Opinion AFL Women's - Can reapply from 2021

Discussion in 'Essendon' started by orco, Feb 3, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Jack Richards

Jack Richards Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Hope so. Would be telling the players you're free to sign, but any season ending injury we wont pay that year of salary.

Lore likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Lore

Lore Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    White text tho

3. SherbertLemon

SherbertLemon Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    The sky is falling.

The sky is falling.

4. Doss

Doss Super Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Fitzroy Football Club
    Disappointing, but not much we can do. Hawthorne could be similarly annoyed I guess.

Oh well, bring on 2021.

5. kelvin_sheedy

kelvin_sheedy Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Missed the boat again but hardly surprising.

6. BrunoV

BrunoV Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I think that people are forgetting that this league was hastily cobbled together because AFL had fallen so far behind the likes of the women's BBL.

Yes, there is a need to have a league with a strong national presence but that still means having teams in states that don't care about Australian Football. It's still means a league propped up by the big clubs.

How far can the AFL extend itself without any profitability? What will sponsors really look at and really pay for? It's not just the feel good story (and I'm not dismissing the story because I love it) it's the story and the commercial reality. The presence of the big club's is a huge kick start for a league that would run over the top of all competition.

It's one thing attracting talent but that's never been the issue for women's sport. It's basically all elite no matter what the code. What sets AFL apart from other sports is the rabid support of it's fans. It's that support that makes AFLW more than juylst an exercise in equality it give it the chance to be truly professional.

It's the wrong decision and it will cost the AFL even more than it otherwise had to spend in a climate where it's main revenue source must start to become uncertain where commercial networks run huge losses to pay TV rights to prop up viewer numbers to support their failing networks.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  7. ant555

ant555 The Oracle

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Vermont FC
    Personally I think they have gone down the wrong path too quickly despite being a bit of a fan.
    Before a National comp they should have beefed up the state leagues (VFL,SANFL,WAFL) and run that for a few years while developing the juniors. The Feb/Mar period could have been used as a National State of Origin Carnival while the regular season could have seen the VFWL played along side the VFL. The same with the other states.
    Currently the VFWL is pretty much a Metro footy comp. The set up would have been a lot better if they had the Melbourne based AFL sides as the top level VFL comp and then the current comp as the enxt level down.

Eventually the comp will have to move to run through the same time period as the AFL.anyway so what Bruno has said rings true.

TheGreatBarryB and Lore like this.
  8. TheGreatBarryB

TheGreatBarryB Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Texans, Astros, Leeds
    It's going to be way too diluted talent wise. 14 clubs should ideal number for men let alone women.

9. Bunk Moreland

Bunk Moreland Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Personally I don't really care tbh.

10. HirdsTheWord

HirdsTheWord ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Essendon
    Other teams:
    probably wouldnt watch it even if their was an essendon team.

Talent pool needs a good 5 years before its not completely boring. Adding in another 3 teams will only make it that much more spread out and crap to watch.

good on the girls for giving it a crack though. hopwfully it develops into something not totally bad to watch

11. Vindicater

Vindicater Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Disapointed.

But at least for now I can continue to watch the champions live and say I barracked for them from the beginning. (Adelaide)

(Log in to remove this ad.)