News AFL to trial new zone rule in second-tier competition next season (Full rule changes inside)

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds like you are wanting utopia, 9 games each weekend with 30 goals scored. Fans care about whether their teams Win or lose.
Next time you go to a game and see your side win by 1 goal in a 9 goal to 8 goal match have a listen to the crowd as they walk out , no one will be talking about the low scoring game. They will only be talking about the joy of winning or the despair of losing.

It is only the AFL admin that care about this and because they keep bring it up some jump on the bandwagon.

Why do more goals make it better? Never understood why some think this is the case.
If it was broken then why didn’t people stop supporting it?
More people are disenchanted with the sport now than ever in its history.
Rubbish, last few years I've found my self bored as * during Melbourne wins.

What makes you cheer in a game?
Goals
Tackles
Marks
Bumps
Fights
Skill

Put em in whatever order you want but Goals is always number one, the rest basically don't exist outside tackles which barely result in anything except another 53 tackles.

Games are ******* boring, 23-28 at 3 qtr time. You can watch everything interesting in the game in a 30s highlight package and that's every team.

People don't seem to get it, it's not about how crowds are today because we all keep watching remembering when the game used to be good.
It's the next generation, the generation watching this boring long kicking down the line tackle heavy sport that is a s**t rugby.

Used to be able to get the ball end to end, now a days it's a territory battle where you just bomb it long and try lock it in your half. What a ******* snore.

There have been a lot of changes, it’s difficult to find the consistency. The first two thirds of the pitch we’re playing really well. I don’t know the rules any more, honestly. They change. I’ve been playing professional football for 12 years and the first nine there was no rule changes. And the last few years there has been a lot. I don’t know why, football is such a nice game. But the guys who make the rules should be people in the game. Just so inconsistent.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...hotspur-v-manchester-city-premier-league-live

It seems the AFL is not quite the unique snowflake we all thought it was, if this quote from round-ball football player Kevin De Bruyne is any indication.

People don't seem to get it, it's not about how crowds are today because we all keep watching remembering when the game used to be good.
It's the next generation, the generation watching this boring long kicking down the line tackle heavy sport that is a sh*t rugby.

Used to be able to get the ball end to end, now a days it's a territory battle where you just bomb it long and try lock it in your half. What a ******* snore.

And 20 years of rule changes hasn’t helped it, it’s getting worse. So why the hell are people advocating to keep changing the rules? It’s not fixing it.

Rubbish, last few years I've found my self bored as fu** during Melbourne wins.

What makes you cheer in a game?
Goals
Tackles
Marks
Bumps
Fights
Skill

Put em in whatever order you want but Goals is always number one, the rest basically don't exist outside tackles which barely result in anything except another 53 tackles.

Games are ******* boring, 23-28 at 3 qtr time. You can watch everything interesting in the game in a 30s highlight package and that's every team.

I agree the game is crap, it’s been crap since they started these yearly rule changes.

Sadly Leigh is just a paid mouthpiece for the AFL now,
No, he was actually saying they were custodians and holding them accountable. I do not hear him just agreeing with them on everything like an AFL puppet like a Jon Ralph.
I've heard Leigh talk on this stuff and whist I do not agree with all his views he has said coaches have always caused the game to change and the custodians role is to not be a hostage to the coaches.
Leigh has lived through more eras than most of us. He has seen and played the game when there was no centre square and also out of bounce on full rule would not even existed when he played it in his teenage years. He also played it before and after the interchange bench came into being.
More than happy to listen to someone that really played, coached and thinks about the game and seen all the changes and now distanced himself from coaching to have a more rounded view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree the game is crap, it’s been crap since they started these yearly rule changes.
Rubbish, none of the current rules have made teams zone 30 people into one small section of the ground making ball movement as ugly as an U15s kids game.

Plenty of the rule changes suck, but they are irrelevant in the over all ugliness of the game.

Rubbish, none of the current rules have made teams zone 30 people into one small section of the ground making ball movement as ugly as an U15s kids game.

Plenty of the rule changes suck, but they are irrelevant in the over all ugliness of the game.

Of course they have. The nominate ruck rule requires waiting for the players to take the ruck knock, that 5-10 seconds allow players to push back and or get to the spot of the throw, throw in.
Umpires taking to long to blow their whistle to ball it up simply gets more and more players at the contest, they take way to long hovering around yelling out get it out when they should quickly run in and Ball it up, but even if they did they are then held up by ruck nomination.

Of course they have. The nominate ruck rule requires waiting for the players to take the ruck knock, that 5-10 seconds allow players to push back and or get to the spot of the throw, throw in.
Umpires taking to long to blow their whistle to ball it up simply gets more and more players at the contest, they take way to long hovering around yelling out get it out when they should quickly run in and Ball it up, but even if they did they are then held up by ruck nomination.

2 very ******* minor aspects that even if changed would make * all difference to the game in a meaningful way. Teams bring numbers to every ******* contest. Doesn't matter how quick you throw it up they'll still flood numbers to the ball.

Double whammy this one because the players crowd and the the umpires take time to tell them that they are backing out in whatever direction. I favor ball up, shut up, back out at 90 degrees, any two rucks, free kicks as necessary by the non active umpires . One of the few time that I agree with Brian Taylor.

So what do you suggest needs to happen?
Bring it down to 16 or 15 a side. When it was 36 players 30 years ago it was fine because they were semi pro. These blokes can cover the ground so much you don't as many numbers. I'd take 6 players off the ground.

Better quality players on the field and far more space. Don't need to make the changes at a lower level either because people aren't as fig.

Bring it down to 16 or 15 a side. When it was 36 players 30 years ago it was fine because they were semi pro. These blokes can cover the ground so much you don't as many numbers. I'd take 6 players off the ground.

Better quality players on the field and far more space. Don't need to make the changes at a lower level either because people aren't as fig.

That would fit in to where the AFL is heading, a completely different sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back