Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What percentage of the AFLW playing list needs to be moved on every year?
Is it 10% like the men’s?
Yes, it was 3 last year for the first time. Had been about 8 in previous seasons. The rule for rookie signings has also changed a little since the initial few years, but the gist is no club will have more than 27 players on their list at the conclusion of the 2021 sign-and-trade period... if the rules don't change again.

I don’t agree with the argument the talent pool is too small for the comp, I think that’s short sighted and not accurate.
I think there’ll be a bottleneck of talent at the end of this year and moving forward.
We’re already seeing how big an influence and impact new players are having.
We don’t get that in the men’s game, it takes years for guys to build up the body to compete and with international travel up in the air, with O/S scholarships and such unlikely plus the next Olympics at least 4 years away I think talented 14/15 yr old athletes are more likely to seriously look at Aussie Rules simply as an elite program to be in for top shelf resources.

Good read

Might not seem aflw related at first but when you put into context with your article its pretty interesting.
The AFL have altered the boys pathway
to spread funds and manage and aupport the girls pathway.
Alotve disappointed people who have got the sh.ts up with the AFL saying they’ve completely underestimated the growth of girls participation and providing the structure to cope.

There where 500 girls to try out at this years draft combine from the NAB league

Last edited:
Might not seem aflw related at first but when you put into context with your article its pretty interesting.
The AFL have altered the boys pathway
to spread funds and manage and aupport the girls pathway.
Alotve disappointed people who have got the sh.ts up with the AFL saying they’ve completely underestimated the growth of girls participation and providing the structure to cope.

There where 500 girls to try out at this years draft combine from the NAB league
It wasn’t a draft combine. It was NAB League testing day. Which is every player on every team that is fit and healthy.

Happens every year with the boys and the girls.

The draft combine is invite only at the end of the season, before the draft.

It wasn’t a draft combine. It was NAB League testing day. Which is every player on every team that is fit and healthy.

Happens every year with the boys and the girls.

The draft combine is invite only at the end of the season, before the draft.
I see what I did now

GROWING THE FEMALE GAME

Almost 500 girls from the NAB League completed AFLW draft testing for the first time in front of club recruiters on January 31 at La Trobe University in

I don’t agree with the argument the talent pool is too small for the comp, I think that’s short sighted and not accurate.
I think there’ll be a bottleneck of talent at the end of this year and moving forward.
We’re already seeing how big an influence and impact new players are having.
We don’t get that in the men’s game, it takes years for guys to build up the body to compete and with international travel up in the air, with O/S scholarships and such unlikely plus the next Olympics at least 4 years away I think talented 14/15 yr old athletes are more likely to seriously look at Aussie Rules simply as an elite program to be in for top shelf resources.
Agree there will be a bottleneck but that's due to players coming through having played the game from a younger age than the elder players playing aflw presently.

Those 25+ playing aflw now (in general) wont be anywhere near as good as those coming through as 18yr Olds in the next few years. Nothing to do with size and strength when comparing to men in AFL. They (new aflw recruits) get games on ability alone even before strength and size comes into consideration.

Players who I knew that were playing AFLW and were local football divvy 10 ability have already been replaced by younger players who are much better footballers and are no longer on aflw lists.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Agree there will be a bottleneck but that's due to players coming through having played the game from a younger age than the elder players playing aflw presently.

Those 25+ playing aflw now (in general) wont be anywhere near as good as those coming through as 18yr Olds in the next few years. Nothing to do with size and strength when comparing to men in AFL. They (new aflw recruits) get games on ability alone even before strength and size comes into consideration.

Players who I knew that were playing AFLW and were local football divvy 10 ability have already been replaced by younger players who are much better footballers and are no longer on aflw lists.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
Both comp’s are age biased because they have to turn over their list but it’s the jump in the boys pathway between the top level and what used to be the TAC.
The boys just play and play as many games as they can to get identified and don’t have time to train.
It’s rare they don’t need another 15-20 months development in their body to play out a game and the season.
That doesn’t seem to exist in the girls pathway.
Whether it’s the shorter quarters or the fact the girls don’t need to put on 10 kilo of muscle to compete clubs seem to get more value from new younger players in the women’s game compared to the men’s.
And of course with an unbroken run from junior’s to seniors their further down the road of the 10,000 hrs of practice you need to be very good at anything.

Really???? Yet another away game!!! c'mon and also back to back trips to perth? the girls will be buggered by the time they even play their next game at home..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. Collingwood and Cats men's teams were suggested to be playing a practice match in Geelong on Friday. Could be a double header on the cards?
I forgot about that - if they look at the double header will they allow fans in for both?

Really???? Yet another away game!!! c'mon and also back to back trips to perth? the girls will be buggered by the time they even play their next game at home..
The frustration of border closures/restrictions which not really helping out scheduling options

Hopefully things start to open up more soon, and no doubt it'll mean Vic teams hitting the road and you guys likely to get a run of home games

The frustration of border closures/restrictions which not really helping out scheduling options

Hopefully things start to open up more soon, and no doubt it'll mean Vic teams hitting the road and you guys likely to get a run of home games
what this will also mean is Victorian based fans like myself won't get a chance to watch our girls play in Victoria now...

Yeah they didn’t look at the ladder to come up with that one. lol.
4 of those games were basically unavoidable, which is something I pointed out the other day in the R4 thread.

Apart from Richmond getting Geelong instead of the Bulldogs, there's nothing shifty about what they've come up with.

I forgot about that - if they look at the double header will they allow fans in for both?
I'm not even going to try and guess. But I can't see why it would be an insurmountable challenge to have a COVID-Safe plan in place that allows for crowds into watch a double header.

Although maybe they'll move the practice game to Thursday.

Makes you wonder why the Freo vs GC game was played in Freo. Neither side is Victorian, but after five rounds both teams will have a heap of Victorian clubs to play but Freo would have played four out of five at home and GC just one. If Freo would have travelled to GC this weekend then that would have been fairer.

I’m worried we’re going to have to hub in Victoria for four weeks - which might see multiple players have to drop out with work commitments.

Makes you wonder why the Freo vs GC game was played in Freo. Neither side is Victorian, but after five rounds both teams will have a heap of Victorian clubs to play but Freo would have played four out of five at home and GC just one. If Freo would have travelled to GC this weekend then that would have been fairer.

I’m worried we’re going to have to hub in Victoria for four weeks - which might see multiple players have to drop out with work commitments.

I think only Evie Gooch was unable to rearrange work commitments when we thought we weren’t coming back from SA. 3 out of the last 4 games being played away would be fair for Freo. Of course it would also be fair if Victorians travel, should the CoVid conditions allow it.

it's really odd, especially since all of the girls had been told and prepared to go to qld and play them there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back