AFL Video Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Question answered in first reply. Just an updated version of the NES version would be great. One button handballs and the other pumps it down the line to a contest like Dangerfield did on Friday. Kicking goals, stop the line in the middle. Easy

http://game-oldies.com/play-online/aussie-rules-footy-nintendo-nes

You are welcome - and yes I agree we are due for a new one but the thing with soccer, basketball etc, they have been modeled and build over years and motion captured with the good players etc. AFL is fairly far behind that development - they spit out new soccer games etc like its nothing because they have done the ground work.

Unfortunately as i suspect that is what is setting it back from a real game.

The AFL should pump 20 mill or so into development with 2k games. And do it properly. Ive been having a blast on nba 2k17 these few days at work. If they do that for an AFL game it would be mint.

It's pretty simple: the market for AFL anything is extremely small compared to football/soccer, NBA, NFL, etc. Two of them are completely global games and the other is the biggest sport in the USA.

Therefore there's simply no value to paying the best developers to make a high quality game when it's going to sell so very little.

And that's the end of that.

http://game-oldies.com/play-online/aussie-rules-footy-nintendo-nes

You are welcome - and yes I agree we are due for a new one but the thing with soccer, basketball etc, they have been modeled and build over years and motion captured with the good players etc. AFL is fairly far behind that development - they spit out new soccer games etc like its nothing because they have done the ground work.

Unfortunately as i suspect that is what is setting it back from a real game.

The AFL should pump 20 mill or so into development with 2k games. And do it properly. Ive been having a blast on nba 2k17 these few days at work. If they do that for an AFL game it would be mint.

You'd need to sell 2 million copies to break even on that, given that there's less than a million consoles in Australia you'd have to sell 2 copies per console, other than that your idea is sound :p

You could put it on PC as well.

Not sure that would make up the shortfall... Sports games do not sell well on PC (Even the big name ones).

You'd need to sell 2 million copies to break even on that, given that there's less than a million consoles in Australia you'd have to sell 2 copies per console, other than that your idea is sound :p
yeah true and if the AFL was interested in growing the game overseass etc through media... they would write it off as a loss and not bank roll Gil with a bonus this year.

;)

Its a small price to pay for long term gain considering the AFL isnt going to go broke anytime soon.

My friends and I were always amused at the Chappelli lookalike between quarters holding a very phallic looking microphone.

cheppli.jpg

There is a hopeless, hapless wannabee that claimed to be core to the game but thankfully was moved on before he could do much damage - I only hope he isn't in the games industry any more.
That sounds like an interesting story. Was this somone claiming to have contributed more to the game after the fact? Or while still employed?

Yeah, we bought two different ones at different stages (AFL live and i cant remember the other one). The kids didnt mind one of them but the other was crap. I thought they where to slow and clunky, FIFA and the 2K games are so easy to get around and play. I dont think AFL is a game that translates well to a console.
AFL would translate fine to a console, it's a unique game but they wouldn't have to make things vastly different to other sports games.

It's just all about money. AFL is a drop in the ocean compared to a game like NBA 2K or FIFA regarding the audience, and these companies aren't going to put huge amounts of money into a game that will sell nowhere what a soccer or basketball game does.

I enjoyed AFL Live 2004 but it's clear that development is what holds these games back.

We'd need a really good indie developer or someone with a bit of cash willing to make the game. Problem is I don't think it would ever be profitable to make that sort of game.

Afl Footy is a 360° game on a massive arena with 36 active participants. Add the random bounce of the ball, the weird and unique scoring system, tackling, free kicks, speccies, checkside/banana kicks, knock ons, soccers off the ground, collisions, variable weather etc and you have one of the most complex game engines in history.
You'd need a crack bunch of developers, (konami please!) an obscene budget and probably a minimum of 3 iterations before you'd have a product that felt authentic.
As others have said the fact such a game isn't likely to be purchased by many people outside Australia means the profit margin just isn't there, therefore any future afl game is likely to be made on a shoestring budget. And it wouldn't do the sport justice.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still play AFL Live 1, pretty fun game. If they just figured out how to spread the play out a bit more and reward pacier players it would have been amazing. So check that out if your keen on an AFL game

That sounds like an interesting story. Was this somone claiming to have contributed more to the game after the fact? Or while still employed?

He used it to get a job elsewhere after the fact.

Low act. Upset quite a few people at Big Ant that actually did the hard yards.

I think in reality its the oval shape of the grounds that does it in. Rectangles just seem to work so much better for camera angles.

Would need to dumb down the rules (no deliberate out of bounds for example).

Basic controls:

X to drop punt and jump, O to torp and punch, □ to handball and tackle , /\ to Grubber. L1 sprints. Hold R2 and X to Banana kick. R2 and □ to dive tackle.

I think a lower cost (im assuming) option would be to make a sim manager game like Football Manager- essentially playing with spreadsheets but for fans would be fun.

AFL Live 2005
Would always get hammered by Port in the final with Treadrea kicking 16

Tried to google cheats and tips. All we found was one question that said, 'Why is Peverill black?'

Solid game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back