Opinion AFL Top 100 Players

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Hawkins 62 goals AA v Roughead 40 goals as a Ruckman. I'll give Hawkins the tick there.
2013 Hawkins 46 goals v Roughead 68 goals. AA+Coleman medalist. Roughead a tick
2014 Hawkins 62 goals v Roughead 62 goals. AA. Roughead tick.
2015 Hawkins 46 goals v Roughead 43 goals as a Forward/ruck rover. Roughead tick.

Roughy kicked 4 goals less than Hawkins in 2011 despite missing most of the year with an achilles.
This isn't even taking into consideration any years prior where Roughy > Hawkins by a country mile.

Hawkins had one good year in 2012 but overall has never been close to Roughead in any capacity.
Hawkins was injured for 2013 with a back injury and you could argue that Hawthorn has dominated since 2013, and key forwards obviously kick more goals with better delivery. Hawkins is clearly better than Roughhead.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Hawkins was injured for 2013 with a back injury and you could argue that Hawthorn has dominated since 2013, and key forwards obviously kick more goals with better delivery. Hawkins is clearly better than Roughhead.

No he's not. If anything he is vastly inferior.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Keep telling yourself that.

I've given you my reasons for why Roughead is better. Can you elaborate further on your claim rather than some speculative "X team is better"?

On the flipside, Roughead had to compete with Franklin, Gunston, Breust, Rioli. Who did Hawkins have stealing goals/delivery?

I've given you my reasons for why Roughead is better. Can you elaborate further on your claim rather than some speculative "X team is better"?

On the flipside, Roughead had to compete with Franklin, Gunston, Breust, Rioli. Who did Hawkins have stealing goals/delivery?
And your reasons prove Hawkins is better. To answer your question, Podsiadly, Motlop, Bartel, Johnson.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
And your reasons prove Hawkins is better. To answer your question, Podsiadly, Motlop, Bartel, Johnson.

2 All Australians > 1
1 Coleman > 0
4 Flags > 2

Podsiadly, Motlop, Bartel and Johnson would have kicked no more than 100 goals between them in a season.

In Hawkin's best season (2012), Podsiadly, Motlop, Bartel and SJ kicked 91 goals.

To put it into comparison in Roughead's best season (2013), Franklin, Breust, Gunston and a 13 game Rioli kicked 148 goals.

Hardly the same quality of forwards that Roughead had to compete with. Putting Podsiadly as a comparative figure to Franklin is an absolute insult to a champion player.

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
2 All Australians > 1
1 Coleman > 0
4 Flags > 2

Podsiadly, Motlop, Bartel and Johnson would have kicked no more than 100 goals between them in a season.

In Hawkin's best season (2012), Podsiadly, Motlop, Bartel and SJ kicked 91 goals.

To put it into comparison in Roughead's best season (2013), Franklin, Breust, Gunston and a 13 game Rioli kicked 148 goals.

Hardly the same quality of forwards that Roughead had to compete with. Putting Podsiadly as a comparative figure to Franklin is an absolute insult to a champion player.

Roughead is a versatile superstar. Hawkins is a good one dimensional forward. Roughead by a street IMO.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Priddis is surely too high. Yes he was very good this year and won the Brownlow the year before, but remember even a lot of Eagles fans didn't rate him that highly before this year. A lot of players below him are better footballers.

Cotchin is also too high imo, and even from Richmond players he is not currently as good as Deledio, Rance or Riewoldt.

Eric McKenzie is hard to judge given he didn't play a game all year, so maybe he shouldn't be ahead of guys like Hurley who just made the AA team. Tom Libba in the same boat.

Brandon Ellis didn't have his best year either, would drop him lower.

Brent Stanton way too high.

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Priddis is surely too high. Yes he was very good this year and won the Brownlow the year before, but remember even a lot of Eagles fans didn't rate him that highly before this year. A lot of players below him are better footballers.

Cotchin is also too high imo, and even from Richmond players he is not currently as good as Deledio, Rance or Riewoldt.

Eric McKenzie is hard to judge given he didn't play a game all year, so maybe he shouldn't be ahead of guys like Hurley who just made the AA team. Tom Libba in the same boat.

Brandon Ellis didn't have his best year either, would drop him lower.

Brent Stanton way too high.
You saying you don't think Stanton is in the top 1% of players in the AFL? Genuine superstar. Definitely take him above Bontempelli

pacman

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2006
Sunny Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Probably? What else does he have to do? Some people severely underrate him. His last three years have been irrestibly elite. I would love to know how many players over a three year period have done the following.

Three premierships, two best and fairests, two All Australians.
Good to see some opposition fans rate his ability.
Brilliant defender with elite skills and vision.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
So after a long season of footy I decided to pose the question to the viewing public: Who are the top 100 players in the AFL? This was an order I've compiled over the course of the season taking into account past performances as well as performance this season.

1 Nathan Fyfe
2 Patrick Dangerfield
3 Gary Ablett
4 Scott Pendlebury
5 Joel Selwood
6 Lance Franklin
7 Todd Goldstein
8 Luke Hodge
9 Sam Mitchell
10 Matt Priddis
11 Robbie Gray
12 Dan Hannebery
13 Travis Boak
14 Josh J. Kennedy
15 Tom Hawkins
16 Jarryd Roughead
17 Alex Rance
18 Josh P. Kennedy
19 Harry Taylor
20 David Mundy
21 Dayne Beams
22 Dyson Heppell
23 Cyril Rioli
24 Trent Cotchin
25 Dane Swan
26 Brett Deledio
27 Taylor Walker
28 Sam Jacobs
29 Jeremy Cameron
30 Callan Ward
31 Jordan Lewis
32 Rory Sloane
33 Dustin Martin
34 Jack Gunston
35 Jack Riewoldt
36 Eddie Betts
37 Aaron Sandilands
38 Daniel Talia
39 Shane Mumford
40 Kieren Jack
41 Jack Steven
42 Marc Murphy
43 Andrew Gaff
44 David Armitage
45 Chad Wingard
46 Nic Naitanui
47 Jake Stringer
48 Easton Wood
49 Tom Rockliff
50 Adam Treloar
51 Luke Breust
52 Jobe Watson
53 Josh Gibson
54 Tom Lynch (GC)
55 Dylan Shiel
56 Jeremy McGovern
57 Luke Parker
58 Jack Ziebell
59 Nathan Jones
60 Michael Johnson
61 Eric Mackenzie
62 Stephen Hill
63 Brent Stanton
64 Stefan Martin
65 Nick Smith
66 Mark LeCras
67 Michael Walters
68 Michael Hurley
69 Lachie Neale
70 Nick Riewoldt
71 Brandon Ellis
72 Travis Cloke
73 Bryce Gibbs
74 Isaac Smith
75 Luke Shuey
76 Jack Macrae
77 Heath Shaw
78 Andrew Swallow
79 Marcus Bontempelli
80 Kurt Tippett
81 Shaun Higgins
82 Jarrad McVeigh
83 Luke Shuey
84 David Swallow
85 Ben Cunnington
86 Josh Bruce
87 Michael Barlow
88 Garrick Ibbotson
89 Tom Liberatore
90 Hamish Hartlett
91 Leigh Montagna
92 Liam Picken
93 Ivan Maric
94 Cale Hooker
95 Jimmy Bartel
96 Liam Shiels
97 Taylor Adams
98 Jack Redden
99 Tom McDonald
100 Jesse Hogan

A few I had unlucky to miss out were Harley Bennell, Shane Edwards, Patty Ryder, Brad Sheppard, Patrick Cripps, Mark Blicavs, Jarrad Waite and Brodie Smith

Let me know what you think.
Not entirely sure how you have classified this list. How much weight do you give past career compared to last season's form. If, as you say, past performance is a criteria then I'd swap Watson and Priddis and Riewoldt would be near the top. However, if you are projecting into the next season then you are justified to speculate.

As a Bomber supporter I will stress that Jobe is still our best player and when fit is more often than not in the best few players on the ground. I'm predicting a big year from him. I'd take Goddard ahead of Stanton by quite a distance too.

Freya

Senior List
Dec 11, 2015
Parramatta
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ipswich Town
Not entirely sure how you have classified this list. How much weight do you give past career compared to last season's form. If, as you say, past performance is a criteria then I'd swap Watson and Priddis and Riewoldt would be near the top. However, if you are projecting into the next season then you are justified to speculate.

As a Bomber supporter I will stress that Jobe is still our best player and when fit is more often than not in the best few players on the ground. I'm predicting a big year from him. I'd take Goddard ahead of Stanton by quite a distance too.
The list is obviously on current ability, taking into account past performances as an indicator of what they're capable of. You're right that it will be a big year for Watson but unfortunately not on the footy field. This Roughead v Hawkins argument is ridiculous when you've got Rioli at 23, did anyone watch the finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back