Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if they kept the league at eight teams, let the roots grow deep and the soil become fertile before slowly adding two teams at a time.

Womens footy is in a world of pain, the AFL botched it imo
I’m more invested in AFLW because Richmond has a team then I would have been had we not had a team but the quality was better

I think that would apply to most supporters

I can't swim as fast as Ledecky but I can kick a football further than 99% of the AFLW players.
Weren't you running around on bigfooty a couple of years prior to the AFLW starting, telling everyone it would fold within three years?

Was that you? I'm sure that was you.

Good times.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

And yet the standard has improved every season the comp has run.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, as I havn't really watched any expansion teams as it isn't great footy to watch

However, could this be a misconception as you've watched a foundation club which could only have improved year on year?

Like, do we see better from 2022 West Coast compared to 2017 GWS?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, as I havn't really watched any expansion teams as it isn't great footy to watch

However, could this be a misconception as you've watched a foundation club which could only have improved year on year?

Like, do we see better from 2022 West Coast compared to 2017 GWS?

I'm fairly confident that the 2022 West Coast side would have won the flag in 2017.

I have a small YouTube channel where I upload my videos from the AFLW games I attend. Lots of short highlight videos as well as longer game-day videos. You're welcome to take a look if you have time. The YT channel is called "AFL Womens Videos". Thankyou.

AFL Womens Videos

If they go slow on expanding the number of games played, I wonder if the "No" block of votes from last time will attempt to block again.

IIRC, one of their issues last time was the amount of games played.

Na, anytime i happened to watch it, andy maher on SEN and any thread on here.....people get very defensive on here when the truth is told about the skill level, especially early days 🤣

I can't speak for Andy Maher but the people here have been pretty consistent in saying that the skill level was rank in season one. Hell, I've written multiple times about how the Crows won the premiership in 2017 by being the only team to not even bother trying to hit targets or chain handballs together, and just mobbing the ball forward instead.

The skill level nowadays is massively better, for all that it still has a way to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it's now been 48 hours since we were told there would be an announcement on the starting date of next season "within 24 to 36 hours"...
You’re not surprised by this I hope?

Latest I saw was that it may end up as a one year agreement to get things happening for season 7, and work out the rest later… will see if I can find it

You’re not surprised by this I hope?

Latest I saw was that it may end up as a one year agreement to get things happening for season 7, and work out the rest later… will see if I can find it

I'm not surprised that it hasn't happened yet, but I mean, why say "this will happen within two days" for something that isn't going to happen within two days? That's just begging to get called out. I know we all have short term memories but they're not that short.

Under the terms of the deal – which the AFLW players will vote on and are expected to endorse at 1pm on Thursday – the AFL’s women players will receive a minimum of about $39,000 and a top tier (tier 1) of $71,000 in a 10-game home-and-away season.

Last edited:
In domestic cricket, the minimum retainer is $33,347 for WNCL players and $13,234 for WBBL players. This of course doesn't include match fees and other potential things on top of that, given we're talking about the base salary.

I suppose part of the discussion needs to be what amount of work they are doing. If they are essentially doing full-time hours and getting paid $30,000 then that obviously wouldn't be good enough (just a made-up example). Based on everything that has been said, it sounds like most girls do 20-30 hours each week. That's my positive from this mess, that while the AFL isn't willing to increase the length of the season they are at least now going to pay girls properly for the hours they put in with the minimum at $39,000.

A-league Women and Matildas
The W-League floor, which is the lowest amount a club can pay to its squad, will rise by 32 per cent over the next five years. The W-League minimum annual wage is $17,055,

Last season’s floor of $294,000 will grow to $315,000 next season, with the final figure to settle at $390,000 by the end of the five-year deal.

The W-League cap will be $450,000 next season, with the ceiling to be reviewed annually.

The Matildas contracts are divided into three tiers, with 11 players in the top tier. The top tier players received a base salary of $83,771 in 2019/20, which correlates with the maximum amount a Socceroos player is allowed to get each season. A second tier player received $56,000 in the last pay cycle, while a third tier player received $40,000 at least.

AFLW
Under the terms of the deal the AFL’s women players will receive a minimum of about $39,000 and a top tier (tier 1) of $71,000 in a 10-game home-and-away season.

The second and third, or middle-tier players, will be paid $47,000 and $55,000 respectively.

NRLW
Players will receive a 28% pay rise for the 2022 competition, which will be played later this year, with a salary cap of $350,000 to be implemented. That will include an increase on the minimum wage from $8,000 to $10,000, with all figures expected to rise again in 2023 once a collective bargaining agreement is complete.

The game’s elite female players are likely to earn about $60,000, while those on marquee deals will be paid more.

Representative payments will increase immediately, with Origin match wages to increase from $4000 to $6000, while All Stars payments will increase from $1,600 to $3000.

With a salary cap of $350,000, plus two marquee players who can be offered fulltime jobs outside the cap, contracts for leading players in the 2022 NRLW are expected to be worth about $35,000, plus representative payments.

SuperNetball
NA said the minimum salary for all Super Netball players would increase by 17 per cent from $36,677 to $43,000.

The deal also provides funding for training partners which will see their fee increase from $3,500 to $5,000 per year.

The maximum salary will increase from $75,167 to $91,500.

SuperW
  • minimum: $0
Wallaroos Players will get around $200 a day, or $1400 a week, while in camp.

Theres no overarching deal for SuperW. Only 2 Super Rugby clubs have announced payments for their SuperW players.

The Rebels’ amounts are $1000 per game (there are five rounds and up to two finals) for any member of the match day 23, or a maximum of $500 in reimbursed expenses for those who don’t make it onto the pitch/bench.

The Force have announced players will receive a $5,000 bonus if they’re selected for the Wallaroos squad, $1,500 for the seven weeks of the Super season, a $300-win bonus and $100 for a loss.

WNBL
new total player payment system will see a salary cap ceiling of $420,000 (excluding superannuation) for the 2021-22 season, where the floor is no less than $336,000 (excluding superannuation).

As per the CBA, the minimum player payment is $13,500 for the 2021-22 season and $15,000 for the 2022-23 season, where no less than ten rostered players are to be contracted, which can include up to one amateur and two restricted players.

WNCL/WBBL etc
the average base salary for a woman who holds a contract in both the domestic Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) Twenty20 tournament and 50-over Women’s National Cricket League (WNCL) will rise to more than AUS$65,000 (US$47,700) this season. It represents an increase of more than AUS$10,000 (US$7,300) on last summer.

The average retainer for a state-contracted women’s player has also increased by more than 22 per cent to AUS$40,829 (US$30,006), while the average for a WBBL player is now $24,179 (US$17,769), up more than 14 per cent.

The domestic contracts are in addition to the select group who are centrally contracted by CA each season. Currently, these women’s players earn an average of AUS$180,000 (US$132,200) a year, making them the best-paid national women’s team in the country.

Key dates for AFLW season 7

• AFLW Expansion Signing Period 24 May 2022
  • Sign and Trade Period 31 May 2022
  • NAB AFLW Draft 29 June 2022
  • Pre-season commences 13 June 2022
  • Season Commences, 25-27 August 2022*
  • Finals commences, 4-6 November 2022*
  • NAB AFLW Grand Final, Weekend of 25-27 November 2022*
AFLW Season 7 Fixture
Round 1: 25-28 August
Round 2: 2-4 September
Round 3: 9-11 September
Round 4: 16-18 September
Round 5: 23-25 September
Round 6: 30 Sep-2 October
Round 7: 7-9 October
Round 8: 14-16 October
Round 9: 21-23 October
Round 10: 28-30 October
Finals W1- Elimination/Qualifying Finals: 4-6 November
Finals W2- Semi Finals: 11-13 November
Finals W3- Preliminary Finals: 18-20 November
Finals W4- NAB AFLW Grand Final- 25-27 November

www.womens.afl

CBA LOCKED IN: Big pay increase, August start date confirmed

The details for the next season of AFLW have been confirmed
www.womens.afl

2023 better be much longer

10 games is too ****ing short, but ill accept it this year due to short offseason

2023 better be a MINIMUM 14, preferably, straight to 17

Just two players per club occupy each of tier one and tier two, with expansion clubs capitalising heavily on that imbalance when attracting tier three talent from other teams.

That's interesting (assuming it's accurate), considering there were six players in Tier 2 for the last deal.

If certain other rules stay the same, it would mean 4 players from each club (give or take, depending on movement of other players) would have to be offered a downgraded Tier 3 contract by their existing club, therefore making them restricted free agents (i.e. they can join another club, expansion or not, without a trade if that club offers them a Tier 1 or Tier 2 contract).

But that's a big if, gonna have to wait for confirmation there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back