Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible news, hopefully her club comes together because the teammate she collided with will feel horrible for a long time.

I can't imagine how Travis feels, knowing he might be playing in a finals series over the next month, if he does.

Very sad news in the above posts.

Change of topic --
Was not sure where to put this but it relates to the continuing rapid expansion of Womens Footy and the strain/shortage on suitable grounds and facilities.
This is not confined to our sport it appears.
A very Resurgent Cricket Australia has announced a big expenditure Australia wide on grassroots facilities, which has strong connection to our grassroots game.
It said--- Research on sporting infrastructure Australia wide revealed that Cricket will need 1400 Cricket Ovals in the next 10 yrs to keep up with demand.
Its initial program is to develop 270 facilities ASAP, and force the shortage issue.
Now which sport usually shares ovals with Cricket - Our game of course.
Will the AFL jump into bed with C.A.- Who knows.

Also Soccer Australia has announced a new big fighting fund to build grassroots facilities to stop the turning away of Juniors especially girls.

That is a huge number, but it makes sense given only a dozen people are using a cricket oval at once.

AFL, Cricket Aus and local and state governments need to work together quickly to build double the amount of planned ovals in new estates and redeveloped areas. I have seen plans for Clyde in SE melbourne (one of the fastest growing region in Aus) and there are two ovals at every new park spread out about 1km from eachother. This should probably be somehow boosted to 3 at each location before construction begins in the next 5 years.

A very Resurgent Cricket Australia has announced a big expenditure Australia wide on grassroots facilities, which has strong connection to our grassroots game.
It said--- Research on sporting infrastructure Australia wide revealed that Cricket will need 1400 Cricket Ovals in the next 10 yrs to keep up with demand.
Its initial program is to develop 270 facilities ASAP, and force the shortage issue.
I assume this refers to cricket requiring an in increase of 1400 additional ovals (ie net increase of 1400)?
A 10 year Australia-wide net increase of 1400 is very large. It will benefit AF if it transpires.

My understanding there is no looming shortage of AF ovals in regional/rural Vic., WA., SA, Tas., or NT. Due to demographic/economic changes, some of these areas have been experiencing a softening in male GR AF nos.

I have heard that in NSW (eg Penrith CC) that some cricket Clubs are resisiting attempts by GR AF clubs to use (playing or training) vacant cricket ovals in winter.
Some cricket clubs claim that AF winter use might/will:-

.damage the turf wicket
.interfere with cricket club pre-season (ie winter) training
.interfere with the occasional cricket club winter fund-raiser match; or unofficial, casual winter playing of cricket matches by friends etc

Any chance of providing the media reference?

Last edited:
I assume this refers to cricket requiring an in increase of 1400 additional ovals (ie net increase of 1400)?
A 10 year Australia-wide net increase of 1400 is very large. It will benefit AF if it transpires.

My understanding there is no looming shortage of AF ovals in regional/rural Vic., WA., SA, Tas., or NT. Due to demographic/economic changes, some of these areas have been experiencing a softening in male GR AF nos.

I have heard that in NSW (eg Penrith CC) that some cricket Clubs are resisiting attempts by GR AF clubs to use (playing or training) vacant cricket ovals in winter.
Some cricket clubs claim that AF winter use might/will:-

.damage the turf wicket
.interfere with cricket club pre-season (ie winter) training
.interfere with the occasional cricket club winter fund-raiser match; or unofficial, casual winter playing of cricket matches by friends etc

Any chance of providing the media reference?

Yesterdays Oz Paper Edition

Yes the problem is in the overcrowded Cities- Likely to be Syd, Melb, Maybe Bris.
C. A. have allocated 38 million from their re adjusted budget (They fired staff). So I would say there is strong intent at this time to carry it out.
They are on a roll with their growth and look determined to expand.
Do you think AFL House will take a position of support like the setting up of the Randwick Racecourse deal for a new Oval.

Not surprised about Sydney

Will not be much of a test, by the time the season starts, she will be 6 or 7 months, with twins. Doubt the AFL will be stuck trying to figure out if she can play or not.

She is due in March, I doubt she'd play in the season at all, maybe the final round if she bounced back very quickly.

I can't wait to see what the longterm injury list says.

Will not be much of a test, by the time the season starts, she will be 6 or 7 months, with twins. Doubt the AFL will be stuck trying to figure out if she can play or not.
I’m more curious as to whether Melbourne will be allowed to bring in another player. She’s due in March so no way is she playing

I’m more curious as to whether Melbourne will be allowed to bring in another player. She’s due in March so no way is she playing

Would this be a question clubs could ask during drafting? “Do you plan to have a child in the next x months?”

I know that’s a ridiculously contentious question, but from the point of view of a club wanting to succeed, why would they want to draft a player who may choose to have a child in their first year at the club? Take it further, what about if they have children in both the first and second years. Do they remain on equal pay to those playing?

Minefield.

Would this be a question clubs could ask during drafting? “Do you plan to have a child in the next x months?”

I know that’s a ridiculously contentious question, but from the point of view of a club wanting to succeed, why would they want to draft a player who may choose to have a child in their first year at the club? Take it further, what about if they have children in both the first and second years. Do they remain on equal pay to those playing?

Minefield.

No you can't ask that question to then decide whether you draft her or not. What should be allowed is the ability to replace that player during that period just like the work force.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would expect so. Previously, players not available for the season have been able to be replaced. She isn't injured, but she isn't available either.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

No you can't ask that question to then decide whether you draft her or not. What should be allowed is the ability to replace that player during that period just like the work force.

Flip the scenario, what would happen if Dusty Martin decided to take a season off? (I mean “decided” in the sense that it’s not an unexpected injury)

Would Richmond be allowed to bring in a new player, and would they then have to keep paying his salary for the whole year, along with fitting the new player into the existing salary cap?

What if he then decided to take the following year off with no prior notice?

Or if that’s too extreme, what if Patrick Cripps told the club he will be taking the season off to be the primary care giver to his new child? Would that be ok and acceptable?

Last edited:
This is really interesting. Something we've never had to think about with the AFL.
I think it is something that is going to be a huge plus for AFLW. Firstly, there is still; the image of female footy as a butch lesbians sport. I suspect there are still parents reluctant to let their girls play for this reason. Having the most high profile player in the game having time off to have twins (with her male partner) is a huge counterweight to this.

Secondly, when Freos Dana Hooker had a child prior to the first season, baby was at a number of games, and was seen being carried around by her in her gear, and other players. I imagine Daisy will return to footy, she seems to committed not to, so expect to see the twins featuring during telecasts of Demons games, and team mates gushing over them. The auw gee, thats cute factor, will play enormously well to women, especially those that may have seen the sport as to rough and unfeminine.

As an inadvertent marketing tool, its enormous, and the AFL doesn't even have to go all exploitative on it, them just being around will be enough.

Losing Daisy for an important season will be a negative, but gaining twins will be a huge plus.

I think it is something that is going to be a huge plus for AFLW. Firstly, there is still; the image of female footy as a butch lesbians sport. I suspect there are still parents reluctant to let their girls play for this reason. Having the most high profile player in the game having time off to have twins (with her male partner) is a huge counterweight to this.

Secondly, when Freos Dana Hooker had a child prior to the first season, baby was at a number of games, and was seen being carried around by her in her gear, and other players. I imagine Daisy will return to footy, she seems to committed not to, so expect to see the twins featuring during telecasts of Demons games, and team mates gushing over them. The auw gee, thats cute factor, will play enormously well to women, especially those that may have seen the sport as to rough and unfeminine.

As an inadvertent marketing tool, its enormous, and the AFL doesn't even have to go all exploitative on it, them just being around will be enough.

Losing Daisy for an important season will be a negative, but gaining twins will be a huge plus.
Plus it’s not like she’ll be ‘lost’ - you’ll expect her to show up this season at games etc and potentially have an off field role

What is meant here by test case for AFL? Maternity payments by being a listed player or the ability to replace a listed player in this circumstance? I think it will be treated the same as an LTI. I remember we had one of our first marquee players do an ACL before the season started and were allowed to replace. I don't think this is a huge deal.

Flip the scenario, what would happen if Dusty Martin decided to take a season off? (I mean “decided” in the sense that it’s not an unexpected injury)

Would Richmond be allowed to bring in a new player, and would they then have to keep paying his salary for the whole year, along with fitting the new player into the existing salary cap?

Or if that’s too extreme, what if Patrick Cripps told the club he will be taking the season off to be the primary care giver to his new child? Would that be ok and acceptable?
Firstly , when the poster said 'you cant ask that' you literally and legally cannot ask that question. In any employment situation , as Daisy is employed that question cant be asked

I do agree on a replacement on the list. Like a LTI. But there needs to be a negotiated settlement.

AFL lists are designed to accommodate this sort of thing, and AFLW lists aren't.

Because if teams don't get injuries, the short season means a club might only use 24 or so players, lists have been kept short to keep costs down.

The flipside is, if teams do suffer losses, they have little capacity to absorb them.

The compromise is, short lists, but if players become unavailable before or early in the season, they can be replaced.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Others have answered it better than I ever could. My view was from an employment situation that you can't discriminate or at least be seen to discriminate and as has been said you just can't ask the question. As for your Dusty Martin situation it's completely different but to be fair I wouldn't know what the scenario might be if a player chose to be a stay at home dad or was forced to be due to loss of their partner. I imagine he would receive a differing level of support than affordable at AFLW level where if someone like Martin they could have an agreement where he still played and had assistance with child care. Interesting scenario but at this time unlikely.

What about splitting up the season and playing games in October-November then coming back in March ?
Needs to be a Spring comp.
With 10 teams you simply start the week after the GF, nine rounds then two weeks of finals. Done by Xmas.
- less competition from other sports
- no heat isssues
When the league expands you can have two conferences and stick wit the same timing, or start After round 23.

Last edited:
Needs to be an autumn comp.
With 10 teams you simply start the week after the GF, nine rounds then two weeks of finals. Done by Xmas.
- less competition from other sports
- no heat isssues
When the league expands you can have two conferences and stick wit the same timing, or start After round 23.

Do you know when Autumn is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back