afl vs players pay dispute

Remove this Banner Ad

They've already recieved 40% of their income and they're offering to give up 50% for 8 weeks? So generous and thoughtful

theyve completed their obligations re pre season, they couldnt earn elsewhere at the time,

now they arent working, its a different case.

a question? Are they allowed to work elsewhere? Hows that go with the salary cap?

again the executive need so answer why they didnt have better mitigation for this. Clearly been spending like drunken sailors

The players are having their pay docked for 2 months which equals about 8% annually

Gil and CO are taking a 20% reduction in their annual salaries

Now i'm not a rocket scientist but it seems to me like 20% is more than 8%

Poor draftees only $600 a week as an 18-19 year old

Excuse me while I get out the worlds smallest violin for them

but not even across the player group. If danger said sure no problem he would be being lambasted for not caring about players in the battler range

That’s why they have a union. You may not care, but they do.

Don’t bother responding either. I long ago ceased respecting your views. Ciao

The union can argue all they want, if there is no money there is no money.
When they negotiate the CBA the public can usually respect the players requests for a bigger percentage, The point here is they can't expect the public to give a * about the poor players when there are 3-4 hour lines outside centerlink.

If Draftees were at uni or in a trade instead of playing footy how much money would they be earning right now?

Also stop being such a baby.

but not even across the player group. If danger said sure no problem he would be being lambasted for not caring about players in the battler range

Yes and that's where a percentage decrease isn't really fair, like someone else suggested offer everyone a lump sum until they are playing again.

The players are having their pay docked for 2 months which equals about 8% annually

Gil and CO are taking a 20% reduction in their annual salaries

Now i'm not a rocket scientist but it seems to me like 20% is more than 8%

Poor draftees only $600 a week as an 18-19 year old

Excuse me while I get out the worlds smallest violin for them
Wouldn't 2 months be 16.7% annually? I'm no rocket scientist, though.

What about someone like Marlion Pickett who isn't a 18-19 year old?

What about all the people who are now unemployed, many who aren't 18 or 19...

It sucks for him but s**t happens in life

The union can argue all they want, if there is no money there is no money.
When they negotiate the CBA the public can usually respect the players requests for a bigger percentage, The point here is they can't expect the public to give a fu** about the poor players when there are 3-4 hour lines outside centerlink.

If Draftees were at uni or in a trade instead of playing footy how much money would they be earning right now?

Also stop being such a baby.
Can’t help it if I find you to be incredibly thick. Previous topics have led us to this path.

They have a union, who are negotiating on their collective behalves. Brian Cook today said the cuts will be significant, think you’ll find they’re negotiating terms relating what happens if the break is extended, and requesting transparency from the AFL asking for their set of accounts and how much they’re cutting back.

Players will give up a substantial amount, make no mistake. They’re within their rights to plan ahead and get a MOA of what the near future looks like. What other industries are facing or what the public thinks is largely irrelevant.

What would they be earning if they were at Uni etc? Well pretty soon that’ll be $550 + $550 like everyone else moved onto emergency welfare schemes. So why care about them negotiating with their own union so that their least paid can get somewhere in the same realm? Less strain on the public network.

What about someone like Marlion Pickett who isn't a 18-19 year old?
And how much worse off is Marlion going to be going from $100k (and hes probably getting more then that as he would have signed a new deal as a premiership player) to $87k for the year, compared to where he was 6 months ago plying his trade at Sth Freo? I hazard to guess he is still better off.

Can’t help it if I find you to be incredibly thick. Previous topics have led us to this path.

They have a union, who are negotiating on their collective behalves. Brian Cook today said the cuts will be significant, think you’ll find they’re negotiating terms relating what happens if the break is extended, and requesting transparency from the AFL asking for their set of accounts and how much they’re cutting back.

Players will give up a substantial amount, make no mistake. They’re within their rights to plan ahead and get a MOA of what the near future looks like. What other industries are facing or what the public thinks is largely irrelevant.

What would they be earning if they were at Uni etc? Well pretty soon that’ll be $550 + $550 like everyone else moved onto emergency welfare schemes. So why care about them negotiating with their own union so that their least paid can get somewhere in the same realm? Less strain on the public network.

Imagine still being sad about things that happened years ago

No one actually cares if they are negotiating, as you said they are within their rights to do so. Everyone's issue is people like Dangerfield and Riewoldt trying to play the PR game thinking the public will have any sympathy for them. People are dying and Jack is out here going on about how great they are for playing a bushfire game....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one actually cares if they are negotiating, as you said they are within their rights to do so. Everyone's issue is people like Dangerfield and Riewoldt trying to play the PR game thinking the public will have any sympathy for them. People are dying and Jack is out here going on about how great they are for playing a bushfire game....
Didn’t by any chance catch 9 news just now did you? They pretty much covered it in full.

As I said on page 1. Ensuring their lowest paid are least affected. You may not care but oh well.

If my maths is correct a 50% pay cut for 2 months equals a 8.33% cut for the year, at a time when footy departments have been decimated. Tell em they're dreaming. In saying that given that all sponsorships will massively drop over the next couple of years as will advertising the players are going to cop it in the neck after the next tv rights negotiation and all pays will go down then.

Players need to realise short term pain for long term gain.

Put clubs out of existence, means less jobs for players.

Also the AFLPA wanted a percentage of revenue generated, which currently is about $0

A report that a club stood down 100 out of 130 backroom staff. The thirty backroom staff remain compared to 45 players

isnt that a more realistic number of paid employees?. Id say its more in line with an arts organization like the australian ballet

those just seem like fantastic numbers and no doubt where the fat of the recent years was going, not the players who put the show on

and all this players v afl is a nice diversion from the real question. How could the afl manage itself so badly up till now?

There’s been some good articles going around, but the gist of everything is in the current environment clubs have no incentive to save money at all, and may as well spend everything they have, hence the bloated staff lists at all clubs.

It has become an arms race to make it look to the outside world they were doing something, and if one club won a flag with a person employed who advises players which Netflix series to binge on, everyone else would follow.

That will now stop, I also think the afl may have to make a tough choice for the next tv deal and wouldn’t surprise me to see all games on a paid for streaming service and none on FTA except maybe finals.

Cause they pulled the pin on the season. The players wanted to play - but the AFL wouldn't allow them to fulfil their contractual obligations.

Of course it's not the AFL's fault, but legally it was them - not the players, that are responsible for the contracts being breached.

Of course the AFL won't to sue the government for causing them to stop the players from playing.

So unless the players stop being campaigners, the AFL will be left carrying the can.

Hmm let the AFLPA go with that narrative if they want to keep trying to dig themselves out of the hole they are in.

“We wanted to play but the big bad AFL stopped us”

Didn’t by any chance catch 9 news just now did you? They pretty much covered it in full.

As I said on page 1. Ensuring their lowest paid are least affected. You may not care but oh well.

Too busy being angry to actually read what I said

It's fine they are negotiating but they can't expect the public to have sympathy for them at a time like this regardless if it is Dangerfield or a bloke who hasn't played a game. $600 a week for a few months is better than being unemployed.

Yes it's funny how management always "share the pain" by reducing their pay by 25% of the amount they expect the employees to accept. Not that I have a lot of sympathy for the players but they haven't had the chance to build up wealth over 40 years like the commissioners have.

It should be scalable, for example a rookie shouldn’t have to take 80% but someone like danger should take 90%

theyve completed their obligations re pre season, they couldnt earn elsewhere at the time,

now they arent working, its a different case.

a question? Are they allowed to work elsewhere? Hows that go with the salary cap?

again the executive need so answer why they didnt have better mitigation for this. Clearly been spending like drunken sailors

I really don’t think any work they do outside their clubs now will be counted towards salary caps.

Too busy being angry to actually read what I said

It's fine they are negotiating but they can't expect the public to have sympathy for them at a time like this regardless if it is Dangerfield or a bloke who hasn't played a game. $600 a week for a few months is better than being unemployed.
Again, why should they give a hoot what the public thinks? Think you're drastically overstating the worth of the public.

Yes a bushfire game which was so bruise free it was as if they were practicing social distancing early

In a majority of disputes i take the players side, but this time for the future of the game they need to see the seriousness of the whole situation and be less selfish.
They need to think about the 10's of thousands of fans who are losing their jobs.

Again, why should they give a hoot what the public thinks? Think you're drastically overstating the worth of the public.

Then why bother have players come out and talk about how great they are playing bushfire games, how they have mortgages to pay and other sob stories, if it's just about negotiations then shut the * up and just do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back