Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Will depend on any further cases popping up. States have shown they're happy to shut the border at a moment's notice (which bodes poorly for fixturing the week after this given the recent Vic cases) so one week at a time might be the best they can do at the moment, unless they get most/all teams to a hub(s).

Adelaide Crows AFLW side having to train at home by themselves this week with Adelaide's lockdown, while all other clubs can train as normal

However at the start of the year West Coast & Fremantle men's side were not allowed to train despite the state allowing it because the Vic clubs couldn't train

Gotta love consistency, eh?

What a fking joke
Meh.

I flicked the channel to the tennis last night and saw a guy with $10m in career prizemoney underarm serving into the net and sooking about the crowd cheering too much.

Anybody who thinks the AO is a better product than AFLW is a soft sack of s**t imo.

I flicked the channel to the game last night, last quarter, perfect conditions, 1 goal each.

How anyone can watch this garbage has me beat.
Cool.

Go to Facebook and vent there 👍🏽

I flicked the channel to the game last night, last quarter, perfect conditions, 1 goal each.

How anyone can watch this garbage has me beat.
Champ, there were two points total kicked in the first quarter of the Freo v Adelaide game on the weekend and I defy you you to have found a more enthralling contest in any other game in any other sport played over the weekend.

If you had a brain, you'd realise women's tennis is a slightly different product and with a heap to recommend it over the men's version. More rallies for a start. Purer stroke and positional play.

And it's the same deal with the footy.

This isn't basketball, mate. It's not just score, score, score, score, score, who is ahead when the buzzer goes.

Turbo Bowers laid ten tackles in the first half of the Freo v Adelaide game. 10 in a half and these are shortened quarters (incidentally, the scores were low in the men's footy when there were shortened quarters). There are fewer players on the paddock. There are different considerations.

You're comparing apples to oranges and moaning about the lack of pith. You're taking the pith, mate.

It will always lose out to the start of the men's season. But even then is still getting more exposure than any other women's sport.

So just suck it up and go for it.
The most exposure AFLW got on the weekend was when Ash Barty mentioned it in an interview after her match, which rated 1.076 million on Nine. Regardless, is the point of the league to maximise the potential of women's footy... or just to clear the low bar set by soccer, netball, cricket, etc.?

28,000 viewers on Fox on Saturday night for Melbourne-North. Haven't seen the FTA numbers but, with it only airing in two cities, it rated less than 86,000 on 7mate. That's what stiff competition will do, and a season stretching into winter is just going to result in more of these high quality matches confined to darker shadows. This is only irrelevant if the vast majority of players aren't interested in turning the league into a relatively self-sustaining professional set-up (they are, though).

The AFL can't control the number of games TV broadcasters want to air. Not to any greater degree than being able to control what games 7 does and doesn't put on its main channel. It's juvenile to depict such negotiations as an issue which can simply be solved through willpower Gillpower. "Just suck it up" sounds like the bluster I hear from that horse slaughterer bloke who's now doing many great things for the other football code.

The most exposure AFLW got on the weekend was when Ash Barty mentioned it in an interview after her match, which rated 1.076 million on Nine. Regardless, is the point of the league to maximise the potential of women's footy... or just to clear the low bar set by soccer, netball, cricket, etc.?

28,000 viewers on Fox on Saturday night for Melbourne-North. Haven't seen the FTA numbers but, with it only airing in two cities, it rated less than 86,000 on 7mate. That's what stiff competition will do, and a season stretching into winter is just going to result in more of these high quality matches confined to darker shadows. This is only irrelevant if the vast majority of players aren't interested in turning the league into a relatively self-sustaining professional set-up (they are, though).

The AFL can't control the number of games TV broadcasters want to air. Not to any greater degree than being able to control what games 7 does and doesn't put on its main channel. It's juvenile to depict such negotiations as an issue which can simply be solved through willpower Gillpower. "Just suck it up" sounds like the bluster I hear from that horse slaughterer bloke who's now doing many great things for the other football code.
I’d say that women’s cricket has set a pretty decent bar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFLW has to do what's best for the AFLW competition, and let crowds build of that.

If it starts making decisions based on how many will watch, then that's a slippery slope to irrelevance imop.

Marketing comes of the back of a good product you believe in.

It shouldn't be the driver.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

The AFLW has to do what's best for the AFLW competition, and let crowds build of that.
Maximising viewership is central to the AFL's vision for the league, they believe it is what's best for the competition. If you don't know that then you haven't listened to any of Gillon McLachlan's Season Launch speeches. Last year, for example, he must have said "I'm proud that every match will be televised" at least three times (clearly a shot at the pitiful mostly livestreamed WBBL coverage, among other easy targets).
If it starts making decisions based on how many will watch, then that's a slippery slope to irrelevance imop.
Those decisions have been made since the league's inception (Carlton and Collingwood getting inaugural licences, for example). It's worked out fairly well so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back