afl vs players pay dispute

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
What does everyone think about the whole situation.
I think a solution may be a pay ceiling.

I think the position of the AFLPA (via its president) that there are many intricacies to work through is totally correct.

Eddie McGuire suggested tonight that it will end up being a case of game needs $____ to continue, cuts need to be made to work backwards from that point. So the cost will be substantial. Thousands laid off across the industry already. Some clubs picking and choosing which staff to stand down based on financial situation and not necessarily role importance says it all.

But back to the players, of course there are intricacies to work through. Like how long does this pay cut last for? What provisions to include if it lasts longer (likely will), it will be ok for the Nat Fyfe, Dangerfield, Pendlebury’s in the comp, they’ve accumulated enough to get by, first and second year draftees might be down to somewhere between $400-600 a week if the 79% gets approved, rightly so they need to know how long for and what clauses are in play for extensions to the shutdown. They have to look after all players.

I wonder how many of the estimated million plus people who were laid off over the last couple weeks got to say to
their employers, "I tell you what, I'm prepared to accept a 50% pay cut for the next two months". The players said
this AFTER they watched the clubs and the AFL lay off 80% of their lower paid staff with nothing. Someone should make
Dangerfield stand in the line outside the Geelong Centrelink for the afternoon. He'll be able to tell everyone there about
all the great work he's been doing in the community. And he's supposed to be one of the smart ones.

Obviously there are intricacies, the players aren’t going to say we will take an 80% pay cut to then find out the commission only ever take a 20% cut and that the game had a lot more money then they were making out.
they just made a mess of it. They really should of came out and said they realise they will most likely have to take a bigger cut but still need a better understanding of the financial position on the league before anything can be agreed on and more detail on how the cuts will be rolled out. Simply acknowledging they may have to take a bigger cut would’ve taken the heat off them. They are in a war they can’t win and they know that.

Loved it the other week when mr flogside was on tv and said it wasn’t about money but the players wanted a full season. Hilarious because the players are always so greedy and self entitled, Everytime There is a new brodcast rights deal it gets drawn out and ends up with the players demanding more money. Take a pay cut or it will be a 10 team comp Clowns

I think people just need to have some common sense and be prepared to be flexible this year. What the AFL and Clubs will be able to pay is largely going to rely on what revenue they can generate. We will have to see how much, if any, of the season can be salvaged.

I think at present the AFL should be in survival mode in that players are given enough of what they have to ensure they have no hardship, that means players of the lower end of the payment spectrum get a lot more and the highest paid players a smaller fraction of their contracts and if we can get more footy played then we will look at giving the players as much as the competition can afford to.

I think the players want to play as many games as humanly possible when they will be able to, because the playing of games is what will keep clubs afloat, save jobs and get them paid. If that doesn't happen then it is not going to matter much what people want or demand.

It’s quite simple really I think... AFL says take the pay cut or some clubs might fold. Can’t see the AFLPA then advising their members to vote out of existence some of their jobs.

Imagine having a front-loaded contract like Jack Martin? Meant to be $1,000,000 this year (2020) and then $500,000/yr from 2021 to 2024. He might lose half of his best year.

Then I’m sure there are guys who have back-loaded contracts who are going to lose from their worst year.

Timing is everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players are really tone deaf, Jack Riewoldt was basically saying they should be recognized as heroes because they played one charity game for the bushfires like it was any skin off their nose.
Riewoldt came across as one of those archtypical dumb Tasmanian footballers that's lived in a hero-worship bubble for too long.
By christ have I seen a few of those over the years, never put a microphone in front of them.
Cringeworthy.

I loved Tom Rockliff saying they weren’t selfish and that some players had investment properties that they needed to make repayments on

Yes, many of us were devastated to hear about this unfolding tragedy of some players struggling to make the payments on
their fourth and fifth investment properties. Perhaps an AFL Player Investment Property Payment Relief game can be staged
when footy resumes to help relieve them of this crushing burden.

Afl footballers career on average is less than 1/6th of other careers .
As such players taking a 50% pay cut for 6months is equivalent to someone else signing up for a 50% cut for more than 3 years.
I wonder if some of the ex players like Tredrea weighing into this are willing to put their hand their pocket and give some of what they earned ??
A bigger percentage cut with a repayment scheme into the future seems common sense .

Afl footballers career on average is less than 1/6th of other careers .
As such players taking a 50% pay cut for 6months is equivalent to someone else signing up for a 50% cut for more than 3 years.
I wonder if some of the ex players like Tredrea weighing into this are willing to put their hand their pocket and give some of what they earned ??
A bigger percentage cut with a repayment scheme into the future seems common sense .

Their work life does not stop when they retire though, you are making it sound like it’s the only job they will ever have.
If you or I can live on 100k per year then couldn’t an AFL player short term, let’s face it they get almost everything for free which we certainly don’t.
Short term pain for long term gain should be of course the goal, but for right now they need to come to the party. On the other hand if Gil and co won’t match it then why should the players.

Reiwoldt bathing himself in glory during this period. "Putting their bodies on the line" for the fire charity game - and using that as an excuse for moderate pay reduction during COVID-19. What a gutter comment...
It wasn't for charity if you are using it as leverage Jack!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back