Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Flicked over to watch a couple of mins last night in the Freo v Coll game and the timing was incredible. It sort of summed up exactly the phase the AFLW is going through in these early parts.
A Freo girl ran though the centre and kicked a beautiful drop punt into the forward 50 as good as you’ll see, then a tall forward took a really impressive contested mark to cap off 5 seconds of excellent play. She then went back for a set shot and dribbled it along the ground.
I’m sure the first part was better than anything I think I can remember seeing from what I’ve watched and the second part the worst.
More of the first part as the league progresses would be great.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Flicked over to watch a couple of mins last night in the Freo v Coll game and the timing was incredible. It sort of summed up exactly the phase the AFLW is going through in these early parts.
A Freo girl ran though the centre and kicked a beautiful drop punt into the forward 50 as good as you’ll see, then a tall forward took a really impressive contested mark to cap off 5 seconds of excellent play. She then went back for a set shot and dribbled it along the ground.
I’m sure the first part was better than anything I think I can remember seeing from what I’ve watched and the second part the worst.
More of the first part as the league progresses would be great.

Yah we were pretty poor after the first half yesterday. Normally a lot cleaner. Kicking and marking were much worse. Definitely seen improvements from the majority of teams this season.

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I hope people switchedd of the GWS vs Carlton and instead tuned in to Sydney FC vs Perth Glory in the W-League. Now that is a top quality competition. Even the WNBL has some great action

This however is a shower of s**t.

I dont enjoy watching amateurs get professional coverage. Let the professionals get professional coverage (ie. W-League and WNBL)

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I hope people switchedd of the GWS vs Carlton and instead tuned in to Sydney FC vs Perth Glory in the W-League. Now that is a top quality competition. Even the WNBL has some great action

I dont enjoy watching amateurs get professional coverage. Let the professionals get professional coverage (ie. W-League and WNBL)

And I didnt enjoy your post, but here we are.

You dont have to watch it. You dont just get handed professional coverage on a platter. Its a combination of a professional organisation working with a professional broadcaster to deliver a desired outcome. Womens soccer and the WNBL may not have these things. That has nothing to do with AFLW.

Were it not for Sam Kerr there would be absolutely no reason to even pass thought on the W-League.

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
And I didnt enjoy your post, but here we are.

You dont have to watch it. You dont just get handed professional coverage on a platter. Its a combination of a professional organisation working with a professional broadcaster to deliver a desired outcome. Womens soccer and the WNBL may not have these things. That has nothing to do with AFLW.

I didnt think you would get professional coverage on a platter but here we are. When a competition is made to leak cash, make no profit and in general just run without a care for money since it is sourced elsewhere, you can get that outcome I suppose.

People say its unfair to rag on the AFLW. I think its unfair for AFLW to buy free coverage at the expense of the other professional womens sports like WNBL and W-League who dont have the cash cows beside them to compete.

That is whats unfair.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I didnt think you would get professional coverage on a platter but here we are. When a competition is made to leak cash, make no profit and in general just run without a care for money since it is sourced elsewhere, you can get that outcome I suppose.

People say its unfair to rag on the AFLW. I think its unfair for AFLW to buy free coverage at the expense of the other professional womens sports like WNBL and W-League who dont have the cash cows beside them to compete.

That is whats unfair.
So you are here just to whine then?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

That is whats unfair.

It took close to a decade for the WNBA to even come close to profitability. AFLW - like every other womens comp in the country at the moment, except the WNBL, is leveraging the male side of the sport to cover its costs and wage bills.

Your argument here isnt unfair, its ridiculous. The AFLW coverage isnt being bought at the expense of anyone elses coverage. The others simply either arent doing it, dont want to do it or cant afford to do it.

Further, the tv coverage hasnt been bought - the first deal was for no money, with 7 and Fox covering production. The new deal is for 2.5 million over 4 years and production costs are still covered.

Why hasnt the W-league signed a similar deal to SuperNetball and the NBL to get on 9Go! for 2 matches a week and shared revenue? The WNBL chooses to remain under Basketball Australia and not aligned to the NBL and as such will almost never have cash. None of these things are related to the coverage the AFLW gets.

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
It took close to a decade for the WNBA to even come close to profitability. AFLW - like every other womens comp in the country at the moment, except the WNBL, is leveraging the male side of the sport to cover its costs and wage bills.

Your argument here isnt unfair, its ridiculous. The AFLW coverage isnt being bought at the expense of anyone elses coverage. The others simply either arent doing it, dont want to do it or cant afford to do it.

Further, the tv coverage hasnt been bought - the first deal was for no money, with 7 and Fox covering production. The new deal is for 2.5 million over 4 years and production costs are still covered.

Why hasnt the W-league signed a similar deal to SuperNetball and the NBL to get on 9Go! for 2 matches a week and shared revenue? The WNBL chooses to remain under Basketball Australia and not aligned to the NBL and as such will almost never have cash. None of these things are related to the coverage the AFLW gets.

The first deal was obviously incorporated into the AFL deal and if you think otherwise, you are nuts.

The WNBL stands on its own two feet. Why is that a bad thing. WNBL and NBL are two different products. Incorporating them as one would be unfair on both sides, like is the case with AFL and AFLW (guys getting a raw deal due to lost resources and girls getting unfairly compared)

The idea their is a unlimited amount of coverage is wrong, The idea coverage isnt a purchased commodity is also incorrect. The AFLW is leveraging the AFLs dominance to get coverage and respect, rather then standing on their own two feet and getting it organically. Im not the only person in the world who can see this and doesnt respect this.

This thread is titled playing nice. I dont think AFLW is playing nice or fair. Essentially using the AFL as a pawn in a a way to earn respect isnt all that nice. W-Leage, WNBL, Netball stand on their own and I respect them for it more then I respect those who use others success for their own gains

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The first deal was obviously incorporated into the AFL deal and if you think otherwise, you are nuts.

AFLW wasnt even a thing when the AFL deal was signed - the AFL deal was signed in August 2015, the AFLW deal was signed in December 2016 and a new deal was signed in december 2018. The AFLW club tender process didnt evens start until April 2016. While the next deal may include AFLW the current one doesnt, and if you think otherwise, then you are somewhat misguided.

The WNBL stands on its own two feet. Why is that a bad thing. WNBL and NBL are two different products. Incorporating them as one would be unfair on both sides, like is the case with AFL and AFLW (guys getting a raw deal)

Dont leave out the W-league, WBBL, NRLW and SuperW - all competitions which leverage the mens comp, clubs and league operations.

The guys dont seem to care, and most seem to openly encourage it, and Im sure they miss the collective 4-5 million a year its costing the league - which they arent entitled to anyway because their CBA was signed before the AFLW was even launched.

The idea their is a unlimited amount of coverage is wrong, The idea coverage isnt a purchased commodity is also incorrect. The AFLW is leveraging the AFLs dominance to get coverage and respect, rather then standing on their own two feet and getting it organically. Im not the only person in the world who can see this and doesnt respect this.

This idea that you can link one sports coverage to another sport is wrong. Its not just popularity, its about the professional ability of the organisations involved to negotiate a decent deal. Sometimes its about a sport being so ingrained in 3 or 4 states, and summer "needing" footy coverage.

The idea that the tv coverage was purchased is refuted in a number of media reports, as is the idea that the league actually received money for its coverage in the most recent deal. No womens sport in this country - with the notable exception of Netball - has ever got mainstream coverage organically - Womens sport on fox? Government grant. W-league on SBS2 - or the ABC? Government money. WBBL and W-league - owned and operated by Cricket Australia and the FFA who also operate the BBL and A-league.

This thread is titled playing nice.

Nice. Not ridiculous.

I dont think AFLW is playing nice or fair. Essentially using the AFL as a pawn in a a way to earn respect isnt all that nice. W-Leage, WNBL, Netball stand on their own and I respect them for it more then I respect those who use others success for their own gains

its an AFL organisation, owned and run by the AFL. Its not using the AFL, the AFL is using it - its driving participation, and sponsorship for the league and its clubs to levels not seen before. Womens footy is the fastest growing participation segment for the AFL. The AFL would be absolutely negligent in not promoting the womens competition, both as a league and as the governing body for the sport.

The W-league DOESNT stand on its own. All but one of its clubs are operated by mens clubs, and its owned and operated by the FFA - no different to the AFLW being run by the AFL. The WBBL doesnt stand on its own for the same reason - owned and operated by Cricket Australia, shared with the Mens comp.

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
AFLW wasnt even a thing when the AFL deal was signed - the AFL deal was signed in August 2015, the AFLW deal was signed in December 2016 and a new deal was signed in december 2018. The AFLW club tender process didnt evens start until April 2016. While the next deal may include AFLW the current one doesnt, and if you think otherwise, then you are somewhat misguided.

Dont leave out the W-league, WBBL, NRLW and SuperW - all competitions which leverage the mens comp, clubs and league operations.

The guys dont seem to care, and most seem to openly encourage it, and Im sure they miss the collective 4-5 million a year its costing the league - which they arent entitled to anyway because their CBA was signed before the AFLW was even launched.

This idea that you can link one sports coverage to another sport is wrong. Its not just popularity, its about the professional ability of the organisations involved to negotiate a decent deal. Sometimes its about a sport being so ingrained in 3 or 4 states, and summer "needing" footy coverage.

The idea that the tv coverage was purchased is refuted in a number of media reports, as is the idea that the league actually received money for its coverage in the most recent deal. No womens sport in this country - with the notable exception of Netball - has ever got mainstream coverage organically - Womens sport on fox? Government grant. W-league on SBS2 - or the ABC? Government money. WBBL and W-league - owned and operated by Cricket Australia and the FFA who also operate the BBL and A-league.

Nice. Not ridiculous.

its an AFL organisation, owned and run by the AFL. Its not using the AFL, the AFL is using it - its driving participation, and sponsorship for the league and its clubs to levels not seen before. Womens footy is the fastest growing participation segment for the AFL. The AFL would be absolutely negligent in not promoting the womens competition, both as a league and as the governing body for the sport.

The W-league DOESNT stand on its own. All but one of its clubs are operated by mens clubs, and its owned and operated by the FFA - no different to the AFLW being run by the AFL. The WBBL doesnt stand on its own for the same reason - owned and operated by Cricket Australia, shared with the Mens comp.

1. Because AFLW was thought of and about in 20 seconds. They clearly had it in the pipelines when the last TV deal was signed etc.

2. WBBL is the only sport that leverages of the men. W-League stands on its own and has seperate deals and seperate revenue sources (ie. Perth Glory Womens team is mostly funded by WA Govt, according to the Glory, the FFA funds less then 10%, rest comes from government and owners purses). Unless Tony Sage is a big liar and you know more then he does?

3. Throwing 100 mill at something isnt professional ability. Its just a guy with too much money getting his way

4. The media reports the AFL sponsor and pay for? I dont think they are gonna rat themselves out. W-League, WNBL get little to no media coverage and the little they do is organically. The AFL is negiligent in promoting the womens competition because they are doing it at the expense of the mens competition. If you spend 100 mill in one area and you get 0 dollars back in revenue you are clearly taking someones peter away from paul

(Log in to remove this ad.)

le dominateur

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2009
sadelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
1. Because AFLW was thought of and about in 20 seconds. They clearly had it in the pipelines when the last TV deal was signed etc.

2. WBBL is the only sport that leverages of the men. W-League stands on its own and has seperate deals and seperate revenue sources (ie. Perth Glory Womens team is mostly funded by WA Govt, according to the Glory, the FFA funds less then 10%, rest comes from government and owners purses). Unless Tony Sage is a big liar and you know more then he does?

3. Throwing 100 mill at something isnt professional ability. Its just a guy with too much money getting his way

4. The media reports the AFL sponsor and pay for? I dont think they are gonna rat themselves out. W-League, WNBL get little to no media coverage and the little they do is organically. The AFL is negiligent in promoting the womens competition because they are doing it at the expense of the mens competition. If you spend 100 mill in one area and you get 0 dollars back in revenue you are clearly taking someones peter away from paul
At least you admit the W-league is funded by Government, would most likely not exist if not for that funding.

Conference setup is s**t and some very ordinary teams will play finals while some very good ones miss out. Suspect it was done for North and Geelong to both get through. Typical AFL manipulation.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Unless you can read minds, I doubt you can prove that. I havent seen anything anywhere that suggests the league was expected - and its irrelevant in any case - the media deals were signed separarely almost 18 months apart.

The W-league doesnt stand on its own. Thats utter rubbish. Sam Kerr for example is funded out of the FFA marquee fund. And relying on government funding and the owners - who also own the goddamn mens team - is hardly standing solo.

Those than can, do. Those that cant, bitch. its called properly laying the ground work - and where did you find this magical 100 million figure? Its also not really the AFLs fault it has more revenue than the other 3 football codes combined - about 25% more (according to the 2017 Annual reports).

4. The media reports the AFL sponsor and pay for? I dont think they are gonna rat themselves out.

So you favour palm reading, fortune telling and the mystic arts to arrive at conclusions that arent even vaguely supported by anyone else in the actual industry. Ok.

W-League, WNBL get little to no media coverage and the little they do is organically.

Frankly, not the AFLs problem. Or AFLWs.

The AFL is negiligent in promoting the womens competition because they are doing it at the expense of the mens competition.

its run at a completely separate time of the year, with money that wasnt available to the men in their CBA. With its own sponsors and broadcast income. And mens Footy has had 150 years to establish itself, i think people are well aware of it by now.

If you spend 100 mill in one area and you get 0 dollars back in revenue you are clearly taking someones peter away from paul

citation needed on this mythical 100 million the AFL is spending.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

The AFLW was clearly thought of in advance, but it was scheduled to start in 2020. Upping the timeframe to 2017 came pretty late in the piece. I doubt the networks would have made a deal about broadcasting AFLW at a time when almost nothing about it was known.

I also do not get what your point is, what did you want to happen? Do you want the AFL to not support or promote its own womens league because that would be unfair on other sports? Or are you saying the AFL should get a broadcast deal for the WBBL? What are you saying, other than having a general whinge.

If everything was hunky dory, according to you, what would it look like? I am genuinely curious.

le dominateur

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2009
sadelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
Cannot wait to see the outrage from the soccer lovers who pollute this thread when the Matilda’s become a very average team, make no mistake the AFLW will become bigger and better and take the best athletes.

I'd like to see the whining blokes stand Jassy Garner and try and defend her one on one.

Or go for a ground ball against Emma Kearney.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Cannot wait to see the outrage from the soccer lovers who pollute this thread when the Matilda’s become a very average team, make no mistake the AFLW will become bigger and better and take the best athletes.

the two the Blues nicked from Rugby 7s look like they are going to go just fine too

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

"Coverage" is usually determined by the level of interest. That many times more people watched the AFLW yesterday than the W-League final is indicative of that interest and coverage will usually reflect that.

What you subjectively think of the standard is not even remotely relevant.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
TBH that's a pretty s**t cartoon. People aren't going to suddenly start liking the AFLW because they get told they're sexist for not doing so.

I think it is a pretty powerful image of a chauvinist father completely ignorant/insensitive of his daughter's passion for the game

I don't think people anyone is being called sexist for not liking the AFLW. People actively and vocally railing against it are being called out. There's a massive difference

Vescio's cartoon, the way I see it, just emphasises that many of the haters would have daughters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back