Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
And here we are 3 days later and North have jumped in. This is probably the dumbest list management thing I've ever seen, paired with potentially the funniest outcome I've ever seen.
And in doing so it's served exactly the purpose that minimum list turnovers are meant to - you either give someone outside the league an opportunity or run the risk of losing a senior player anyway. Sounds like there's substance in the form after all.

Not really the right age demographic for us to go spending ~ $1.2m on.
But he's wooden spooners North's age demographic rather than a top 8 Essendon? We have a ton of salary cap space and he'd be a stopgap for the next 2 seasons until Perkins/Goater/Johnson are ready.

We've consistently shown that we don't prioritise midfield depth and this is no different.

But he's wooden spooners North's age demographic rather than a top 8 Essendon? We have a ton of salary cap space and he'd be a stopgap for the next 2 seasons until Perkins/Goater/Johnson are ready.

We've consistently shown that we don't prioritise midfield depth and this is no different.
I agree he shouldve been on our radar if he wasnt

3 year deal. The first 2 only matter, 3rds a bonus if he can give something in that year

Not only is he a big stoppage mid but hes also great at tackling, blocking and has a team first attitude.

Maybe an eye to that we dont feel we need any more mids really. I think Parish and Stringer 2021 years have changed our minds from Dunkley a bit?

Also id say it wouldve forced a Perkins into the VFL midfield if our best 22 ever eventuated, which alot outside of Ants here think we need...... VFL mids that are young

North have a void in the middle. They have Cunnington and Anderson then kids basically.

We’ve got Merrett, Parish, Shiel, with Heppell still around.

We’re not a 2022 premiership side. So what’s the point of recruiting a guy who isn’t likely a 3-5 year best-22 player?

Jake Kelly is the age demographic we’re looking at.

North have a void in the middle. They have Cunnington and Anderson then kids basically.

We’re not a 2022 premiership side. So what’s the point of recruiting a guy who isn’t likely a 3-5 year best-22 player?

We dont have a big young inside mid whos ready yet.

North literally moved Ziebell out, delisted Dumont who can play both inside/out

There midfield group (Include Wings) before delistings was

Cunnington
Ziebell (Played back)
Jed Anderson
L.Davies Uniake
Dumont (Delisted)
Simpkin
T.Thomas
W.Phillips
T.Powell
Dom Tyson (Delisted)
A.Bonar (Played back)

Polec
B.Scott (Wingers/High HFFs)

It a pretty good list of mids

It does seem strange that they had such an oversupply that they needed to move Ziebell and Bonar down back and delisted younger Dumont and Tyson.

Regardless its a great pick just think North wouldve/shouldve been just about the last option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also id say it wouldve forced a Perkins into the VFL midfield if our best 22 ever eventuated, which alot outside of Ants here think we need...... VFL mids that are young
Um, I've been saying we need smalls of all types. Happy for pick #11 to be a midfielder.

I just place a preference on disposal quality over being a tall inside mid.

People think giving 3 years to a 30 year old average mid coming off a torn MCL is smart business?

I got a bridge in Sydney I want to sell you. PM me for details.

We dont have a big young inside mid whos ready yet.

North literally moved Ziebell out, delisted Dumont who can play both inside/out

There midfield group (Include Wings) before delistings was

Cunnington
Ziebell (Played back)
Jed Anderson
L.Davies Uniake
Dumont (Delisted)
Simpkin
T.Thomas
W.Phillips
T.Powell
Dom Tyson (Delisted)
A.Bonar (Played back)

Polec
B.Scott (Wingers/High HFFs)

It a pretty good list of mids

It does seem strange that they had such an oversupply that they needed to move Ziebell and Bonar down back and delisted younger Dumont and Tyson.

Regardless its a great pick just think North wouldve/shouldve been just about the last option

Ziebell is simply not a very good player. He seems OK at the moment because he seagulls possessions at half-back whilst being a terrible defender and a bad user of the ball. Every North Melbourne supporter I know groans whenever he gets the ball and all seem to think if he wasn't the Captain he wouldn't even be playing. Bonar wasn't getting it done in the middle. Moving those guys out of the midfield isn't happening because they're so flush with midfielders, it's because they weren't making the grade as midfielders at AFL level.

So it's Cunnington and Anderson, with LDU / Simpkin / Thomas all quality but yet to put together a full season of quality work, then Philips / Powell / Horne-Francis. Greenwood doesn't necessarily fit their list demographic that well either really.

We've got Merrett, Parish & Shiel who are all now proven commodities in the middle, McGrath & Caldwell would be somewhere between the LDU / Simpkin / Thomas and Phillips / Powell group at the moment given they've not shown consistent performances through the middle. Giving a guy who's ~ 30 to start next season 3 years isn't what we need right now; right type of player, wrong demographic for our current list. If Greenwood was 26, then yes we should well and truly have been all over it.

Well we weren't committed to Dunstan who is the same age as Jake Kelly. If you were to ask me which I'd prefer, I'd prefer Dunstan/Greenwood for our list over Kelly.

Sure we're not premiership contenders, but why enter the year with shallow depth? There's no harm for a side like us to look at our 2022 prospects while simultaneously keeping an eye out for the future. We're always scraping the barrel come finals because half our list is injured/underdone and then we proceed to get smashed in contested football again. We've made finals 3 out of the last 5 years so our aim should be to improve on that.

I'd say a guy like Greenwood is the perfect recruit for our side. 2 years of solid football to teach our young mids how to play tough contested football. It perfectly aligns with Rutten's vision of building a contested brand and he comes free.

Merrett, Parish, McGrath, Langford, Stringer and Shiel are experienced and in their prime now. We theoretically should be having a premiership standard midfield with that level of experience, but we clearly don't. That group had 4 out of 6 who were injured, with one missing the final and two being underdone. Then we have inexperienced players like Caldwell, Perkins and our first round pick this year who are some time away (Caldwell mainly due to being injury prone). We need to fill that awkward gap with some experience as a stopgap until they are ready to replace him.

We should also never make list decisions based on our full strength side considering we're always one of the worst hit by injuries.
It's perfect if Greenwood can't crack our midfield, but that's almost zero chance of happening.

Well we weren't committed to Dunstan who is the same age as Jake Kelly. If you were to ask me which I'd prefer, I'd prefer Dunstan/Greenwood for our list over Kelly.

Sure we're not premiership contenders, but why enter the year with shallow depth? There's no harm for a side like us to look at our 2022 prospects while simultaneously keeping an eye out for the future. We're always scraping the barrel come finals because half our list is injured/underdone and then we proceed to get smashed in contested football again. We've made finals 3 out of the last 5 years so our aim should be to improve on that.

I'd say a guy like Greenwood is the perfect recruit for our side. 2 years of solid football to teach our young mids how to play tough contested football. It perfectly aligns with Rutten's vision of building a contested brand and he comes free.

Merrett, Parish, McGrath, Langford, Stringer and Shiel are experienced and in their prime now. We theoretically should be having a premiership standard midfield with that level of experience, but we clearly don't. That group had 4 out of 6 who were injured, with one missing the final and two being underdone. Then we have inexperienced players like Caldwell, Perkins and our first round pick this year who are some time away (Caldwell mainly due to being injury prone). We need to fill that awkward gap with some experience as a stopgap until they are ready to replace him.

We should also never make list decisions based on our full strength side considering we're always one of the worst hit by injuries.
It's perfect if Greenwood can't crack our midfield, but that's almost zero chance of happening.
We had interest in Dunstan but when the reigning premier comes knocking who's saying no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back