Opinion AFL Women's - Can reapply from 2021

Discussion in 'Essendon' started by orco, Feb 3, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. daffo

daffo Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Haha. I don't think we'll get a side until 2020.

Gumby2Hurley likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. BrunoV

BrunoV Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:

It would be insane of the AFL not to get us in as soon as possible and the same goes for Richmond. It would create eight blockbuster fixtures a year that would produce crowds that dwarf anything in women's sport and which would generate interest that would rival most of a season for any other teams in any other codes.

Just look at what we've done off field this year - a $4,000,000 profit and second highest attendances for the year playing home games at Etihad. We're the waking giant of the AFL (as opposed to the hungover giant that could hardly get out of bed for the last 15 years).

It's not about claiming a right or being arrogant, it's the decision that makes sense. If the AFL is smart it takes advantage now and I'd back our VFL team to get higher attendances than everyone other than Fremantle, Adelaide, Carlton and Collingwood. Football is too tribal to assume that the crowds and interest in AFLW will not reflect the mens game.

3. Lore

Lore Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    The talk was four or five licenses granted and remaining teams could get licenses as well but delayed entry date sometime after 2019. Looks like Geelong and Tasmanian Kangaroos are in, West Coast, Richmond and St Kilda have provisional licenses from last time.

Hawthorn double up on the Tasmania angle and Essendon double up on the NT angle, which is apparently causing some headaches, although not for the NT or Tasmania who are finally getting some real representation in football. I think the AFL might prefer what we (or Hawthorn) have to offer over perhaps St Kilda or Richmond, but there will be discontent among those who miss out if they already had provisional licenses from last time. New league, supposed to be more equal and accepting and modern, but will it still be plagued by the old boys club? Time will tell.

And then there's Sydney and Gold Coast wanting teams as well, but one can't seem to manage its mens team and the other has no facilities and no immediate likelihood of getting some. Port didn't apply because China.

jmoo and Mercurial89 like this.
  4. scezza

scezza Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Crystal Palace FC, Tomato Atheism
    As arrogant as it sounds, the AFL can't afford to not grant us and probably Richmond licences. It would accelerate the growth of the league hugely and it would mean a bigger, more even competition will be achieved sooner. I think that's the sticking point. Surely the end goal of having the most successful women's sporting competition in Australia is more important than giving full licences to appease the clubs who already have these flimsy provisional licences?

EDIT: The AFL were stupid to give out provisional licences in the first place. But I guess the AFL make stupid mistakes like this pretty often so we should be used to it.

Runk, Dave, jmoo and 2 others like this.
  5. Lore

Lore Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    There's also a question of diluting the talent pool as well. I think that was another sticking point and not wanting to do too much too soon. But they also don't want an "us and them" between original clubs and ones that enter later, so they need to keep up the ambitious strategy they started on when they brought the league start forward... although that is apparently a good way to start a rivalry xD

As far as diluting talent is concerned, getting more players involved in a WA or Tas or Geelong club shouldn't dilute it much anyway, it's more about whether there is enough talent in Melbourne when there are ten clubs on each other's doorsteps just about. I think North are planning to be based in Melbourne and just play games on the apple isle? Not 100% sure how it works as far as recruiting Tasmanian players :/

6. Tassieboy

Tassieboy Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Hurricanes
    The Tasmanian Kangaroos thing is just pathetic.

bombersfan4000 likes this.
  7. Lore

Lore Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    It gives the women's team its own identity and helps north get a better hold on Tasmania. The only problem is that the number of supporters they gain in Tasmania may be lost in Melbourne-based supporters.

8. Beerfish

Beerfish Bless

Essendon
    Other teams:
    MotherMaryDarcy
    It's great that at least their women's team can see the writing on the wall. Well done to them.

9. scezza

scezza Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Crystal Palace FC, Tomato Atheism
    http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-30/aflw-delay-highlights-significance

Dave and jmoo like this.
  10. Runk

Runk Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Not important
    Genuine laugh out loud moment

11. Vindicater

Vindicater Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Will be great to see the Ladies kick some ass in the red and black, whenever it is!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. bombersfan4000

bombersfan4000 Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Anything North is usually pathetic.

The club can't even be financially independent let alone support a ladies team

13. jmoo

jmoo Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
  14. Mercurial89

Mercurial89 Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Think the age is reporting two teams at least will be announced for 2019, those being North and Richmond.

Saints, Cats and WC i believe were the other favorites.

Wouldn't be surprised if we are granted provisional to prepare for the 2020 season.

jmoo likes this.
  15. citizen-erased

citizen-erased Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    talk was richmond was going to be declined, which is staggering.
    Perhaps the GF berth has seen an about face and the AFL will look to tap into Tiger Mania. as they should.

Ill be surprised if we are knocked back over the Roos/Tasmanian team.
    Optics over stability is not what the AFLW needs right now. Trying to solve the Tas issue with an upstart league is naive and foolish.
    Essendon and Richmond have the fan bases that will support this the way its needed to make it viable.
    Add to that the city of geelong is parochial enough to get behind their side.

Add to that St Kilda barely have a home base and Arden St is a terrible venue to play a game that will draw anywhere near 10K supporters. Nowhere to park, its a thoroughfare to the city for the North, public transport is virtually non-existent (not that tullamarine is any better, but windy hill would be)

VIC: Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Geelong
    SA: Adelaide
    NSW: GWS
    QLD: Brisbane
    WA: Eagles, Dockers

Critical juncture right now. The launch product was good. They are prioritising rapid evolution over steady progress, so the decision needs to be a smart one in terms of expanding the league.
    How you can expect a North AFLW team to pull crowds of 40-50% of their AFL equivalent, where 20% of the Essendon/Richmond crowds would quite easily cover the minimum requirement is beyond me.

jmoo likes this.
  16. Loonerty

Loonerty Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Chelsea FC
    Welp. No AFLW team for us for a number of years.

Geelong and North in 2019, Gold Coast, West Coast, Richmond, St Kilda in 2020.

Lore likes this.
  17. eth-dog

eth-dog TheBrownDog

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
    Makes sense

18. Mercurial89

Mercurial89 Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Apparantly

2019- geelong North
    2020- GC, West coast, Richmond, Saints

No mention of us, but we may try for 2022 which i think is our 150th year?

19. DonsRule

DonsRule I can't recall

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I can't recall
    Well.

There you are.

20. LB#16

LB#16 Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Miami Heat
    Gold Coast and North, but no Essendon. Do they want people to watch these games? Going for the small fan base makes no sense.

21. eth-dog

eth-dog TheBrownDog

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
    Makes complete sense. Essendon is a club they can rely on getting later because they're a big club.

22. Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Depends on how you view it, if they are looking from an equalisation point of view in hoping to get new women fans who don't currently follow AFL then getting them to choose from a smaller team helps those clubs.

Maybe a stretch but the best I've got.

23. DonsRule

DonsRule I can't recall

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I can't recall
    North are probably a Tassie connection

But the Suns in 2020?

They are struggling at it is. Brisbane are in the AFLW already

24. jmoo

jmoo Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Well this is shit.

25. Lore

Lore Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Yeah, probably branded as the Tasmanian Kangaroos.

DonsRule and Beerfish like this.