AFL to reduce player lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the F*** do people not understand that a player in the WAFL/VFL/SANFL system is not nearly as adjusted to the speed of the AFL? you see only one in a blue moon teenager actually have any impact, why is 23 year old bum* sparkie apprentace going to suddenly be playing SANFL between his job going to be good enough to play AFL? they maintain 44 odd players at that paylevel to keep them fit, training with AFL seasoned players so if any drop in he's not F**king lost.

Go and ask any twice a week VFL/SANFL guy if they got a call up into the AFL they would make an impact, or be hopelessly lost without the right training block for 3 months

Anyone who thinks it's a good idea doesnt typically understand AFL and it frightens me you spend so much time on a topic you are clueless about

I don’t mind the idea, though I think you’d need at least 30-35 players to cover some injuries, developing juniors and a bit of flexibility in weekly line up.

Also the problem for Australia is our minor league players don’t get paid enough to be full time sportspeople - is it realistic to expect someone to leave their job for say 3-6 months of an AFL salary?

This could work with the following stipulations:

There needs to be a pool of 20-30 players per team who are not on the AFL list but train during preseason with the club and are physically ready to play should they be called upon.
They all need to be paid at a level that respects that they are full time athletes in a position where they won't be able to play regularly or for another local team, effectively costing them a year of their footballing lives to sit on the bench. Perhaps $180,000
All their medical costs need to be covered by the AFL club even if they are cut for doing their knee
They need to be able to be traded to other clubs or move freely unless contracted for any deal offered should a better one arise.

Small squads will reduce development. There is no place for skinny tall forwards or ruckmen who aren't ready to go now when you're one injury a game for a month away from not having enough players. Whether the draft age rises to 21 to hide it or they just out and admit it, they'd rather take a delisted AFL player over a 17 year old for the next season.

******* dumb. Some temas wouldn't be able to feild a team half way in a season because of inuries.

Not to mention it would actually lower the quality of games. Those diamond in the rough rookies or mature age players wouldn't be picked.
Tigers may have not have space to pick guys like Lambert or Short. Our team would be worse and they would be replaced by our higher picks that have performed worse.

What I mean is that club lists would only bat slightly deeper than the best 22. The big bash structures only recruit enough players to field a team basically, I believe this talk could head club structures in that direction.

Big Bash league teams have like 15-16 contracted players for a 5 week competition.

******* dumb. Some teams wouldn't be able to field a team halfway in a season because of injuries.

Not to mention it would actually lower the quality of games. Those diamond in the rough rookies or mature age players wouldn't be picked.
Tigers may not have space to pick guys like Lambert or Short. Our team would be worse and they would be replaced by our higher picks that have performed worse.

What the article suggests and some of the comments on this forum allude to is a very different model, you cannot take the current playing list structure and reduce it. The idea is that club lists have a core, you need more players you put in place season-long loans or mid-season trades.

The State leagues have a big injection and players and cash and become professional.

Adelaide this year. Starting list of 28 let's say. Hit by injuries, need to undertake loans from State League to cover initially and look to put a couple of players on LTI list. Club also decides to enter into the first trade period and exchange a tall for a midfielder.

It's an EPL model of using loans and trades to make up lists. Player movement very fluid like the players association wants. By the time the players association finish free agency will be after 4 years. So this fluidity of player movement is coming.

It's radical thinking but I like how it could lift the State Leagues that are dying. Their death would be very damaging to Aussie rules as a game so there needs to be something done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back