News AFL to trial new zone rule in second-tier competition next season (Full rule changes inside)

Congestion didn't just magically appear in 2017.
No, it appeared 10 years prior under Paul Roos choking teams down.

But unless you go full on netball zones, you cant stop that.
At least letting the 3rd man up at contests again it can mitigate the damage.

And yes, I realise it disadvantages teams with good rucks such as my own.

It's already completely unrecognisable from the sport 15-20 years ago and it's not the rule changes. It's the sh*t negative coaching and focus on defence
Comparing it to 20 years ago, I completely agree. But 15? This is where everything changed and you can see similarities in the game. Just not on a grand scale.

I'd say todays games is a mixture of about 6 styles from the last 15 years. I'd say it's a combination of Sydney 05-06, Geelong 07-11, Collingwood 10-11, St Kilda 09-10, Adelaide 16-17 and Western Bulldogs 16

Yes, it's considerably different to 15 years ago, but you will still see parts of Sydney 05-06 shining through game to game.

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Comparing it to 20 years ago, I completely agree. But 15? This is where everything changed and you can see similarities in the game. Just not on a grand scale.

I'd say todays games is a mixture of about 6 styles from the last 15 years. I'd say it's a combination of Sydney 05-06, Geelong 07-11, Collingwood 10-11, St Kilda 09-10, Adelaide 16-17 and Western Bulldogs 16

Yes, it's considerably different to 15 years ago, but you will still see parts of Sydney 05-06 shining through game to game.
Geelong 07-11 and Adelaide 16-17 were attacking, free flowing and high scoring, where is that style in the modern game? Before you say Richmond I would say they resemble more of the Bulldogs 16 brand.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
What a dumb and irrelevant response.

You are the one blaming the coaches who are simply doing what they are employed to do. It’s very relevant because they will continue to do whatever it takes to win. The coaches don’t set the rules, they simply put a lan in place for their group to win with the cattle they have.
The day will never come when coaches will put the look of the game ahead of what’s best for their team.
It is the AFL’s responsibility to look after the look of the game and they are failing miserably.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
No, it appeared 10 years prior under Paul Roos choking teams down.

But unless you go full on netball zones, you cant stop that.
At least letting the 3rd man up at contests again it can mitigate the damage.

And yes, I realise it disadvantages teams with good rucks such as my own.

Go 15 players per team. Means there are 6 players fewer on the field and then you make it a lot harder for any coach to try and choke their opposition. With teams not able to properly zone then zones might collapse entirely, creating a much more attacking competition.

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You can't judge the competition based on the top team. You need to judge it on the middle teams.
None of the middle ranked teams play anything like Adelaide 16-17 or Geelong 07-11. I only brought up Richmond because they are the only team to come anywhere close, but as stated they emulate the Bulldogs of 16 style.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
No it wouldn't be. Going 15 a side would be the most simple solution as it isn't changing the sport, it is just giving the players more room to move.

The sport is already a different sport, it’s a hybrid version of Aussie Rules football.
Going 15 a side won’t change the defensive nature of coaches. And it won’t increase scoring.

Geelong 07-11 and Adelaide 16-17 were attacking, free flowing and high scoring, where is that style in the modern game? Before you say Richmond I would say they resemble more of the Bulldogs 16 brand.
The counter attack aspect once they force the turnover.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Go 15 players per team. Means there are 6 players fewer on the field and then you make it a lot harder for any coach to try and choke their opposition. With teams not able to properly zone then zones might collapse entirely, creating a much more attacking competition.

Good in theory but teams will just get 15 midfielders to play, key Forwards unless they can run up and down the whole ground will be eliminated from the game. And we will be back to where we are now.

All Aust

Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
That would fit in to where the AFL is heading, a completely different sport.
Yup.... Change the field to 100x70M..... increase the rules 5 fold... import players from NZ..... make it a world game so complex the average joe in the street just goes whatthaa? and broadcasters runaway faster than you can say Bray.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Good in theory but teams will just get 15 midfielders to play, key Forwards unless they can run up and down the whole ground will be eliminated from the game. And we will be back to where we are now.

Chris Scott seems to think it will work.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You are the one blaming the coaches who are simply doing what they are employed to do. It’s very relevant because they will continue to do whatever it takes to win. The coaches don’t set the rules, they simply put a lan in place for their group to win with the cattle they have.
The day will never come when coaches will put the look of the game ahead of what’s best for their team.
It is the AFL’s responsibility to look after the look of the game and they are failing miserably.

Exactly right my small minded friend, the coaches will do whatever they can to have the score 1-0, which is why the AFL needs to take responsibility and change some rules to make it harder to be a defensive slog. The game would be even more defensive and boring if the AFL hasn't change the deliberate rushed, out of bounds rules. Chopping of the arms rule, 50 for holding the man after marking etc.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

this will happen with zones at stoppages too. Surely everyone sees that?

They want to open up the game but won't pay free kicks for incorrect disposal and HTB. Game turns into a scrum of guys throwing and dropping the ball when tackled.

This.

Umpires don't have the balls to actually umpire the game and instead are looking to pick out stupid 50m penalties for a player running arbitrarily through a 'protected' zone.

Don't even get me started on their inability to judge kick distance depending on where the ball is located on the ground. :rolleyes:

Apr 25, 2011
Launceston
AFL Club
Richmond
This.

Umpires don't have the balls to actually umpire the game and instead are looking to pick out stupid 50m penalties for a player running arbitrarily through a 'protected' zone.

Don't even get me started on their inability to judge kick distance depending on where the ball is located on the ground. :rolleyes:

Haha yep. You wait the new manning mark rules are gonna cause even more dodgy 50m penalties. They pay 10m kicks then randomly call play on for a 20m kick. Someone find me the Houli one V Brisbane it was a 20m pass called play on.

Back