Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering the report of 2 players in each of Tier 1 and Tier 2, as well as the AFL's figure of $25.6m (which includes $623,922 in prizemoney), calculations suggest Tier 3 has increased from 6 to 14 players, while Tier 4 has decreased from 16 to 12 players.

To be clear, clubs will certainly still be able to adjust the number of players in each tier as long as the bottom line adds up the same (for instance: 3-2-10-15 and 2-3-12-13 both come to within a dollar of $1,388,404 like 2-2-14-12 does... not gonna get it exact without knowing the tier payments down to the cent).

That's interesting (assuming it's accurate), considering there were six players in Tier 2 for the last deal.

If certain other rules stay the same, it would mean 4 players from each club (give or take, depending on movement of other players) would have to be offered a downgraded Tier 3 contract by their existing club, therefore making them restricted free agents (i.e. they can join another club, expansion or not, without a trade if that club offers them a Tier 1 or Tier 2 contract).

But that's a big if, gonna have to wait for confirmation there.
Aaand despite what was widely reported yesterday, the AFLPA says something different today: 2-6-6-16 is the default, exactly like the last deal!

I know the Crows said around a year ago that they had made a profit on their womens team up to that point. I suspect they're the exception rather than the rule though.
And I suspect that's more to do with premiership merchandise sales.

Here's what Mark Ricciuto said in 2020:

"Women's football is not costing the Adelaide Football Club anything. It's actually making money. It is profitable and has been since pretty much day one because of new sponsors that have come on board to the club only because of women's football. We could not get BHP to spend a dollar with the Crows, could not get Thomas Foods to spend as much money as they are now unless women's footy was involved."

You could cut and paste just about any team and its respective sponsors into that paragraph (except maybe Gold Coast and probably GWS) and it'd still be accurate.

Here's what Mark Ricciuto said in 2020:

"Women's football is not costing the Adelaide Football Club anything. It's actually making money. It is profitable and has been since pretty much day one because of new sponsors that have come on board to the club only because of women's football. We could not get BHP to spend a dollar with the Crows, could not get Thomas Foods to spend as much money as they are now unless women's footy was involved."

You could cut and paste just about any team and its respective sponsors into that paragraph (except maybe Gold Coast and probably GWS) and it'd still be accurate.
Eagles have separate pages for AFL and AFLW partners. AFLW has seven listed, and while BHP is listed under both, most of the companies listed under AFLW, are not listed under AFL. Amounts are not given of course, but in WA, the Eagles are good at extracting dollars from the corporates, so I am guessing you dont get to be listed as a major partner for a pittance.

St Kilda are not going to be competitive next season. Have lost many good players and don't look like signing anyone decent with the expansion teams taking over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda are not going to be competitive next season. Have lost many good players and don't look like signing anyone decent with the expansion teams taking over

They were barely competitive this season. Lost their first seven games, and the only respectable loss among those was the 5 point loss to Brisbane. Then they fell over the line against Gold Coast (should have lost to Perkins' late kick) and beat Geelong who were also non-competitive this year.

Given that there has not yet been much of an exodus from the top clubs, it feels like next season is going to see a massive divide between the top and bottom clubs, even more so than the last few seasons. Middle-of-the-road clubs like Carlton, Bulldogs, Gold Coast and GWS all seem likely to be hit at least as hard as the top clubs by expansion, and few if any of the expansion clubs themselves are likely to be competitive. I am fully expecting a 2019 Geelong situation where one or two clubs will creep into the finals despite losing more matches than they win.

They were barely competitive this season. Lost their first seven games, and the only respectable loss among those was the 5 point loss to Brisbane. Then they fell over the line against Gold Coast (should have lost to Perkins' late kick) and beat Geelong who were also non-competitive this year.

Given that there has not yet been much of an exodus from the top clubs, it feels like next season is going to see a massive divide between the top and bottom clubs, even more so than the last few seasons. Middle-of-the-road clubs like Carlton, Bulldogs, Gold Coast and GWS all seem likely to be hit at least as hard as the top clubs by expansion, and few if any of the expansion clubs themselves are likely to be competitive. I am fully expecting a 2019 Geelong situation where one or two clubs will creep into the finals despite losing more matches than they win.
Yeh agreed. Essendon have put together a pretty good team so far, they're probably going to be one of the better expansion sides.
In contrast it's hard to see Hawthorn doing well.

Yeh agreed. Essendon have put together a pretty good team so far, they're probably going to be one of the better expansion sides.

Essendon seem like the closest analogue to North Melbourne, yes. Although people said similar things about Richmond after their expansion signings, so who knows?

I'm more concerned about Sydney. GWS hasn't exactly done much with sole access to that talent pool, and now it's going to be split in half. Sydney have signed, what, a couple of expansion players and a few former players? It's hard to see them being competitive any time soon.

Nicola Stevens is more than decent. A much better footballer than Lucas-Rodd, if we like players who know what they're doing rather than just hacking it 20 times a game.

For all of Erin McKinnon's flaws, she can win a hitout which will probably come in handy for a team starved of talls.

Why mention they fell over the line against GC but neglect the reverse happening against GWS.

Better for a developing side to lose its first seven than last seven. Clearly showed considerable improvement over the season, and their two best players are going to come back eventually (won by 56 points last time they took the field), so I don't see a reason to worry about their competitiveness at this stage.

And Geelong were exceptionally competitive this year despite the win-loss column. Another team I wouldn't worry about too much, pending fitness and players being used in the right position. Atm it would seem they are going to pull off the biggest trade for the second year in a row (considering Huntington's injuries, and Harris just went up the road whereas it's a bigger feat to get the most prodigious young talents in SA & WA to move across the country).

Why mention they fell over the line against GC but neglect the reverse happening against GWS.

Better for a developing side to lose its first seven than last seven. Clearly showed considerable improvement over the season, and their two best players are going to come back eventually (won by 56 points last time they took the field), so I don't see a reason to worry about their competitiveness at this stage.

Fair call on GWS, that one slipped past me.

The Southern Saints have a great record against Essendon.

As a break from signings/trade/draft talk, I'm going to take a guess at the fixture of AFLW Round 1 (2022.2) - all times AEST

Friday August 26th
7:20pm - Essendon v Carlton at Marvel Stadium

Saturday August 27th
1:05pm - Geelong Cats v Richmond at GMHBA Stadium
3:05pm - West Coast Eagles v St Kilda at Mineral Resources Park
5:05pm - GWS Giants v Fremantle at Blacktown International Sports Park
7:20pm - Hawthorn v Adelaide at Marvel Stadium

Sunday August 28th
11:05am - North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs at Arden Street Oval
1:05pm - Sydney v Gold Coast at Henson Park
3:05pm - Port Adelaide v Collingwood at Alberton Oval
5:05pm - Brisbane Lions v Melbourne at the Gabba (or Brighton Homes Arena, if ready)

I've gone with the Bombers to open the season against the Blues for a number of reasons, including the big supporter base of both clubs, the historic rivalry, Essendon's 150th Year celebrations, Prespakis and Gee moving from the Blues to the Bombers, and a neutral supporter interest on if Carlton has dropped off (after the off-season moves) and will Essendon live up to the hype.

Next I've gone with the Eagles and the Saints, giving two struggling sides an even battle to start with and hope for a win in Round 1.

GWS v Freo kind of 'shook out in the wash' with teams I had left over.

I went with Hawthorn to host Adelaide as a nod to history (the Crows first AFL game was against the Hawks at Football Park), and Bec Goddard coming up against the side she coached to a flag in 2017.

North v the Western Bulldogs was for a game between two sides that finished mid-table last year, and to show where both are at, plus a local rivalry (and fans don't have to travel far for the early start).

I've got Sydney to host Gold Coast, so a new side hosting a Phase 2 expansion team, and with GC losing a few players, will be good to see where the Swans are at straight up.

Now, for Port Adelaide v Collingwood. I didn't put the Power against the Crows, because Adelaide Oval is being used that weekend for a Rugby match. Next best bet is the Pies. Like Hawks v Crows, it's a nod to the first AFL game for the Power, but in reverse with Port hosting. Plus the verbal warfare over "black and white stripes", could create a bit of extra buzz with some faux-controversy and have Kochie suggest Port will wear the Prison Bars in this game!

Finally, Lions v Dees - a good game to finish off Round 1 with the two Preliminary finalists going head to head.

As a break from signings/trade/draft talk, I'm going to take a guess at the fixture of AFLW Round 1 (2022.2) - all times AEST

Friday August 26th
7:20pm - Essendon v Carlton at Marvel Stadium

Saturday August 27th
1:05pm - Geelong Cats v Richmond at GMHBA Stadium
3:05pm - West Coast Eagles v St Kilda at Mineral Resources Park
5:05pm - GWS Giants v Fremantle at Blacktown International Sports Park
7:20pm - Hawthorn v Adelaide at Marvel Stadium

Sunday August 28th
11:05am - North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs at Arden Street Oval
1:05pm - Sydney v Gold Coast at Henson Park
3:05pm - Port Adelaide v Collingwood at Alberton Oval
5:05pm - Brisbane Lions v Melbourne at the Gabba (or Brighton Homes Arena, if ready)

I've gone with the Bombers to open the season against the Blues for a number of reasons, including the big supporter base of both clubs, the historic rivalry, Essendon's 150th Year celebrations, Prespakis and Gee moving from the Blues to the Bombers, and a neutral supporter interest on if Carlton has dropped off (after the off-season moves) and will Essendon live up to the hype.

Next I've gone with the Eagles and the Saints, giving two struggling sides an even battle to start with and hope for a win in Round 1.

GWS v Freo kind of 'shook out in the wash' with teams I had left over.

I went with Hawthorn to host Adelaide as a nod to history (the Crows first AFL game was against the Hawks at Football Park), and Bec Goddard coming up against the side she coached to a flag in 2017.

North v the Western Bulldogs was for a game between two sides that finished mid-table last year, and to show where both are at, plus a local rivalry (and fans don't have to travel far for the early start).

I've got Sydney to host Gold Coast, so a new side hosting a Phase 2 expansion team, and with GC losing a few players, will be good to see where the Swans are at straight up.

Now, for Port Adelaide v Collingwood. I didn't put the Power against the Crows, because Adelaide Oval is being used that weekend for a Rugby match. Next best bet is the Pies. Like Hawks v Crows, it's a nod to the first AFL game for the Power, but in reverse with Port hosting. Plus the verbal warfare over "black and white stripes", could create a bit of extra buzz with some faux-controversy and have Kochie suggest Port will wear the Prison Bars in this game!

Finally, Lions v Dees - a good game to finish off Round 1 with the two Preliminary finalists going head to head.
GC are losing more than a few players....

I've gone with the Bombers to open the season against the Blues for a number of reasons...
I think it's really important to have two high quality teams in the Friday night game. It's going to be the only footy on in between the last round of the men's and the men's finals. There's going to be a lot of eyeballs on that Friday game. Possibly more than at any other point in the season. I would like to engineer the best possible spectacle and I think you do that with finals teams - probably some combination of Adelaide, Brisbane, Fremantle and Melbourne. You could potentially have all four of those teams play with one game in Perth and one on the east coast.

I think it's really important to have two high quality teams in the Friday night game. It's going to be the only footy on in between the last round of the men's and the men's finals. There's going to be a lot of eyeballs on that Friday game. Possibly more than at any other point in the season. I would like to engineer the best possible spectacle and I think you do that with finals teams - probably some combination of Adelaide, Brisbane, Fremantle and Melbourne. You could potentially have all four of those teams play with one game in Perth and one on the east coast.
Don't mind the Friday doubleheader at all! Continues to be tried in the men's but the length of the game hurts it. The AFLW probably has the best game length for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back