AFL were employing 795 staff!

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not what I think at all, where did you get that from? I'm responding to the outrage that the AFL have increased their workforce over the last 20 years.

Have they done it justifiably though? Its a huge increase and your single supporting argument is that because profits have grown therefore so too must the AFL commission.

Its doesnt work like that with NFPs. The mission statement isnt "we must grow on a corporate level to better serve the game". The only thing they should be focused on is the game and supporting its continuance. Thats it. The onus isnt on them to grow jobs in Victoria. Its to ensure the perseverance of the game. Were those 636 people who were so readily stood down apart of that or were they simply nothing more than corporate bloat?

Have they done it justifiably though? Its a huge increase and your single supporting argument is that because profits have grown therefore so too must the AFL commission.

Its doesnt work like that with NFPs. The mission statement isnt "we must grow on a corporate level to better serve the game". The only thing they should be focused on is the game and supporting its continuance. Thats it. The onus isnt on them to grow jobs in Victoria. Its to ensure the perseverance of the game. Were those 636 people who were so readily stood down apart of that or were they simply nothing more than corporate bloat?
What's your supporting argument?

Huge amounts of people in many industries have been stood down during covid.

What's your supporting argument?

Huge amounts of people in many industries have been stood down during covid.

My supporting argument?

The AFL is the peak body responsible for managing and administering Australian rules football. Its mission is to actively support all levels of football from juniors to the elite level. Operating as a non-profit organisation, it distributes the great proportion of its operating surplus – after administration and game development costs – to its constituent clubs.

[/URL]

Nowhere does it state that "due to high profits we can create unnecessary jobs". These 795 roles are at the commission. 636 were deemed redundant at the very beginning of COVID. Not even work from home. Why? Cant be IT support, they outsource that. Cant be cleaning jobs, they outsource that. In a finite realm where the AFL operates theres only so many jobs to be made.

They stood down nearly 80% of their workforce and have them now on jobkeeper. How important were these 636 positions? What were they doing?
Don’t know who got stood down, but this is the breakdown from the Herald Sun article
C9F3027E-EB71-4C7B-8F5C-E6E04DC1B465.jpeg
338 people in development and state/grassroots football. That’s where the bulk of the AFL’s employees should be so I’m glad that’s the case. This is a very reasonable breakdown of employees for the AFL in my eyes. It’s not just the “commission”

There’ll be cuts this year and hopefully the majority of those come in Commercial or Growth/Digital and audiences since grassroots and the states having support should always be prioritised.

My supporting argument?

The AFL is the peak body responsible for managing and administering Australian rules football. Its mission is to actively support all levels of football from juniors to the elite level. Operating as a non-profit organisation, it distributes the great proportion of its operating surplus – after administration and game development costs – to its constituent clubs.

[/URL]

Nowhere does it state that "due to high profits we can create unnecessary jobs". These 795 roles are at the commission. 636 were deemed redundant at the very beginning of COVID. Not even work from home. Why? Cant be IT support, they outsource that. Cant be cleaning jobs, they outsource that. In a finite realm where the AFL operates theres only so many jobs to be made.
Do you have any evidence beyond covid that these jobs are unnecessary? All sport was shut down this year, that would indicate to me that a lot of these jobs were involved in, you know, the playing of football.

Don’t know who got stood down, but this is the breakdown from the Herald Sun article
View attachment 959887
338 people in development and state/grassroots football. That’s where the bulk of the AFL’s employees should be so I’m glad that’s the case. This is a very reasonable breakdown of employees for the AFL in my eyes. It’s not just the “commission”

There’ll be cuts this year and hopefully the majority of those come in Commercial or Growth/Digital and audiences since grassroots and the states having support should always be prioritised.

Thank you for that. Growth, digital, and audiences would I guess be their social media postings. Those are kinda important in todays landscape.

But it makes you wonder "ok, those are the ones stood down. How many are left in those departments? "

Bring in the auditors.

Do you have any evidence beyond covid that these jobs are unnecessary? All sport was shut down this year, that would indicate to me that a lot of these jobs were involved in, you know, the playing of football.

That would require an audit. Which i am more than happy to have called in. Your argument is "Well the profits ARE up. I guess it makes sense. Play on.".

That would require an audit. Which i am more than happy to have called in. Your argument is "Well the profits ARE up. I guess it makes sense. Play on.".
No it's not, again you're making assumptions. I don't believe I've mentioned profits even once. Are you saying the game hasn't grown over the past 20 years? Your supporting argument is the need for an audit, convenient...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL is one giant bloated bureaucracy. Plenty of people there on decent money are no doubt connected to the AFL’s boys network gravy train.
How many of 400 that flew up to the GC on the AFL’s expense account will be coming back to VICovid once the grand final is over? This is one giant rort and was the perfect get out of jail card. I’m sure heaps of Gil’s polo mates, private school alumni, business associates etc gave him a call for a ‘chat’...

No it's not, again you're making assumptions. I don't believe I've mentioned profits even once. Are you saying the game hasn't grown over the past 20 years? Your supporting argument is the need for an audit, convenient...

Youre just going for the strawman now. Just snippets from the first two pages.

Exactly, it's not a rule. As mentioned, most organisations who grow by that much would increase staff numbers by a large amount. That's still a massive increase in revenue, we've also had two more clubs join the league. I'm sure a lot of it was the professionalisation of previously volunteer roles.

Pretty comparable with most organisations over a 17 year period, I'd imagine revenue has increased by more than 8x.

Exactly, it's not a rule. As mentioned, most organisations who grow by that much would increase staff numbers by a large amount. That's still a massive increase in revenue,

Broadcast rights back in the early 000's cost $500 million, most recent one was $2.5 billion.

Youre just going for the strawman now. Just snippets from the first two pages.
Thank you for doing the work for me, profit not mentioned even once in all of those. Your whole argument is a need for an audit, mine is that the number of employees is quite reasonable due revenue and other factors. Continue to argue without really saying anything though.

In the context youve applied revenue it is interchangeable with profit. Have a read of your posts and try to understand the concepts you are using.

I can explain it to you, but I cant understand it for you.
No, again you're just applying your own biases, would you not agree that as revenue increases that the workforce needs to as well?

No, Im not and no it doesnt. And I have neither the patience or crayons to explain that particular concept for you.
Whatever mate, keep living in your alternate reality where your biases determine what others are saying. You've literally not said anything in any of your posts except the fact that there needs to be an audit. You must get outraged a lot.

Close to $1 million revenue per employee must be one of the better revenue/employee ratios around.

Im staggered by this post. Do you think the AFL is employing people in the EDFL? Do you understand that the lower leagues are in essence separate entities?

My whole point is around governance. You may well work for a NFP, but you dont know much at all when it comes to running one or what goes on behind the scenes.
Yes and no. They are seperate entities but positions like development officers are paid for by the AFL, not the league, they also answer to AFL vic.

A bigger disgrace is the money that’s siphoned off these “seperate entities” up to afl vic. A discussion for another thread

Whatever mate, keep living in your alternate reality where your biases determine what others are saying. You've literally not said anything in any of your posts except the fact that there needs to be an audit. You must get outraged a lot.

What biases are you even talking about? Substantial increase in revenue doesnt necessitate an increase in base spending. Dont ever try and run your own business. Im afraid basic commerce is beyond your grasp.

Which is beside the point because its a not for profit organisation. By Christ you are bloody dense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back