Strategy AFL will assess new rules for another season

Remove this Banner Ad

Bunch of clowns running this game don't listen to the players or coaches or fans nothing never seen a sport making rule changes year after year Mason Cox said 100% right.

Longer quarters, less rotations, longer season, back at the G, a massive advantage for our endurance / repeat sprint machines.

Manning the mark from behind is going to be interesting - standby for some soft frees against us and allowing oppo to get away with way worse. This will be one of those rule changes where Dickhead pulls out one of his made up stats half way through the season to justify the change. What a flog.

On balance, allowing for major injuries to key players at the pointy end of the season hard to see us going worse than this year.

Creating more space will create more Dusty GF "moments", says Hocking.
What am I missing here?
The whole thing about the Dusty "moments" was that Dusty repeatedly created goals under extreme pressure - i.e. no space.
WTF is Hocking talking about?

Dusty has found some time and space to create this moment especially for you Steve.

1605775375836.png

Here's what he should genuinely do if he wants the game to continue to flow:

Rule changes:

Ruck Nomination - Get rid of it. If professional footballers can't decide by themselves who is going up, then that's their bad luck, and if two go up, free kick, EASY!!!

Ruck (Overlay of first rule if they want to get technical)
- Whoever contests the ruck, can't engage the other ruckman until they have begun contesting the ball. So basically, it becomes like a centre bounce, you contact then go the ball, it's a free... you go the ball and make contact, play on... This whole wrestling sh!t in the ruck is half the reason the ball drops straight down for multiple ball ups.

Interchange - I'm relatively happy for yesterdays rule, I would even bring it to 60, meaning 15 per qtr, and each player may only come off 3 times per game...

That's it really for RULE changes, the rules themselves are ok. I can even live with 6-6-6 as it matters for about 5 mins for the whole match... HOWEVER what needs to change, is the interpretation of existing rules...

Interpretation changes:

Holding the Ball:
I believe being strict is the best answer. If you had it, had a chance to get rid of it, didn't dispose of it correctly, then GONE... None of this, "He Tried" rubbish. It's really black and white for me as per the following:

after taking possession did the player have a chance to get rid of it??
(No) = Ball Up
(Yes) - Did they then dispose of it correctly (NO) = Free Kick, (Yes) = Play on

And if HTB decisions rise from 10 per game to 30 per game, then so be it in my eyes, getting the ball moving after a free 20+ more times (when the ball moves the players obviously have to move also) is better than the 20+ stoppages we see now!!!

THATS IT... Those potential 3 things should get the ball and therefore the players moving a lot more than they do now.

And on the Umps, the above things they can do to speed the game up...

Ball Ups, with no nomination, theres 3 secs every ballup (where the clocks stopped) that won't be lost... and don't wait for ruckman who are 30m away, bad luck, just ball it up!

With HTB decisions, every decision should be adjudicated the same... And that comes tot he first part of my interpretation above. HTB should be a 2 part decision process... First part is when the player is tackled... Ump counts to 3 and blows whistle, then makes his two part decision... Now on one tackle they will blow the whistle after 2 seconds, the next they will parade like a primmadonna for 7-8 seconds for everyone to look at them before calling HTB. Why is one tackle different to the other...

Tackle occurs... Ump counts to 3 and blows whistle... then decides did he have opp to get rid of it (yes/no), if yes did they get rid of it correctly, theres your decision.

And don't waste time running in lining up blokes in a back pocket because they are 2-3 meters off their line, it doesn't matter in the back pocket, and if your are thinking they are abusing it, just call play on, that will stop them trying to take advantage of it!!!

I bolded the two points that are EXTREMELY relevant to congestion, yet are never talked about in AFL circles (and it does my ******* head in).

sHocking is worried about congestion, yet brings in the ruck nom rule. All of a sudden, the ump spend an extra 5+ seconds looking around, directing traffic, and calling for the ruck nomination. In those 5 seconds, players can easily cover 30-40m, and often in the background of contests prior to the ball up (or ball in), you see a lot of players streaming in to the contest.

I heard that his pets Geelong were intentionally nominating a couple of players to go up (anyone of Stanley, Ratugolea, Blicavs, Porkins), all of who are genuine ruckmen. While they decide, it allow more players to run to the contest, creating more congestion around the ball.

The answer as you say, is to just throw the thing up faster. If the ruckmen aren't there, or if there is only 1, tough s**t for the other team. If a 3rd man goes up, free kick against. And if players can't work out between themselves who is rucking, then that's their problem. As long as the competing ruckmen are in front of the umpire (i.e. a ruckman can't sprint in from 20m away and crash into a bloke), then it's all good. I also do like your idea of the ruckmen engaging each other and how this needs to be adjudicated.

Again, why has throwing the ball up faster never even been raised as a possible solution? The only time I've ever heard any AFL media talk about it, was when Nick Riewoldt brought it up on AFL360 back in the 2018 state-of-the-game arguments. And for whatever reason, he was quickly shot down and never given the chance to raise the issue again by Slobbo and Whateley. I don't believe there's a Geelong-central conspiracy going on, cause that's quite frankly ridiculous, but I can't fathom why throwing the ball up faster hasn't ever been an answer, instead of these bullshit little tinkering rules (that are proven to not increase scoring) and the push towards zones :mad:

There may not be a Geelong rules conspiracy, but there's definitely a strong attachment to clearances as they stand. Richmond was the odd one out of the top teams - the one that didn't give a tinker's cuss about clearances, although that changed in the prelim and grannie this year.

One only has to look at how Geelong set up for the bounce, with Dangerfield often facing away from goal so that he either had to handball or wheel round towards goal to see how critical clearance structures are to C Scott.

Throw ins or ball ups are, of course, more chaotic than centre bounces, but every second of delay there is crucial for around the ground clearance set pieces.

If the ball was simply put back into play quickly with no ruck nomination, I am quite certain that this would favour Richmond, as the chaotic structures that would eventuate should find them more adaptable and able to crank the pressure up by keeping the ball in play more often.

It is ironic that given all the rule changes that have supposedly 'helped" Richmond, the one that hasn't been introduced is the one that could make the biggest difference to both the game and the Tiges.

All these rule changes have me thinking that the wrong staff members from AFL House were let go due to COVID. Worst ******* rule changes ever. All it is going to do is make the players never actually man the actual mark and then the ump will make a mistake and get abused by all and sundry. I expect this rule to be forgotten or gone by the bye.

All these rule changes have me thinking that the wrong staff members from AFL House were let go due to COVID. Worst ******* rule changes ever. All it is going to do is make the players never actually man the actual mark and then the ump will make a mistake and get abused by all and sundry. I expect this rule to be forgotten or gone by the bye.
After it gifts Carlspoon 7+ goals Rd 1...they'll still lose by 30.

The man on the mark rule can't work without other supporting details. As others have already pointed out, stand 1 m behind the mark and run laterally where you want. They would have to have an exclusion zone.

And there are other situations where a literal interpretation will be dumb. Player gives away free kick for a late bump, free kick downfield. Offending player has to man the mark but cant come from behind to man the mark, how is he going to get there. How long has he got to get there. Would not be surprised if an ump gives 50 against us in R1 in this situation and marches oppo all the way to the goal square before they realise what a mistake they've made. The "make AFL great again" (as so aptly described by Niall) team at AFL house are idiots.

Bunch of clowns running this game don't listen to the players or coaches or fans nothing never seen a sport making rule changes year after year Mason Cox said 100% right.
don't mind changes so long as they're thought through and if they don't turn out the improve the game ditch them. some have been positive. 6.6.6 for instance.

don't mind changes so long as they're thought through and if they don't turn out the improve the game ditch them. some have been positive. 6.6.6 for instance.

The problem is puts the heat on umpires and they always cop it to unfairly because of theses changes yearly hate to be in there boots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hocking: "We just want more time and space back in the game, the fans are looking for a better balance between defence and attack, and the game has definitely swayed to towards defence. My role in that as custodian of it is to make sure the right things are introduced to open the game back up, and to have more Dustin Martin moments that he did in the Grand Final, where he was able to find space, and we would like to create more of those – that's my role and I'm committed to finding that space."

He really hasn't a clue. This is Dusty, just prior to kicking each of his goals. He had neither time nor space. Which was exactly what made them Dustin Martin moments. Can Hocking really be so obtuse?

1605852162965.png
1605852173219.png
1605852184753.png
1605852195155.png

Can some one tell me if the new rule for man on the mark mean that what Vlas is doing will be 50m next year? (44 Secs in)
Was just watching the 2017QF Highlights as you do, and saw it.

Can some one tell me if the new rule for man on the mark mean that what Vlas is doing will be 50m next year? (44 Secs in)
Was just watching the 2017QF Highlights as you do, and saw it.

good question. Not 100% sure. But I suspect vlas will get a 50 in that example because:

a. He plays for Richmond
b. There’s enough wriggle room to penalise the tiges any chance the AFL gets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back