AFL Utopia, what does it look like?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Your List is a good find.

Pennant Hills is a very large club in the NW- 11 players drafted It is my understanding their junior teams play in the Swans Zone to provide Pennant Hills with more elite competition ie Swans Zone has more elite teams.
Also, why haven't you included Western Sydney University Giants, 17 drated players?
As far as I am aware, the Western Sydney University Giants list is comprised of GWS academy products outside of Sydney that need to be relocated, typically from the Riverina and ACT. I feel it would be disingenuous to include those as they would not be authentically Western Sydney , and therefore it would not be representative of the AFL's presence in the region.

Mine is 24 teams with 2 12 team divisions.
Top 6 finals series and 3 team pro/rel

Eg using the 2019 ladder

AFL
1. Adelaide
2. Brisbane
3. Collingwood
4. Essendon
5. Geelong
6. GWS
7. Hawthorn
8. North Melbourne
9. Port Adelaide
10.Richmond
11.West Coast
12.Western Bulldogs
AFL Grade B
1. Carlton
2. Canberra
3. Fremantle
4. Gold Coast
5. Melbourne
6. Newcastle
7. North Shore
8. Northern Crocs
9. St Kilda
10.Sydney
11.Tasmania
12.Wollongong

Tasmania have a 6/5 split between Hobart/Launceston
Bulldogs have a 9/2 split with Ballarat
Newcastle have a 9/2 split with Central Coast
Northern Crocs play 8 games in Darwin. 1 in Alice, 1 in Cairns and 1 in Townsville
Wollongong have an 8/3 split with Albury

Fremantle
Gold Coast
Melbourne
St Kilda
Sydney

^ this post encapsulates nicely why the AFL is unlikely to ever consider a 1st and 2nd division concept with promotion and relegation.
Just seeing Carlton and the Swans in a 2nd division.
Absolutely zero chance the AFL would have a mechanism in place where that was even a remote possibility.
And I had to laugh out loud seeing Wollongong in the mix.

There might be 1,000 hamlets around Australia which have produced footballers, but it doesn't mean you put an AFL team there.
Just for reference, according this, there have already been more AFL listed players from Western Sydney clubs (which I have limited to Campbelltown, East Coast, Holroyd-Parra-Blacktown, Penrith and North West Sydney) than Alice Springs (all clubs in the Central Australian Football League except Yuendumu which is about 300km from Alice).

Alice currently has more games played, but as AR becomes more entrenched in Western Sydney, I would be very surprised if this didn't tip in the opposite direction over the next couple of decades.

It also depends on where your distinctions of West Sydney lie. If you were to include Pennant Hills for instance, the number of West Sydney products would increase dramatically.

Folks let not forget this my utopia, and it aint based simply on $$$$$, thats the league we have now.
I am surprised about the uproar of the Alice vs Western Syd, and no one getting uppity about Cairns.

Simply the NT is aussie rules land. Canberra was (Riverina is) Cairns is. Bris & Syd are big enough markets (as has be proven) to get a foothold. And if this (utopian) league had formed when the WAFL/SANFL/VFL/TFL were at their peak (would have needed a genuine visionary that we did not have then) rather than the late 80's early 90's (when even the VFL was nearly bankrupt) we might (I don't know of course) have a better league, without doubt we would have a more even travel schedule and a true national footprint. And it would safe to assume that every location would be different place today if clubs in those regions were verging on 50+ years old today. I think the Green Bay Packers tell us a footy team can change a town. And thrive with a limited population compared to its competitors. Imagine how many people would get central Australia if airlines were forced to put on dedicated flights to meet the demand for the last 50 years? What might it have done for indigenous aussies? You cannot compare todays Western Sydney as it simply does not exist in the time frame this league would have formed.

Folks let not forget this my utopia, and it aint based simply on $$$$$, thats the league we have now.
I am surprised about the uproar of the Alice vs Western Syd, and no one getting uppity about Cairns.

Simply the NT is aussie rules land. Canberra was (Riverina is) Cairns is. Bris & Syd are big enough markets (as has be proven) to get a foothold. And if this (utopian) league had formed when the WAFL/SANFL/VFL/TFL were at their peak (would have needed a genuine visionary that we did not have then) rather than the late 80's early 90's (when even the VFL was nearly bankrupt) we might (I don't know of course) have a better league, without doubt we would have a more even travel schedule and a true national footprint. And it would safe to assume that every location would be different place today if clubs in those regions were verging on 50+ years old today. I think the Green Bay Packers tell us a footy team can change a town. And thrive with a limited population compared to its competitors. Imagine how many people would get central Australia if airlines were forced to put on dedicated flights to meet the demand for the last 50 years? What might it have done for indigenous aussies? You cannot compare todays Western Sydney as it simply does not exist in the time frame this league would have formed.

Very very confused all of this....the Green Bay Packers play in a league without pro / rel where revenues are shared (as well as salary caps and drafts) to achieve competitive balance

In your Utopic model alice springs will be playing in a pro rel competition with presumably every team for themselves

Very very confused all of this....the Green Bay Packers play in a league without pro / rel where revenues are shared (as well as salary caps and drafts) to achieve competitive balance

In your Utopic model alice springs will be playing in a pro rel competition with presumably every team for themselves

You are confused because like many these days you apply a strict business logic to football (and in this case a hypothetical utopia, God help ya). You don't account for the highs/lows and intangibles. Granted footy is a business but not like any business you know. There is a reason many well and truly qualified captains of industry fail consistently when they take charge of club. It is not simply a profit and loss mechanism. And I expect you would well be familiar with footy and those intangibles. FFS when Ed was at the peak if his powers @ ch9 they thought he was a bloody TV CEO, he was a damn reporter, thats why he failed. Its like making Dusty President cos he's the best footballer, ridiculous. Compare the theory of how GBP began and extrapolate that for AS, Im not looking to re-engineer what exists currently. Imagine growth from that emergence in that time.

You are confused because like many these days you apply a strict business logic to football (and in this case a hypothetical utopia, God help ya). You don't account for the highs/lows and intangibles. Granted footy is a business but not like any business you know. There is a reason many well and truly qualified captains of industry fail consistently when they take charge of club. It is not simply a profit and loss mechanism. And I expect you would well be familiar with footy and those intangibles. FFS when Ed was at the peak if his powers @ ch9 they thought he was a bloody TV CEO, he was a damn reporter, thats why he failed. Its like making Dusty President cos he's the best footballer, ridiculous. Compare the theory of how GBP began and extrapolate that for AS, Im not looking to re-engineer what exists currently. Imagine growth from that emergence in that time.

I didn't mean that I was confused

I tend to avoid these 'Utopian' themed threads, because like all 'Utopias', be it Ancient Greek (Hesiod and Plato) or the many since St Thomas Moore, these 'perfect worlds' never have, and never will, exist in reality. They can be semi-interesting for original thought bubbles and perhaps good for thinking of new ideas, but that's about it - except for possible comedic parody.

I'm assuming the suggestion of Alice Springs having its own club was simply a fishing expedition for replies. Comparing the small town of Alice Springs to Green Bay only adds to the silliness.

Core Group

SA

Adelaide
Port Adelaide

WA
West Coast
Fremantle

NSW
Sydney Swans
GWS Giants

Qld
Brisbane Lions