Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You realise the 'contested brand' of football also entails players outside the midfield right?
Yes I do, but it's our midfield that's the most problematic and has been for a long time. If you don't consistently win the ball in the middle and around stoppages, then you're going to struggle wrestling momentum away from your opponent unless you have a whole team of players that run both ways with incredible levels of fitness (Richmond). The EF vs Bulldogs is the perfect example. They overpowered us in the second half.

Whilst not ideal, I can look past overlooking mature depth because I guess there's always a chance that someone develops into that player. Ignoring mids capable of winning contested ball in the draft however is another story. My outlook on our off-season performance hinges entirely on what we do next week. Our first pick simply has to be someone that:
1. Has the ability to develop a contested game at AFL level
2. Is tall enough to take a contested mark

No KPPs, undersized mids or pure outside mids that aren't contested ball winners. We'll see if we've learned from our past mistakes.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes I do, but it's our midfield that's the most problematic and has been for a long time. If you don't consistently win the ball in the middle and around stoppages, then you're going to struggle wrestling momentum away from your opponent unless you have a whole team of players that run both ways with incredible levels of fitness (Richmond). The EF vs Bulldogs is the perfect example. They overpowered us in the second half.

Whilst not ideal, I can look past overlooking mature depth because I guess there's always a chance that someone develops into that player. Ignoring mids capable of winning contested ball in the draft however is another story. My outlook on our off-season performance hinges entirely on what we do next week. Our first pick simply has to be someone that:
1. Has the ability to develop a contested game at AFL level
2. Is tall enough to take a contested mark

No KPPs, undersized mids or pure outside mids that aren't contested ball winners. We'll see if we've learned from our past mistakes.

Is it though?

Parish & Shiel are both very capable contested ball players, Stringer is elite at centre bounces.

It's the next rung of players like Cox, Perkins & Durham that just need time in the system to be able to win the contested ball when they need to.

In a wet slog, we lacked the mature bodies across the field to match the Bulldogs, despite which we actually had more scoring shots to 3QT and had woeful accuracy. If it was dry, or a number of those shots on goal were replayed (and the appalling free kick goals...) we likely get a better return on our scoring shots and are still in the game come the fourth quarter.

It's not that contested ball isn't important, it's just being a little overblown IMO given that Shiel, McGrath and Caldwell were all under-done and are generally capable contested players, and the limited goals meant Stringer's ability at Centre Bounces was curtailed.

There's still plenty of improvement out of the current list to that end, which is exactly what Rutten has said.

I don't disagree that I'd like to see us have a high-quality taller midfielder that gives us extra marking power through the midfield, and can be another player capable of winning contested ball. But I think the EF scoreline wasn't especially reflective of that aspect of our game.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Would you swap our future first for 23 and a future second?

Could grab a mid and Motlop. Bank points for next year and trade up in front of the Davey twins bids.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Would you swap our future first for 23 and a future second?

Could grab a mid and Motlop. Bank points for next year and trade up in front of the Davey twins bids.
I'd throw up.

Motlop would be good but probably don't need him with the Davey's next year.

I don’t know where everyone keeps getting this acl information from. He had a mcl.
Have to admit I heard it mentioned on the radio. Did not check it myself.
Anyway does not change his age or his well below average kicking so my opinion is he does not fit where we should be looking.
We really do not want to be looking at players who only have 2 to 4 years decent footy left IMO .:cool:

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd throw up.

Motlop would be good but probably don't need him with the Davey's next year.

Dont quote me on this but only one of the Davey boys is a forward. Pretty sure there’s a forward and back. It’s a dangerous game trading away a pick but I’m just greedy after last year

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Have to admit I heard it mentioned on the radio. Did not check it myself.
Anyway does not change his age or his well below average kicking so my opinion is he does not fit where we should be looking.
We really do not want to be looking at players who only have 2 to 4 years decent footy left IMO .:cool:
Yep I don’t think we would want him at his age either. I would’ve taken him 2-3 years ago.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Dont quote me on this but only one of the Davey boys is a forward. Pretty sure there’s a forward and back. It’s a dangerous game trading away a pick but I’m just greedy after last year
Yeah fair enough. I'm not against trading away a future pick if it's for the right player. But I just think there will be a lot of talent going around next year and a first round pick would be handy to have.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Is it though?

Parish & Shiel are both very capable contested ball players, Stringer is elite at centre bounces.

It's the next rung of players like Cox, Perkins & Durham that just need time in the system to be able to win the contested ball when they need to.

In a wet slog, we lacked the mature bodies across the field to match the Bulldogs, despite which we actually had more scoring shots to 3QT and had woeful accuracy. If it was dry, or a number of those shots on goal were replayed (and the appalling free kick goals...) we likely get a better return on our scoring shots and are still in the game come the fourth quarter.

It's not that contested ball isn't important, it's just being a little overblown IMO given that Shiel, McGrath and Caldwell were all under-done and are generally capable contested players, and the limited goals meant Stringer's ability at Centre Bounces was curtailed.

There's still plenty of improvement out of the current list to that end, which is exactly what Rutten has said.

I don't disagree that I'd like to see us have a high-quality taller midfielder that gives us extra marking power through the midfield, and can be another player capable of winning contested ball. But I think the EF scoreline wasn't especially reflective of that aspect of our game.
We'll have to agree to disagree. The second half to me was Bont and Treloar lifting their game and overpowering our mids. Parish was the only one that held his own around contests.

Shiel is capable I'll admit that, but he's not reliable (anymore). He doesn't consistently apply himself in contests the way Parish and Stringer do. My opinion of him would change if he can consistently play the way he did from rounds 1-5 last year, but as it stands, I won't assume he'll go back to that.

We have an 'almost' midfield, which is what frustrates me most. Just one bigger, taller body in our midfield and it would change our midfield drastically. Imagine if Stringer was a full-time mid? We'd have one of the best midfields in the league. Not to be unfortunately.

Caldwell and Stringer are key. If both can maintain their fitness, then maybe we'll start seeing a more consistent midfield. I just wanted us to have a decent backup plan if they injure themselves.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Isn’t Perkins and Durham the backup plans? Plus probably this year’s #11 pick.

Its also not like it isn’t easy to pick up a player like this as depth when we get closer. This year you could have your pick of Brodie, Constable, Dumont, Sier, Greenwood, Narkle, etc.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Very good chance pick 51 + 56 are traded to the pies for pick 36,38 or 40 (With the mail Daicos is bid at 4)

Unless were taking 4 and keeping Snelling on rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back