AFL with Divisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello there i'm fumbler i have started a thread here to show you my ideas (not set in stone) that i started and aim to finish in the design thread.
Clubs that are shown are not necessarily clubs that the AFL would invite.

Link http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-two-divisions-fumbler-style.963145/

Presently in the real world we have:
National.
AFL
State.
VFL, SANFL, WAFL, NTFL, TSL, NEAFL East, North, AFL Sydney
Metro, Country.
All States

I would like to see:
National.
AFL Division 1
14 Clubs
Adelaide Crows, Brisbane Lions, Carlton Blues, Collingwood Magpies, Essendon Bombers, Fremantle Dockers, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast Suns, Hawthorn Hawks, Port Adelaide Power,
Richmond Tigers, Sydney Swans, Western Sydney Giants, West Coast Eagles.
AFL Under 18 Div1
As Above

AFL Division 2
16 Clubs
Cairns Cyclones, Canberra Griffins, Central Districts Bulldogs, Fitzroy Football Club, Footscray Bulldogs, Hobart Kangaroos, Joondalup Falcons, Melbourne Demons, North Adelaide Roosters, Northern Territory Thunder, Peel Inlet Crabs, St Kilda Saints, Sturt Double Blues, Sunshine Coast Waves, Swan Districts Swans, Tamar Thylacines.
AFL Under 18 Div 2*
State.
AFL Division 3
Premier League West (WAFL), Premier League Central (SANFL) , Premier League South (AFLS), Premier League North (AFLN), East Coast Premier League (AFLEC).

AFL Division 4
WAFL Div 2, SANFL Div 2, SOUTH (VFA Div 1) (TFL Div 1), NORTH (AFLQ Div 1) (AFLNT Div1), EAST (AFLNSW Div 1) (AFLACT Div 1).

Metro, Country.
AFL Division 5
WAFL Div 3. SANFL Div 3. VFA Div 2, TFL Div 2 South, TFL Div 2 North. AFLQ Div 2. AFLNT Div 2 AFLNSW Div 2. AFLACT Div 2.

AFL Division 6
All other Country and Suburban Leagues including King Island, Kangaroo Island, Tiwi Islands, Broken Hill etc.

Hello there i'm fumbler i have started a thread here to show you my ideas (not set in stone) that i started and aim to finish in the design thread.

Link http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-two-divisions-fumbler-style.963145/

Presently in the real world we have:
National.
AFL
State.
VFL, SANFL, WAFL, NTFL, TSL, NEAFL East, North, AFL Sydney
Metro, Country.
All States

I would like to see:
National.
AFL Division 1
Adelaide Crows, Brisbane Lions, Carlton Blues, Collingwood Magpies, Essendon Bombers, Fremantle Dockers, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast Suns, Hawthorn Hawks, Port Adelaide Power,
Richmond Tigers, Sydney Swans, Western Sydney Giants, West Coast Eagles.
AFL Under 18 Div1
As Above

AFL Division 2
Cairns Cyclones, Canberra Griffins, Central Districts Bulldogs, Fitzroy Football Club, Footscray Bulldogs, Hobart Kangaroos, Joondalup Falcons, Melbourne Demons, North Adelaide Roosters, Northern Territory Thunder, Peel Inlet Crabs,
AFL Under 18 Div 2*
State.
AFL Division 3
Premier League West (WAFL), Premier League Central (SANFL) , Premier League South (AFLS), Premier League North (AFLN), Eastern Premier League (AFLEC).

AFL Division 4
WAFL Div 2, SANFL Div 2, SOUTH (VFA Div 1) (TFL Div 1), NORTH (AFLQ Div 1) (AFLNT Div1), EAST (AFLNSW Div 1) (AFLACT Div 1).

Metro, Country.
AFL Division 5
WAFL Div 3. SANFL Div 3. VFA Div 2, TFL Div 2 South, TFL Div 2 North. AFLQ Div 2. AFLNT Div 2 AFLNSW Div 2. AFLACT Div 2.

AFL Division 6
All other Country and Suburban Leagues including King Island, Kangaroo Island, Tiwi Islands, Broken Hill etc.

How many get paid, just the top lot?

I can't see any need for your 2nd division. Don't underestimate the cost of travel and accommodation. Hard to see any such club being profitable I reckon. Playing mostly regional centres and suburban grounds. For the WA teams in your second division, taking West Perth and Peel out of the WAFL and into the second division makes no sense - they won't get any extra supporters out of it.

I can't see any need for your 2nd division. Don't underestimate the cost of travel and accommodation. Hard to see any such club being profitable I reckon. Playing mostly regional centres and suburban grounds. For the WA teams in your second division, taking West Perth and Peel out of the WAFL and into the second division makes no sense - they won't get any extra supporters out of it.

The main reason is the same as in Adelaide, using exsisting clubs away from the clubs already established in the AFL. Why would i promote East or South Fremantle at the expense of taking members and supporters away from the purple devils.
Ultimately this is my vision for a total combined Australian League that would encompass all of Oz, it doesn't matter to me who is in what division as this is purely an example of who i would choose for entry, you may choose to entertain bids from clubs of your choice.
Thanks for the feed back Admiral.

Be nice if my club didn't just seemingly disappear from all competitions.

I just don't think it would work in Australia. The culture here is one top flight, and really thats all the population allows. It's very different in a place like the UK where it's ingrained in their culture and they have the population to support it.

I just don't think it would work in Australia. The culture here is one top flight, and really thats all the population allows. It's very different in a place like the UK where it's ingrained in their culture and they have the population to support it.
Your club basically has in reality
Oh that one premiership

But seriously i kid.

I have only just completed this in the Graphics section if you followed the link to it and actually looked you would have noticed that all the originals are still there just a few have moved and one or two have made comebacks.

I believe this would make the football in Australia stronger as the bigger and stronger clubs could play against clubs of similar calibre, as at the moment in many Suburban leagues you have one or two clubs that are strong for seasons upon end.
If we don't start thinking outside of the box, this game and competition will never move professionally from these shores.

I have only just completed this in the Graphics section if you followed the link to it and actually looked you would have noticed that all the originals are still there just a few have moved and one or two have made comebacks.

I believe this would make the football in Australia stronger as the bigger and stronger clubs could play against clubs of similar calibre, as at the moment in many Suburban leagues you have one or two clubs that are strong for seasons upon end.
If we don't start thinking outside of the box, this game and competition will never move professionally from these shores.

This criteria, why?
American football is related NOT the world game.
Already we have too many teams sharing too little talent.

Yes, soon as an AFL was out of top division they'd go broke. No exposure, no sponsorship, top players would have in their contracts for sure they if their team got relegated they could be traded. They'd go under in no time.

Let's stop all the Chicken Little panicking here, the clubs would not go broke as the AFL is proping up GWS and Gold Coast plus a few others are recieving handouts, this money could be spent to eliviate that problem.

@ Jimthegreat .Players already have contracts for everything i could see no problem them having a out clause if thier club is relegated.

@ Kwality yes i agree we have too many teams in the AFL currently, my proposal is not more clubs but less clubs in the Top Flight and make other divisions this will not thin the talent out as we already have second, third and fourth tier clubs all over Australia. What i am going for is a Unified League that incorporates all current Leagues / Associations under the one AFL banner and gives Clubs a chance to make the Top Level of the AFL (under certain rules that the AFL would manage).
I don't understand the American Football referance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about this?
ausdiv2.jpg

A 32 round season, the extra games compensated by the fact that the travel times have been reduced greatly. By this point (maybe 2030) I imagine players will be getting enormous salaries and hopefully they aren't complaining and bitching as much as they are today.

The structure includes two new teams which I would think to be ACT and NT (either of these can be swapped with the inclusion of a TAS team)

The final 8 go into a finals system same as today, however the remaining 12 teams would still combat for the minor premiership, meaning whilst the top 8 are playing finals, the remaining teams are still getting games and the games actually matter.

EXAMPLE
Imagine the divisions above show how the teams finished after a 32 round season. The finalists would be; Eagles, Dockers, Lions, Swans, Magpies, Bulldogs, Demons and Bombers to go into the top 8 structure same as today, who plays who determined by points and percentage.

The remaining 12 teams then play their division counterpart. In this example whilst the finals are being played the Crows would play the Suns, Hawks and Cats, whilst the Power would play the Giants, Blues and Tigers because those are the teams which finished the same rank in each division.

After this the 12 teams are ranked in the ladder and the team at the top wins the minor premiership after all it is "minor".

Four Conference System as mooted by moi is still the best one doing the rounds...!

Why is Collingwood in a group away from the other two biggest drawing teams it plays, and why have you sent North Melbourne into exile...?

In any case, in the real world, the Players Association won't allow more than 22 rounds, and the AFL won't do a floating fixture for half the season...the fans would hate it too...

What exactly are the rewards for continuing to play when the top 8 are in the finals...? Seriously - draft picks? Is that it? You get to thrash your bodies in a lower table meaningless clash to improve your club's position in order to secure the best possible youngsters who are aiming to take your job, when you could instead be tearing up the town on an end of season trip with no such danger...?

Four Conference System as mooted by moi is still the best one doing the rounds...!

Why is Collingwood in a group away from the other two biggest drawing teams it plays, and why have you sent North Melbourne into exile...?

In any case, in the real world, the Players Association won't allow more than 22 rounds, and the AFL won't do a floating fixture for half the season...the fans would hate it too...

What exactly are the rewards for continuing to play when the top 8 are in the finals...? Seriously - draft picks? Is that it? You get to thrash your bodies in a lower table meaningless clash to improve your club's position in order to secure the best possible youngsters who are aiming to take your job, when you could instead be tearing up the town on an end of season trip with no such danger...?

You make valid points. I'm going to go home and rethink my life.

At least I've been alive for all of our premierships.
I was born in 1970...I can't remember 1971 and I wasn't around for 1961, but I can remember the remaining 8...:thumbsu:...plus 7 night flags, which I know you would add to your count if you had any...!

I kid cos I love...

Promotion and Relagation would be as follows:
National.
AFL Division 1
No promotion
RELIGATION: Bottom club relegated

AFL Under 18 Div1
Promotion and relagation would follow the senior club.

AFL Division 2
PROMOTION: Champion of AFL Div 2 promoted to AFL Div 1.
RELEGATION: Bottom club relegated back to their specific state entity.

AFL Under 18 Div 2*.
As per the senior club
State.
AFL Division 3
Premier League West, PLW, (West Australian Football League)
Premier League Central, PLC, (South Australian National Football League)
Premier League South, PLS, (Australian Football League South)
Premier League North, PLN, (Australian Football League North)
East Coast Premier League, ECPL, (Australian Football League Eeast Coast).

PROMOTION: A club from AFL Div 3 can be promoted to replace a club coming back into their premier league ie if Joondalup Falcons finish last in AFL Div 2 they will be relagated to the WAFL and the champion of the WAFL will take thier place. .
RELEGATION: One club from each Premier League finishing last goes back to the relavnt AFL Div 4 league, ie. if the club is Aspley Hornets they will go from the AFLN to the AFLQ Div1.

AFL Division 4
WAFL Div 2 , Promotion to PLW, Relegation to WAFL 3
SANFL Div 2 , Promotion to PLC, Relegation to SANFL 3
VFA Div 1 , Promotion to PLS, Relegation to VFA 2
TFL Div 1 , Promotion to PLS, Relegation to TFLS or TFLN
AFLQ Div 1 , Promotion to PLN, Relegation to AFLQ 2
AFLNT Div1 , Promotion to PLN, Relegation to AFLNT 2
AFLNSW Div 1 , Promotion to ECPL, Relegation to AFLNSW 2
AFLACT Div 1 , Promotion to ECPL, Relegation to AFLACT 2

PROMOTION: A champion club from AFL Div 4 can be promoted to their corresponding Premier League, ie. Noble Park from VFA Div 1 can be promoted to Premier League South if a VFA Div 1 club has been relegated back.
RELEGATION: Clubs from the AFL Div4 can be relegated back to thier corresponding AFL Div 5 leagues.

Metro, Country.
AFL Division 5
WAFL Div 3
SANFL Div 3
VFA Div 2
TFL Div 2 South
TFL Div 2 North
AFLQ Div 2
AFLNT Div 2
AFLNSW Div 2
AFLACT Div 2.

PROMOTION: AFL Div 5 clubs can be promoted to the relevant AFL Div 4 leagues,
RELEGATION: No relegation from AFL Div 5

AFL Division 6

All clubs from AFL Div 6 to the AFL Div 1 compete to qualify for the All Australian cup, the top four clubs in each division play off in a round robin event similar to the Foxtel Cup.
There are a few kinks that need to be worked out but all in all this system could easily work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back