AFL women's game the number one ranked game for TV viewership in Melbourne this year

Remove this Banner Ad

That may be so Adz. But it was precisely because there was no other footy was on that the match was showcased and got such good exposure - and so many online seemed genuinely surprised at how good the match was to watch and the smaller ball/16-a-side made for a good free-flowing game to watch - wasn't at all 'cramped' and yes with a few turnovers (but they aren't Robinson Crusoe there! Just ask the Crows mens team last Friday week!:$). I'd certainly watch it in preference to some of the appalling Friday night games from last season (and no I'm not going to name them - you know what i'm talking about. Just shockers.)

That may be so Adz. But it was precisely because there was no other footy was on that the match was showcased and got such good exposure - and so many online seemed genuinely surprised at how good the match was to watch and the smaller ball/16-a-side made for a good free-flowing game to watch - wasn't at all 'cramped' and yes with a few turnovers (but they aren't Robinson Crusoe there! Just ask the Crows mens team last Friday week!:$). I'd certainly watch it in preference to some of the appalling Friday night games from last season (and no I'm not going to name them - you know what i'm talking about. Just shockers.)

It wasn't free flowing and it did feel like it was cramped as despite fewer players on the ground.

I just put that down to the players not having the explosiveness to break away from packs nor through lines. Kick penetration wasn't very good either which didn't help.

Because we were so deprived of football given there were 0 other matches on. Let's see how it rates when 6 games are on tv.

When are there 6 games on free-to-air TV on Saturday night?

Seems to me that every Saturday there is only one. The game on Foxtel doesn't exactly rack up the ratings.

Or are you suggesting that because there was no other footy during the day on Saturday it made people more likely to watch footy that night? Cause if that is what you were saying, I would suggest that is a pretty long bow.

By the way, to be clear, I'm not predicting blockbuster ratings next year.

I'm sure that there will be a novelty factor to the women's league, which will wear out over time. Furthermore we shouldn't underestimate how much difference diluting the talent pool by 6 teams will make to the standard of play.

But I would say that this is a reasonable piece of evidence that there is interest enough out there to justify a women's league. And maybe after 15 years of salary growth/professionalism/talent development/consolidation on the footy landscape, it could be huge.

I personally am very optimistic.

Last nights game was the most viewed for the year in Melbourne. Fantastic result, no support/demand for a womens league my ass.

it was the most viewed in Melbourne for the year on a saturday on FTA - several matches on Thu/Fri Nights passed the 400k mark in Melbourne alone. 387k is a good result for Melbourne though. Brisbane and Sydney were about the same rating as GWS/Gold Coast ratings, and Perth was well down for an AFL match broadcast.

Seems to me that every Saturday there is only one. The game on Foxtel doesn't exactly rack up the ratings.

Or are you suggesting that because there was no other footy during the day on Saturday it made people more likely to watch footy that night? Cause if that is what you were saying, I would suggest that is a pretty long bow.

Most weeks the saturday night game is not nationally broadcast and is missing from one or more FTA markets as they show local content.

No it wasn't. Viewers of the same game are normally split between Seven and Fox Footy as all Seven games are simulcast on Fox. Last night's game was on Seven only so it's not an even comparison.
Don't try and poke holes in their agenda

No it wasn't. Viewers of the same game are normally split between Seven and Fox Footy as all Seven games are simulcast on Fox. Last night's game was on Seven only so it's not an even comparison.

That's a fair point. But i stand by what I wrote earlier - no need to get overly excited about those numbers. But they were at least evidence that there is interest out there for a comp. And that is a good thing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many insecure men on here and social media.

Some of the comments on FB are simply disgusting and most other arguments against women's footy are just more polite versions of the same sentiments.

It wasn't free flowing and it did feel like it was cramped as despite fewer players on the ground.

I just put that down to the players not having the explosiveness to break away from packs nor through lines. Kick penetration wasn't very good either which didn't help.

I found the first half pretty good to watch and quite open, second half got a bit messy probably because of fitness with turnovers and really poor skill errors.

The girls have less fear in some cases than the blokes and the umps let it go a bit, i found it pretty entertaining.

It is entertaining because you are watching people have a real dip, i watched a year 10 boys prelim final today that could have rated well in Melbourne it was full of errors at times but it was fair dinkum footy, people love it, year after year when your football diet is just AFL football, people probably forget how footy used to be played.

So many insecure men on here and social media..

sure there are. Theres a lot of people coming at it from a realistic point of view as well. the promotion of womens sport is to be applauded, but the methods being used to create a national league arent necessarily the best to everyones mind. That doesnt make them "insecure" men.

sure there are. Theres a lot of people coming at it from a realistic point of view as well. the promotion of womens sport is to be applauded, but the methods being used to create a national league arent necessarily the best to everyones mind. That doesnt make them "insecure" men.

The men you describe are heavily outnumbered .

They're nothing compared to the s**t I've seen written about the game last night.

I'm enjoying watching these pigs tie themselves in knots as they try to find new ways to discredit the match.

Draws out the worst kind of trolls.

All Ive said here is that you cant draw any conclusions from what we've seen so far. One off games, All star matches and curtain raisers are not an accurate indication of where things are at. There are some legitimate concerns on the financial side of things - not least after it was reported that 10 clubs will make losses this year.

There was no AFL games the whole weekend so I think it's entirely possible some people got their fix of footy from watching the women's game on Saturday night. I usually watch the Geelong game plus one other. If I have watched a game on a Saturday afternoon I am less likely to watch the night game. This weekend I chose to go along to a VFL game when I wouldn't normally bother and judging by the crowd quite a few people did the same.

Nonetheless it was still a high viewing figure. It remains to be seen whether that translates to viable TV audiences for the league when it starts. People could have tuned in out of curiosity like when Top Gear changed it's line up. And as has been pointed out, this was an all star game. The standard will drop considerably when these players are spread out over 8 then later 13 clubs.

This figure is in no way indicative of the interest they'll draw during their season. The XFL got better ratings in its first game than most NBA finals throughout the 2000's got. The true test of interest will be for when the middle of the rung teams play each other. You don't get to play those games on a standalone weekend promoted as some All Star game to try and drum up interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back