VIC - 10
SA - 9
WA - 8
QLD - 1
NSW - 1
ACT - 1
NT - 1
TAS - 1

6 division games, 16 games against sides in 4 other divisions on a rotating basis each season

Standard Round
THURSDAY NIGHT - 1
FRIDAY NIGHT - 1
SATURDAY - 4
SATURDAY TWILIGHT - 2
SATURDAY NIGHT - 2
SUNDAY EARLY - 2
SUNDAY - 2
SUNDAY TWILIGHT - 2

8 division winners plus 4 "wild card" - final 12, single elimination finals

Last edited:
NORTH EAST
BRISBANE
SYDNEY
CANBERRA
NORTHERN TERRITORY

BIG FOUR
CARLTON
COLLINGWOOD
ESSENDON
RICHMOND

VICTORIA
ST.KILDA
WESTERN BULLDOGS
HAWTHORN
NORTH MELBOURNE

ALLIED FOUR
MELBOURNE
GEELONG CATS
PORT ADELAIDE POWER
TASMANIA

SOUTHERN CITY
ADELAIDE
NORTH ADELAIDE
SOUTH ADELAIDE
WEST ADELAIDE

SOUTHERN SUBURBAN
NORWOOD
GLENELG
STURT
CENTRAL DISTRICT

WESTERN CITY
WEST COAST
PERTH
SUBIACO
CLAREMONT

WESTERN SUBURBAN
JOONDALUP
SWAN DISTRICTS
FREMANTLE
PEEL

VIC - 10
SA - 9
WA - 8
QLD - 1
NSW - 1
ACT - 1
NT - 1
TAS - 1

6 division games, 16 games against sides in 4 other divisions on a rotating basis each season

Standard Round
THURSDAY NIGHT - 1
FRIDAY NIGHT - 1
SATURDAY - 4
SATURDAY TWILIGHT - 2
SATURDAY NIGHT - 2
SUNDAY EARLY - 2
SUNDAY - 2
SUNDAY TWILIGHT - 2

8 division winners plus 4 "wild card" - final 12, single elimination finals
Not a fan.

Utopia would have been the SANFL/WAFL/VFL/TFL growing as equally as possible in the early days to then combine to create promotion relegation. Aussie rules not handing over Canberra to the Raiders. Adding 1 team out of Sydney/Brisvegas/Cairns/Darwin/Alice Springs. Priority on clubs keeping, maintaining and extending (within reason) suburban grounds. But the reality is the game was run by dimwits for 100 years. And to make up for that as quickly as possible the current administrators have become greedy snobs.

Utopia would have been the SANFL/WAFL/VFL/TFL growing as equally as possible in the early days to then combine to create promotion relegation. Aussie rules not handing over Canberra to the Raiders. Adding 1 team out of Sydney/Brisvegas/Cairns/Darwin/Alice Springs. Priority on clubs keeping, maintaining and extending (within reason) suburban grounds. But the reality is the game was run by dimwits for 100 years. And to make up for that as quickly as possible the current administrators have become greedy snobs.

Alice Springs??
Let's put a team in Gundagai while we're at it.

Alice Springs??
Let's put a team in Gundagai while we're at it.

As soon as someone says "promotion and relegaton" in the context of the AFL I think one can expect all kinds of craziness (including the idea of a team in Alice!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shouldn't you be thinking up ways to boost the Heartland Wanderbabies ratings and crowds?

35k rating on fox heartland biggest club blah blah blah

Giants got that on fox for a game against the Suns
With multicultural demographic of western Sydney soccer has more room for growth.

I would say more footballers have come from the Alice than ever will come from western Sydney. If Gundagai can match that metric by all means lets head there, but I doubt it.

There might be 1,000 hamlets around Australia which have produced footballers, but it doesn't mean you put an AFL team there.

I would say more footballers have come from the Alice than ever will come from western Sydney. If Gundagai can match that metric by all means lets head there, but I doubt it.
Just for reference, according this, there have already been more AFL listed players from Western Sydney clubs (which I have limited to Campbelltown, East Coast, Holroyd-Parra-Blacktown, Penrith and North West Sydney) than Alice Springs (all clubs in the Central Australian Football League except Yuendumu which is about 300km from Alice).

Alice currently has more games played, but as AR becomes more entrenched in Western Sydney, I would be very surprised if this didn't tip in the opposite direction over the next couple of decades.

It also depends on where your distinctions of West Sydney lie. If you were to include Pennant Hills for instance, the number of West Sydney products would increase dramatically.

Just for reference, according this, there have already been more AFL listed players from Western Sydney clubs (which I have limited to Campbelltown, East Coast, Holroyd-Parra-Blacktown, Penrith and North West Sydney) than Alice Springs (all clubs in the Central Australian Football League except Yuendumu which is about 300km from Alice).

Alice currently has more games played, but as AR becomes more entrenched in Western Sydney, I would be very surprised if this didn't tip in the opposite direction over the next couple of decades.

It also depends on where your distinctions of West Sydney lie. If you were to include Pennant Hills for instance, the number of West Sydney products would increase dramatically.

Given pennant Hills is west of Olympic Park, you'd have to classify them in western Sydney for GWS purposes

Given pennant Hills is west of Olympic Park, you'd have to classify them in western Sydney for GWS purposes
I just had a look and Pennant Hills still falls under the swans zone. I'd also argue that Pennant Hills and Hornsby in general are pretty culturally different to proper western Sydney, so I think it's fair to exclude them for this purpose.

I just had a look and Pennant Hills still falls under the swans zone. I'd also argue that Pennant Hills and Hornsby in general are pretty culturally different to proper western Sydney, so I think it's fair to exclude them for this purpose.

Yeah fair enough....still worthwhile packaging it up in response to people who think a team in Alice has more legs than western sydney though!

Your List is a good find.

Pennant Hills is a very large club in the NW, 11 players drafted. It is my understanding their junior teams play in the Swans Zone to provide Pennant Hills with more elite competition ie Swans Zone has more elite teams.
Also, why haven't you included Western Sydney University Giants, 17 drafted players; & Balmain, 2 players drafted?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back