Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

From the politics liveblog by the guardian today: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...b0b5565ec2fd4b#block-5ba1e18ae4b0b5565ec2fd4b

Posting it all here because it is already hidden by other news of the day and we'll have to wait for a proper article to be written.
The first instalment of a $30m handout to Foxtel by the Coalition was spent on 12 sports that were previously shown on the pay TV carrier and that include men’s rugby league, a freedom of information request from Fairfax Media has revealed.

The $30m windfall for Foxtel was meant to “support the broadcast of underrepresented sports on subscription television, including women’s sports, niche sports, and sports with a high level of community involvement and participation” when it was announced in the 2016 budget.

But the $7.5m allocated for the 2017-18 financial year was used to screen the AFL, soccer, rugby union, rugby league, cycling, lawn bowls, surfing, Ironman, surf lifesaving, cricket, basketball and hockey, some of which are already seen on free-to-air.

There has been very little explanation from either Foxtel or the government about how the subscription broadcaster will use the funds or why they were allocated.

An earlier freedom of information request by the ABC revealed there was no paperwork to explain why the government had given the funds to Foxtel.

We could have had all or a majority of AFLW games broadcast on free to air television by the ABC if they had the budget to bid on the broadcast rights, we know Channel 7 doesn't care about the sport and only ran it because they were given the rights for free.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...amid-criticism-of-a-year-of-missteps/10291446

"...there are questions being raised as to how the AFL is handling the juggernaut...".
Pressure is mounting for the AFL to publicly release its next 2, 5, & 10 year plans for the AFLW.

It appears many (understandably) don't want AFLX to be played concurrently with the AFLW -reduces the latter's much needed "clear media air".

It's also interesting that:-
. some women are so keen to play in the AFLW that some may decide to delay parenthood. Not a problem men face!
. Peter Gordon, Footscray President, said "The AFLW is the most profound and important progress in the sport since Harrison and Wills" ie since the 1858 foundation!

Clearly great scrutiny & high expectations are being placed on the AFL re the AFLW & female GR AF.

Last edited:
We could have had all or a majority of AFLW games broadcast on free to air television by the ABC if they had the budget to bid on the broadcast rights, we know Channel 7 doesn't care about the sport and only ran it because they were given the rights for free.

Actually it cost 7 to broadcast them. They didnt pay any money to the league but they did have to cover their own production and broadcast costs. So did Fox.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-26/aflw-concussion-acl-injuries-highlighted

There were 14 concussions suffered in the 2017 AFLW season, including those that didn't cause players to miss a match. This increased slightly to 16 in 2018.

In order to compare injury rates between the AFL and AFLW, the report converted the data to show an incidence rate based on 1000 player hours.

Torn ACL injuries increased from 4.31 per 1000 hours in 2017 to 6.47 this year. By comparison, there were only 0.7 ACL injuries per 1000 player hours in the AFL in 2017.

The incidence of concussion causing missed matches was 3.2 injuries per 1000 player hours in both AFLW seasons, compared to 1.5 injuries per 1000 hours in the 2017 AFL season.

This injury incidence is a very serious problem, unless rectified.

In the 80's in the VFL, there were an average total of 40 tackles per game (ie 20 per side) -now in the AFL, there are an average of 140 per AFL game. Prof. K.Norton said collision injuries (ie tackle/bump/push/collision) are at record highs in the AFL. This is the direct consequence of having so many players almost constantly around the ball, & they are more explosive/running faster/hitting harder. All due to having 4 on the bench, & large nos. of interchange -so they can constantly run to the contest, after so many refreshing rests on the bench. We must return the game to 18 v 18.

Congestion & tackle counts are also horrifically high in the AFLW (game times are shorter, less % of clean disposals). Chloe Molloy is the latest, recent victim - out for the 2019 AFLW, due to a foot injury received in a tackle in a VFLW game.

Congestion & tacklecounts, due to regular massive flooding, are also often a big problem in COMMUNITY jnr. male (from U16) & senior male AF.
Light weight players (including adult males under 74 kgs) often have "nowhere to hide". The coaches' ancient, sage admonishing tactic for little blokes "Run into space (in the forward line) get away from your man" is often no longer effective. Not ENOUGH space!
Light weight players are getting SMASHED OUT OF THE GAME! Too many rugby-style congested packs. More likelihood of injuries! (I will expand on this later)

Prof. Norton, the AFL's own appointed expert, said interchange nos. should be between 20-40 per team, to open the game up/reduce the tackle counts. Former Commission Chairman M. Fitzpatrick wanted maximum of 30 interchange per team, but was overturned on the Commission (no reasons ever provided). The AFL MUST free the game of congestion, thus reducing the heavy tackle/collision rates; & wind back the interchange/have only 2 on the bench. Starting zones at all stoppages -10 seconds to get into your zone?

/www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-2015-leading-afl-consultant-says-reducing-rotations-to-20-would-solve-congestion-crisis/news-story/2a4de80d6ce390457e753f11b36859a5

Tackleball is an OHS issue, as well as an ugly, stoppages-filled blight on the game (& congestion is contrary to the AFL's own Charter Of The Game - their desire for generally free flowing & good scoring football).

Regular long kicking & contested marking are the essential features of AF. Both are well down, as is the average number of running bounces per game (a spectacular, unique feature of AF). Crowds, on a per capita basis, are significantly down in Vic., WA, SA, & Tas. (& down significantly on raw nos. in Tas.).

https://theconversation.com/afl-must-change-ticketing-and-ugby-rules-that-drive-away-fans-26059

Anecdotally, it appears many young female AF players are discussing/ asking questions about the incidence/effects of concussion in AF. I, & others in GR AF, have become aware of a seeming "whispering campaign" amongst GR adult women involved in other jnr. female sports, who are raising with young females the issue of concussion in AF. We believe this is a deliberate ploy to deter young females from playing jnr. AF.

Last edited:
A s**t thing to say infront of kids Mick, let alone an AFLW player.

Jason Akermanis was a speaker at the lunch too and Mick somehow managed to have the biggest *up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Important to note the relatively part time professional athletes in the AFLW compared to the AFL, if not simply that men are better built to withstand physical tasks.
Actually has nothing to do with part time/full time professional. There have been a number of reputable studies that show women are 3-5 times more likely to suffer an ACL injury.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4805849/

Pretty good summary of the factors

Id like to see or hear the speech before judging.

Yeah, particularly given Malthouse has basically denied saying most of what Hope claimed. If there were heaps of people in the room it shouldn't be hard to verify.

Her comment doesn't give her a lot of credence I have to say.
"I put my mic down and left the appearance, something I've never done before. I was so disgusted and embarrassed, I almost cried, I almost had a panic attack."
It makes her sound ridiculously fragile. A panic attack because Mick said something you didn't like? What is she, 6 years old?

Don’t let the truth get in the way of a beat up
Lol your avatar is Akermanis. Just no.

Maybe dumb but not degrading

Men get mocked all the time ....she seems like a giant whiner and her girlfriend has gone on the attack obviously another whiner
Sorry, all I heard was whine whine whine.

Explain how the comment "football is a man's game" is not degrading to women's football, or else take your complaining elsewhere.

Yeah, particularly given Malthouse has basically denied saying most of what Hope claimed. If there were heaps of people in the room it shouldn't be hard to verify.

Her comment doesn't give her a lot of credence I have to say.
"I put my mic down and left the appearance, something I've never done before. I was so disgusted and embarrassed, I almost cried, I almost had a panic attack."
It makes her sound ridiculously fragile. A panic attack because Mick said something you didn't like? What is she, 6 years old?
well didnt she do the same thing on survivor?

Not very head strong old Mo. Not much of a footy player either tbf

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lol your avatar is Akermanis. Just no.

Sorry, all I heard was whine whine whine.

Explain how the comment "football is a man's game" is not degrading to women's football, or else take your complaining elsewhere.
Sorry since when does a picture matter? Typical that you don’t back up your sook with any actual evidence, we shouldn’t really expect any less from the constantly offended.

Has any one actually confirmed he said “football is a mans game” other than Moana? I know who I’d believe and it’s not the person who walks out of an appearance with kids and claims comments almost gave her a panic attack.

Well it is a game that was created by men, developed by men and done so to suit men's physical abilities.

Women can play it, doesn't mean their bodies are best suited to it. The men's game has had rules introduced to lessen injuries of certain types, why would the women's game not be treated the same way?

Well it is a game that was created by men, developed by men and done so to suit men's physical abilities.

Women can play it, doesn't mean their bodies are best suited to it. The men's game has had rules introduced to lessen injuries of certain types, why would the women's game not be treated the same way?
Your rational will not sit well with the irrational

The solution to congested crap, ugly/scrappy mauls, record stoppages & tackles- & RECORD number now of tackling/bumping/collision etc. injuries in male & female AF.
AF is good, AF can be strong, we gotta get right back to where we started from...a love like ours can never fade away. Maxine knows.

Enjoy.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dANdPhs3Ilo

Last edited:
For AF, we gotta get right back to where we started from- without the interchange (except for Blood Rule & Head Knock assessments) & only 2 substitutes. Then we will see more of this (contested marks now are at Record lows -due to record low nos. now of long kicks ).

Jump, jump for our love...you know AF needs you.
AF knows you like what you see.
You're so excited, AF feels you getting hotter
If you want more, more, more... then jump for AF love

Enjoy

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back