AFL Video Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Because low target audience of a few Australia states. They were not happy with sales of AFL 98/99 which they did make

Where as Fifa for example is popular all around the world that plays soccer and follows the top leagues. They sell like hot cakes each year.

Yeah, we bought two different ones at different stages (AFL live and i cant remember the other one). The kids didnt mind one of them but the other was crap. I thought they where to slow and clunky, FIFA and the 2K games are so easy to get around and play. I dont think AFL is a game that translates well to a console.

Because low target audience of a few Australia states. They were not happy with sales of AFL 98/99 which they did make

Where as Fifa for example is popular all around the world that plays soccer and follows the top leagues. They sell like hot cakes each year.
/thread

This topic has been done to death

There is an argument that a good AFL game could be a way to promote the sport overseas (similar to how playing FIFA has heightened the knowledge of Football clubs around the world)

However, no studio in Australia has the budget that can make a AAA game that can compete on the world market without significant backing from either a major producer, or the AFL itself.

Big Ant is the only real answer to a high quality new AFL video game in my well researched opinion..

EA would need a lot of money from the AFL to just get started these days.

Wicked witch and the AFL Live 3 project, nobody knows much about it or it's progress.

Luckily AFL Live 1 was so good that it's longevity has built a group of fans who still enjoy playing it on PC and console versions.

Fans are also building edits and updates for the game, even this year in 2016..it shows all the signs of a classic sports game in terms of gameplay and fun factor for it to still be in demand.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question answered in first reply. Just an updated version of the NES version would be great. One button handballs and the other pumps it down the line to a contest like Dangerfield did on Friday. Kicking goals, stop the line in the middle. Easy

Would so love this.... keep the game play simple, make the graphics awesome and have it AFL licensed with real teams and such

I'd love to see an AFL style FUT but it will never happen.
FIFA is good and big because it's the most popular sport in the world.

Really should have 4 buttons for current consoles, 1 button to kick towards the goals, 1 button to kick it towards a player in the direction you face, 1 button to handball towards the goals, 1 button to handball it towards a player in the direction you face, the longer you hold the ball the further it goes. One shoulder button for sprinting and away you go.

Simply because EA would make no return on their investment into the AFL brand. The game just wouldn't sell enough for EA to care enough to turn it into a cash cow like Madden of FIFA

The sport of AFL is too dynamic and difficult to make a good, realistic game. Besides, if it ever was to be good, it would need a massive company investing a lot of money into a new idea to get it right, and very little people outside Australia would play it, so it wouldn't be worth it for them.

We actually had a solution for this problem, Big Ant were going to make incremental improvements to their promising AFL 1 title back in 2011. The publisher Tru Blu decided the $$$ didn't add up and things have been pretty dire since.

The AFL needs to wise up and realise charging a publisher for a license to make games that lose money is never going to work. They need to gift the license so there is a remote chance of an AFL games series being viable. They talk about growing the game and targeting the grass roots ...how about investing in a good quality console game that kids want to play as part of that strategy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back