News AFL to trial new zone rule in second-tier competition next season (Full rule changes inside)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see this being anything other than a disaster. How much time will be wasted reseting all the time?

The AFL will next year trial a rule requiring teams to reset in zones at every boundary throw-in and kick-in as well as every centre bounce in the new second-tier competition.

The radical move will require three pairs of players to be in each zone at boundary throw-ins and kick-ins.

Full rule changes

Last edited:

Not a bad idea. Before people go all hysterical about this, look up the word 'trial'.

Let's see if it works. I've basically given up watching live football because of the congestion. I'm prepared to look at anything that helps with this.

After every stoppage, they will have to wait and reset.

Some things don't need a trial to know they will do more harm than good.

If they introduced a 6 6 6 rule after goals and at the start of games would you also quit the game?

I'm not a fan of the 6-6-6 rule, but there's a big difference between requiring zones briefly at the resumption of play, and requiring zones for every single stoppage in the entire match.

The latter will be an absolute farce. Either almost forcing zones at all times during gameplay, or introducing so much delay at each stoppage as players move back into zones that the game is unwatchable

If they introduce this at AFL level, I would consider giving up the game for good.

Enough of the bullshit rule changes

#endoffootball

Nobody wants a netball version of kicking the ball between the goalposts. Are they going to put a magical barrier at each zone from stopping running players ending up in a different zone?

By the way the new 50m rule (one meter over left/right) should mean will get a dozen 50m penalties per game next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is great news!!

Today's kids love the flair of the NBA and the only way the AFL can compete is to promote high scoring!

Nobody wants to watch games where it's an uneven playing field where defence rules.

FMD this game is run by morons....

Introduce rules that won't improve scoring at all (coaches will still be defensive so nothing will change it).

Then they bring in another 50m for no reason at all. It will be exactly the same as the 50m rule brought in for the 'danger area (or what the * it's called) and the player getting in the way after a 59m penalty.

Who let's these morons in charge of our game. It's ******* pathetic

Game gets worse every year

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Not a bad idea. Before people go all hysterical about this, look up the word 'trial'.

Let's see if it works. I've basically given up watching live football because of the congestion. I'm prepared to look at anything that helps with this.

Yeah everyone knows what the word trial means, but why should the VFL be used as their guinea pig? Why should the VFL be compromised so heavily and reduced to be the crappy 2nd tier league used to trial the AFLs bright ideas? It's pathetic.

I think the AFL have forgotten that "AFL" isn't a sport, and that Aussie Rules is the sport we love. Under their direction Aussie Rules is becoming an absolute joke.

I don’t mind the man on the mark rule.
Except I wouldn’t make it 1 metre, should make it you can’t move sideways until play on called.

The 45 kicks are so often shut off due to players creeping over and sideways.

I'm not a fan of the 6-6-6 rule, but there's a big difference between requiring zones briefly at the resumption of play, and requiring zones for every single stoppage in the entire match.

The latter will be an absolute farce. Either almost forcing zones at all times during gameplay, or introducing so much delay at each stoppage as players move back into zones that the game is unwatchable

Who said there is gonna be zones after every stoppage? If this forces defenders and forwards to stay closer to home and open up the ground isn't that what we've wanted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back