Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Just a thought.

I was thinking the other day about Australias World Cup campaign and hwow everyone has jumped on board etc.

Now believe me I want Australia to make the World Cup and wish them all the best but do you think deep down that the guys at the top of the AFL would want Australia to miss out of the World Cup??

Only because it would take pressure off the AFL a little because people may not be interseted in soccer for a few years etc.

Just a thought....

I firmly believe that both AFL and Football can both be successful in this country.

I agree!

Cuzz,
I understand your point. But if the AFL is run by Australian's, then i'm sure Australian's support Aussies. I may be wrong. Because $ talks these days. But i'd like to hold on to some form of idealism

I agree!

Cuzz,
I understand your point. But if the AFL is run by Australian's, then i'm sure Australian's support Aussies. I may be wrong. Because $ talks these days. But i'd like to hold on to some form of idealism

This is my point along with the kids that may choose soccer instead of AFL if Australia have a succesful World Cup campaign.

I'm surprised how sensible people are being on an AFL vs Soccer thread. I was expecting a bit of an argument and some stupid comments being thrown in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The A-League did the right thing by running it in the summer against cricket. It would never survive against AFL.

Just a thought.

I was thinking the other day about Australias World Cup campaign and hwow everyone has jumped on board etc.

Now believe me I want Australia to make the World Cup and wish them all the best but do you think deep down that the guys at the top of the AFL would want Australia to miss out of the World Cup??

Only because it would take pressure off the AFL a little because people may not be interseted in soccer for a few years etc.

Just a thought....

No ones gonna miss out mate,its not like they play off against each other, it doesnt matter who is more popular, either sport growing, will benefit each other, healthy competion would be welcomed by the big knobs, more sport fans, equals more dollars, more sponsers, fringe sporting revenues will increase, i.e.,hotels, catering, merchandise etc, etc,, and for sports in general, niether sport will grow smaller, only bigger, both sports cant lose!

P.S. I cant believe I seen 3 whole goals before half time!

My personal opinion is that the AFL, the AFL media and a lot of supporters are an absolute embarrasment when it comes to their paranoia about soccer.

I had a gutful of it tonight on 3AW Sports Tonight. Everytime there is a major soccer game on they role out the old 'straw poll' of 'Whats more popular sport AFL or soccer'.

I love Gerard Healy as a commentator but he really goes over the top on this. When he interviews Simon Hill there's always the sly digs at soccer and how boring it is.

I am absolute AFL-nut but the penalty shootout to reach the World Cup finals was probably my most memorable sporting moment. Its something different to have the whole country behind the one team.

As a poster said earlier, the two sports can co-exist quite happily - especially in Melbourne.

Lets just enjoy the Socceroos.

The A-League did the right thing by running it in the summer against cricket. It would never survive against AFL.

yes soccer chiefs consulted the afl calendar before scheduling world cup mathces. Ha ha.

the qualification for world cup runs for a good 12 months. the afl season doesn't even rate as a consideration in their mind.

yes soccer chiefs consulted the afl calendar before scheduling world cup mathces. Ha ha.

the qualification for world cup runs for a good 12 months. the afl season doesn't even rate as a consideration in their mind.

You do know the difference between 'A-League' and 'World Cup' don't you?

Just been watching the World Cup qualifier between Australia & Qatar, and there's 50,000 at the Telstra Dome....switch over to have a look at the Ford Ranger Cup cricket match between Victoria & Queensland at the MCG and it's like virtually no-one there. Which gives you an idea just how far soccer (football) has come since 2005.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back