Opinion AFL Women's - Can reapply from 2021

Discussion in 'Essendon' started by orco, Feb 3, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Runk

Runk Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Not important
    I don't know about that.....

It's disappointing but hardly devastating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    meh all i care about is Essendon winning it's 17th flag.

3. Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I reckon your sarcasm meter is broken.

SherbertLemon, scezza and Runk like this.
  4. Runk

Runk Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Not important
    I just checked. It's been unplugged. ******* kids.

Mr Mojo Risin likes this.
  5. D_P_S

D_P_S Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Big words from the club, they are fuming

6. Runk

Runk Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Not important
    They have every right to feel frustrated. It was exactly a wonderful opportunity lost on many levels.

D_P_S likes this.
  7. Lore

Lore Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    No kidding.

I like the last bit:

Bomber_Dan, Runk and D_P_S like this.
  8. Dons4days

Dons4days All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    New York Knicks, Dallas Cowboys
    Not that I care a whole lot but if they're trying to grow a code it makes no sense that irrelevant clubs like North & Gold Coast get teams while 2 of the biggest clubs in Hawthorn & Essendon get overlook.

Oh well, I guess it'll be another 3-4 years before I give a crap about the AFLW.

JT_the_Man and Bomber_Dan like this.
  9. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut Eat bling

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Fatebringer
    yeah... cos the talent pools for women are just as great as men...

10. JDavey

JDavey Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
    Greater Sydney's population is ~5m, the rest of NSW is only about ~2m. I'd hazard a guess that the AFL is targeting the 5 before targeting the 2. And I'd say for the exact reason you pointed out - country NSW is probably much harder to have a go at!

Totally get what you're saying. My best guess would be that the attendance/viewer numbers for year one far exceeded what they were hoping to achieve and they're not worried about the success of it (hence being fine with adding Saints/Roos over Bombers/Tigers)

ghostdog likes this.
  11. Mercurial89

Mercurial89 Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Its frustrating we dont have a team but that doesn't stop the club from doing some really good things for the communities and helping grow the game for women from the sidelines.
    That is something we can be really proud of that even when we dont have a licence the club is committed to helping.
    I hope the rest of the teams selected provide the best support available for women and girls that want to play our game, because in the end thats all that matters.

We will have a team eventually, until then ill follow the AFLW from afar and watch how their game and the Skill level evolves.

ghostdog likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Zach Package

Zach Package I foretold Jake Stringer

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Piggy Smith, SFG, Heat, Raiders
    Looking forward to everyone else signing the players that do well for us in the VFL for the 2019 season

Jack Richards and Lore like this.
  13. JDavey

JDavey Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
    So...? That doesn't impact anything... If the talent pools aren't as good - then the existing lists of clubs in the AFLW won't be batting deep either....

If they give new clubs the same concessions as expansion clubs in the AFL you're only a few seasons away from the top 8.

14. DonsRule

DonsRule I can't recall

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I can't recall

Lore likes this.
  15. Bombermania

Bombermania Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Non that play Essendon
    Considering the GCS are struggling to manage a men's side just how will they cope with a women's side.

Surely the AFL are just being blinked as usual overlooking the fact that Essendon is one of the few clubs that already has an active Women's supporter network which could have helped to run it.

Bomber_Dan likes this.
  16. Lore

Lore Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I wish they'd do a full run of those guernseys as merchandise. I've been wanting them to make a women's guernsey for ages, now they have a mockup what's stopping them? Also it'd be kind of hilarious if all these women and children are going to games wearing the AFLW guernseys for a team that doesn't yet exist (and men too if they're game and can find one that fits).

Bomber_Dan likes this.
  17. ghostdog

ghostdog Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Totally agree. That's leadership, and I wouldn't expect anything less from EFC.

18. ghostdog

ghostdog Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I reckon that's their approach too - It's a socio-cultural trickle-down approach. Hardly holistic or grass-roots, and country areas miss out again, much to our chagrin, while city-types deem us slow... I'll stop now.

19. Jack Richards

Jack Richards Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    To be honest I am feeling rubbish about the idea of helping these kids and developing women footballers only for them to be poached come draft time because the AFL dont want us to have a license. I would be telling Gil, either give us a license in 2021 or get stuffed.

20. Lore

Lore Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    The AFLW is like a rep team comp that runs for a few weeks in summer, so we'd be developing them for our VFLW team predominantly that runs throughout the year. If they end up elsewhere in the AFLW system, when we get a team and have entry concessions to poach a few good players and get ourselves going, we will already have public goodwill and pre-existing relationships with the players who grew up in our academies.

We should be doing what Geelong did - make it absolutely impossible for them to deny us next time round.

21. Jack Richards

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Nothing says GET STUFFED Essendon more than them taking our players and development we are putting into the VFLW community while telling us "We are working with you to help improve your chances of getting a license in the near future. We just cannot give you a time frame of when that will be."

Its like the boss acknowledging your extra unpaid hours you put in for that "promotion" which will never happen while some knob (gold coast) benefits by leeching off the AFL coffers.

22. Jack Richards

Essendon
    Other teams:
    And who pays for their insurance if they do an ACL or season ending injury? I certainly wouldn't be ok if we had to because they denied us the ability to have our own license and the fact that we are training them in an elite environment.

23. Lore

Lore Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    While they are training/playing for the AFLW team? They will be covered by whatever insurance is part of the AFLW club's situation. It would all be worked out, same as the current arrangement for Port Melbourne or Melbourne Uni VFLW players currently contracted to a different club at AFLW level. Possibly they pay for their own health insurance, could also be club insurance. I'm sure there is something in place though, we won't be footing the bill if they do an ACL while playing for Brisbane or Carlton or something.

Zach Package likes this.
  24. BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Paul Little to fly in his jet to Gills house mafioso style and demand why Essendon were denied.

25. Zach Package

Zach Package I foretold Jake Stringer

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Piggy Smith, SFG, Heat, Raiders
    Look, We're not on our own here, it seems as though us and the Hawks are going to be principally responsible for funnelling players to higher honours because there are clubs that don't have the infrastructure that we're both in the progress of setting up.

As much as it disappoints me because we've clearly put in a lot of work I don't think there's anything wrong with sitting on our hands for now, the league is still foetal, Gil is still principally in charge (which is bad for a myriad of reason) and if I'm being brutally honest, the standard of footy will get worse before it gets better.

Lore likes this.