko is possibly already in that position.

*, yeah, do everything you can to raise good kids but then stop giving a * the moment they turn 18.

Clarko has earned, conservatively, at least $10million (probably more like 15) just in earnings from playing and coaching. Add to that his investments and business interests, he is on absolute easy street. Do you really think kids need that much of a leg-up? And if so, does that mean everyone else on a normal income is disadvantaging their kids that much? I haven't missed any reports. Prices are not so bad that you need to have Alastair Clarkson as your dad to have a good life. A lot of people who whinge about not being able to buy a house have unrealistic expectations, or they are too undisciplined to forego their luxuries and actually save some money. I mean, sure, a bit of help is nice, but you don't need daddy to hand you $500k to get your start. Anyway, just saying Clarko is the last person you would be applying "the providing for his family narrative" to. He's loaded. I doubt he's fussed at all about his finances. He'd be looking for the next challenge that gets him motivated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seriously think you can ignore me?

Wildcard - An opportunity to enter a sports competition without having to be ranked at a particular level.

So being required to be ranked 9th or 10th is somehow not having to be ranked at a particular level?

Answer the ******* question.

Depends how willing Clarko is to turf out one of his old mates.
Correct. I don't reckon he'd be too pleased with the AFL orchestrating Stuey's demise, if this rumour was true.

I was certain he would head to the Suns but have a sneaky suspicion Cameron will be in trouble if GWS don’t play finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back