Moved Thread AFL wants to get into eSports

Remove this Banner Ad

There's not a lot of benefit to debating why eSports are entertaining ITT. Also debating whether it is a sport at all - who cares? What else do you want to call it... competitive gaming? Bit wordy, innit? eSports is a catchy and appropriate tag - the broadcasts are rather similar in format to sports broadcasts, there's teams, and it's competitive.

The fact is it's a popular and growing industry. That its showpieces are live competitive tournaments which attract thousands of people physically and tens of millions on screen (more people watched a LoL tournament grand final than the NBA finals game 7 in 2016) is reason for the AFL, an organisation that owns a stadium, to get as involved as possible.

Furthermore, if eSports grow into something that takes viewers away from the AFL, then there's all the more reason for them to invest in it. Bonus that it's the most popular competitive thing streaming on the internet, which is where more people are going to for entertainment. It's popular among some big demographics like Asians and Gen-Y, demographics that are both important now and in the future.

The more I think on it the more shrewd I think this possible investment is. That being said, eSports can't be forced on footy fans if the AFL uses club names for teams.

An investment isn't an investment unless you can generate returns my man.

There is no point buying a multi purpose event space if you can't host different kinds of events there.

Exactly my point.

Gaming is apparently on the agenda for the Asian games, bit of a joke if that is true, but what can you do.

Haven't read thread so maybe has been posted before.

Exactly my point.
Your point is ridiculous and false.

Governments make investments for annualised or longer term returns.
http://www.futurefund.gov.au/

That doesn't make a government a for-profit organisation.

There are multitudes of not for profit superannuation funds that do nothing but invest for good returns for the members that contribute to the fund.

Come on now.

Your point is ridiculous and false.

Governments make investments for annualised or longer term returns.
http://www.futurefund.gov.au/

That doesn't make a government a for-profit organisation.

There are multitudes of not for profit superannuation funds that do nothing but invest for good returns for the members that contribute to the fund.

Come on now.
Again, that's my point. You're suggesting that superannuation members get nothing (no profit) from their investments.

Again, that's my point. You're suggesting that superannuation members get nothing (no profit) from their investments.
You're extrapolating the definition of profit to suit your point of view.

I suggest you google the definitions of what a for-profit and not-for-profit organisations are.

There are individuals in not-for-profit organisations that get paid very healthy wages - that doesn't alter the definition of the organisation. An employee getting a wage or someone getting great super doesn't change the definition either.

I'm a massive fan of LoL in particular. I watch more of that than AFL (because there is more to watch, many leagues ect). I'm just as invested in it as I am Essendon.

I agree with what another poster said on another page, I enjoy watching it more than I do playing. It's entertainment at the end of the day. I love it. Never been to an event though, and likely wouldn't go to one if it was at Etihad anyway because I'm more interested in Foreign leagues. Way to underdeveloped here.

This was my point initially.

It seems to have turned into "hey, gaming is popular! I love gaming"

That's great but whatever.

Why is the afl doing this? What's the strategic goal?

It all seems very strange.

"Oh it's to make money!"

Ok great... so what... just go into whatever to make money now? Maybe the AFL could do a mining co-venture with Gina Rinehart? Plenty of money there.

A few european soccer teams have invested recently, and have teams. And alot of NA league teams are financially backed by NBA teams/figures. Rick Fox even owns a team. Shaq/a few others IIRC financially backed a team (cost 1m+ before they got relegated).

I'd figure it's less about AFL running a league, but more about AFL teams getting involved, or even just having Etihad host an event. I mean there is a pretty big event in Sydney this weekend for Counterstrike.

Last edited:
Everything is massive in Asia.

But seriously, at the Asian games ! ? o_O

When I heard about that I didn't bat an eyelid because I wouldn't watch it anyway, and I'm not sure it would work, but the amount of people who watch it there is atronomical compared to other areas of the world. Like 90% of the biggest esports viewbase is from china iirc.

You're extrapolating the definition of profit to suit your point of view.

I suggest you google the definitions of what a for-profit and not-for-profit organisations are.

There are individuals in not-for-profit organisations that get paid very healthy wages - that doesn't alter the definition of the organisation. An employee getting a wage or someone getting great super doesn't change the definition either.
Yes, that's right, I have a point of view and it's about the AFL and its employees/clubs getting richer. Forget the technical definitions and legal jargon for a minute. Does anyone think the price of football admission for the general public will come down once they start raking in the dough from this exercise? Ha ha! It's all about increasing pay packets.
... 'Non-profit' my arse. Non profit for the general public, mucho profit for those involved. ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the AFL can be onto a winner here. Whilst everybody is correct in saying it's a large and growing industry, from an organisational perspective it's still very disjointed, involving competing administrative bodies with disjointed co-ordination etc. It would greatly benefit from a large central body to co-ordinate and administer the esports scene through tiered league systems, an increase with negotiating power with sponsors etc. The esports scene as a whole can benefit from the AFL's experience as a centralised body and its years of experience in managing and organising competitive events of this nature. The AFL and its clubs can then benefit in getting a slice of the pie, and brand extension, in ways that aren't too dissimilar. The AFLW competition was getting media coverage in websites and methods that it would have never gotten traditionally, and esports can be no different in terms of branding.

Errr it's not a bad thing.

The article is about the AFL starting an esports league, not renting their stadium for an event.

Maybe have a read before you take off on a rant.

I did read it and my interpretation of the article was essentially the same as the below poster. I think the ownership of Etihad is central to the whole discussion, basically opens up a potential to get further involved in the industry.

I'd figure it's less about AFL running a league, but more about AFL teams getting involved, or even just having Etihad host an event. I mean there is a pretty big event in Sydney this weekend for Counterstrike.

I agree with what another poster said on another page, I enjoy watching it more than I do playing. It's entertainment at the end of the day. I love it. Never been to an event though, and likely wouldn't go to one if it was at Etihad anyway because I'm more interested in Foreign leagues. Way to underdeveloped here.
inb4premierleague>aleague

I meant the viewers and spectators, not the people actually playing the games.

People in that 11-20 age bracket who watch esports usually do do because they actually don't enjoy sport, and thus this could be a pretty useless endeavour.

I'll admit, I didn't actually read the whole article, but it does seem like the AFL is doing this to create interest in Aussie rules.

No they are doing this to make MONEY from their billion dollar asset at Docklands!
I think they should go for it a million miles per hour.

Because this is a screen based "sport", I am assuming they would have to hang massive screens from the roof for the spectators to watch the competition.

have a look at some of the esports staging

CQYVnHeXAAAkcGC.jpg:large

iem-katowice-schedule-revealed.jpg

if it helps think WWE and their titantron setup, which has been done at Etihad Stadium before

Yeh, well, there you go: off the roof plus surround sound podium - more screens than you can poke a stick at.

Apart from making money, I'm wondering whether any of the facilities could be reused for the footy (obviously not the bits and pieces on the field, but I'm thinking of giant screens hanging from the roof and more electronic glitz around the stands.

Be assured - it will come.

Sounds like a great idea, eSports.. is there an indication of time frame for this? I am assuming it will be away from any and all AFL fixtures

The video game industry is the single largest entertainment industry on the planet.

$91 billion dollars in 2016

Bigger than
NFL
NHL
NBA
AFL
WWE
pr0n

I'd also like to point out that the average age of a gamer is around ~27. People with disposable income.

Can't game without a disposable income,but I digress

The video game industry is the single largest entertainment industry on the planet.

$91 billion dollars in 2016

Bigger than
NFL
NHL
NBA
AFL
WWE
pr0n

I'd also like to point out that the average age of a gamer is around ~27. People with disposable income.

Can't game without a disposable income,but I digress

That may be the case, but it doesn't mean that those people will watch others playing.

I play a bit on my xbox as well, but (IMO) there's nothing more boring than watching other people playing, even if they are bloody good at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back