Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted Setterfield last year as a cheap pickup and he'll be even cheaper now. Carlton have been screwing him around playing him on the outside for most of his career, but last night he showed what he can do if given a chance as a centre square mid. We could do worse.
Agree, I don’t think we would have to give up much if he wanted to be a bomber. Get it done Dodo

Lots of talk about midfielders.

From the way the team has been selected since the bye and news/speculation we’ve had recently, I’d suggest the forward line is getting an overhaul.

The guys who should be playing there have all been dropped or retired lately, and we’ve been trying all different things with extra rucks, Stewart, D’Ambrosio, Heppell rolling forward. We seem to be searching for alternatives on our own list, and you don’t need an alternative if you’re happy with what you have. So yeah. Axe may drop.

So particularly looking at the medium and small players.

As far as those who predominantly play as forwards, I have the following list:

Peter Wright - stay
Michael Hurley - likely to retire
Harrison Jones - stay
Aaron Francis - OOC, hasn’t played since R10, trade rumours
Kaine Baldwin - OOC, hasn’t played since R8, should stay
Jake Stringer - stay
Alec Waterman - OOC, hasn’t played since R11, trade/delist/VFL midfield and see what happens
Brayden Ham - OOC, last selected R14 (not counting sub), delist I guess
Matt Guelfi - OOC, stay
Jye Menzie - OOC, new, stay
Tex Wanganeen - injured, stay
Devon Smith - retired
Will Snelling - injured, stay
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - retired

You can go through the wings, young mids and ambiguous talls on the list and add a couple more pseudo-forwards if you want, e.g. Stewart (OOC), Cox, Reid, McBride (OOC), Eyre (OOC), Brand (OOC), Voss, Langford, Cutler (OOC), Martin, Perkins, Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs

Also expect to bring in the Davey boys. But even bringing them into Walla and Smith’s spots leaves us with Francis, Waterman, Ham’s spots open, and maybe a couple more (can’t do everything at once but… we can try).

So who should we be looking at for those small/medium forward spots? Draft or trade targets?

Lots of talk about midfielders.

From the way the team has been selected since the bye and news/speculation we’ve had recently, I’d suggest the forward line is getting an overhaul.

The guys who should be playing there have all been dropped or retired lately, and we’ve been trying all different things with extra rucks, Stewart, D’Ambrosio, Heppell rolling forward. We seem to be searching for alternatives on our own list, and you don’t need an alternative if you’re happy with what you have. So yeah. Axe may drop.

So particularly looking at the medium and small players.

As far as those who predominantly play as forwards, I have the following list:

Peter Wright - stay
Michael Hurley - likely to retire
Harrison Jones - stay
Aaron Francis - OOC, hasn’t played since R10, trade rumours
Kaine Baldwin - OOC, hasn’t played since R8, should stay
Jake Stringer - stay
Alec Waterman - OOC, hasn’t played since R11, trade/delist/VFL midfield and see what happens
Brayden Ham - OOC, last selected R14 (not counting sub), delist I guess
Matt Guelfi - OOC, stay
Jye Menzie - OOC, new, stay
Tex Wanganeen - injured, stay
Devon Smith - retired
Will Snelling - injured, stay
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - retired

You can go through the wings, young mids and ambiguous talls on the list and add a couple more pseudo-forwards if you want, e.g. Stewart (OOC), Cox, Reid, McBride (OOC), Eyre (OOC), Brand (OOC), Voss, Langford, Cutler (OOC), Martin, Perkins, Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs

Also expect to bring in the Davey boys. But even bringing them into Walla and Smith’s spots leaves us with Francis, Waterman, Ham’s spots open, and maybe a couple more (can’t do everything at once but… we can try).

So who should we be looking at for those small/medium forward spots? Draft or trade targets?
yep.
The smalls and a CHF are critical.

It won't happen, but i'd shop Stringer around. Maybe the tigers can sort him out, esp. if Dusty leaves.

On Waterman, we need to get back to basics. If he's not a mid and we need a mid, go get a mid. We barely develop players in their natural position, let alone trying to transform them.

yep.

It won't happen, but i'd shop Stringer around. Maybe the tigers can sort him out, esp. if Dusty leaves.

On Waterman, we need to get back to basics. If he's not a mid and we need a mid, go get a mid. We barely develop players in their natural position, let alone trying to transform them.
Waterman was a mid before he got glandular fever and lost his tank, so that is his natural position. But if he can’t play on-ball then ye

Dunno what the go is with Stringer, usually he’d bounce back after an injury return within a couple of weeks.

Parish and Stringer would be in the trading block if I could get something of value for them.

Parish because I think he the most value and we need to move a midfielder.

Stringer because he is a cherry on top player and we are miles off it.

Easy then, you should have no issues naming a few key defenders we’ve done that with in the last 5 years… it’s exactly what preseasons do to players, so this should be very simple for you…
BZT would be one of the few we've drafted until Brand/Reid and he's a good example of looking barely AFL standard up to this year. He always looked like he had some worthwhile attributes but he's finally got the size and fitness this year to not look out of place in the seniors when he is required.

yep.

We're losing a shitload of experience already and you want to ship off not only the 3rd or 4th most experienced player on our list (pending Heppell) but probably our biggest matchwinner?

Pass.

We're losing a shitload of experience already and you want to ship off not only the 3rd or 4th most experienced player on our list (pending Heppell) but probably our biggest matchwinner?

Pass.
you can replace it.
If Stringer can get us a pick that can be part of a Dunkley trade for example.
I think we'd be nuts not to get in Mundy's ear for a year or two.

i think we rely on things like Stringer being a match winner too often. Jake is a gun, but when he's not on, we don't get much else from him.
Langford, Jones, Baldwin, Perkins - develop them into the HF 3rd tall role.

you can replace it.
If Stringer can get us a pick that can be part of a Dunkley trade for example.
I think we'd be nuts not to get in Mundy's ear for a year or two.

i think we rely on things like Stringer being a match winner too often. Jake is a gun, but when he's not on, we don't get much else from him.
Langford, Jones, Baldwin, Perkins - develop them into the HF 3rd tall role.
We aren't getting much for Stringer. Was only worth a second rounder back when he had a bit of footy left in him. Trade would be negligible in the context of a deal for a player like Dunkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BZT would be one of the few we've drafted until Brand/Reid and he's a good example of looking barely AFL standard up to this year. He always looked like he had some worthwhile attributes but he's finally got the size and fitness this year to not look out of place in the seniors when he is required.

He’s 24 next week and became AFL standard R16 this year, his 5th season. Which highlights my exact point.

Pass.
Can't have him, Langford, Guelphi and Snelling all in the same forward line imo. For all his match winning ability, he doesn't provide enough each game imo.

I also think we should trade McGrath before Parish personally, but a good offer was on the table, I'd move him on.

Can't have him, Langford, Guelphi and Snelling all in the same forward line imo. For all his match winning ability, he doesn't provide enough each game imo.

I also think we should trade McGrath before Parish personally, but a good offer was on the table, I'd move him on.
Simple, move Langford back to a wing where he's played his best football.

Go after Jake Lloyd as a free agent. Watching swans games he is constantly directing, telling backs what to do. Knows when to slow the game down, who does that in our backline?

Not disagreeing, but how are you going to fix a broken team without making real changes.

The list is clearly unbalanced. Who you trade to get picks to allow us to do this? Not that we'd get a lot for Stringer.

Not disagreeing, but how are you going to fix a broken team without making real changes.

The list is clearly unbalanced. Who you trade to get picks to allow us to do this? Not that we'd get a lot for Stringer.
There's a guy wearing #3...

Don’t think it’s a one off-season fix, unfortunately.

The younger guys we’ve brought in need another couple of years before they’re leading the way.

Ahh, apologies I misunderstood. I thought you were can't trade either, but you were saying both.

I'd be ok with both McGrath and Parish being at least put on the market.
I'm not trading McGrath. I'd trade Parish, and have thought so since May.

Don’t think it’s a one off-season fix, unfortunately.

The younger guys we’ve brought in need another couple of years before they’re leading the way.
Absolutely not, but you also need leaders and vets who set the right standards on and off the field. None of our mids really do this. Heppell is likely a ripping bloke, but I've said from day one we'll never win a final with him as captain.

Acts of courage and hardness inspire teams. Redman does this, Caldwell has his moments, and Durham can at times. Hobbs could be.

It's why recruiting Cutler for example was stupid. He was never going to match our needs at the time regardless of his upsides.

Last edited:
I've said previously that we don't need Deven Robertson because he's a Hobbs clone. I've changed my mind. That's why we should chase him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back