Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Women playing, some representing Sth Melb., at Lakeside Oval in 1947, in front of a good crowd. Probably, the sole surviving, earliest, moving footage of a women's game.

AF has always attracted the highest % of female spectators, of any football code, in the world. What might have happened, if we, previously, had enlightened administrators?

From 2 min. mark to 4 min. mark, Debbie Lee & Sam Lane discuss the strong prejudice that existed, sadly, against females playing AF until recent years.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NoobPie

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Women playing, some representing Sth Melb., at Lakeside Oval in 1947, in front of a good crowd. Probably, the sole surviving, earliest, moving footage of a women's game.

AF has always attracted the highest % of female spectators, of any football code, in the world. What might have happened, if we, previously, had enlightened administrators?

From 2 min. mark to 4 min. mark, Debbie Lee & Sam Lane discuss the strong prejudice that existed, sadly, against females playing AF until recent years.

Enjoy.

Every football code has similar stories, BBT

zucchini

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bzzzzzzz. Wrong answer.

Before the AFLW began, the VFLW Grand Final of 2016 between Darebin and Melbourne Uni drew 4,000 paying customers (at $10 a head).

Last 2 VFLW Grand Finals roughly avg 7000 paying customers (at $20 a head).

Public will pay. In fact, most are surprised the AFL aren't at least doing gold coin donations for charitable causes.
Bzzzzzzz.

What was the average H&A attendance and how much was entry?

CrowdedHouse

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
CrowdedHouse??
Don't have any exact numbers, but from the games we did, anywhere from roughly 500 to 2,000 - which is not bad for state league level.

Entry fee situation is complicated as some grounds don't have a gate, and some games were Double-headers with paid entry.

Teen Wolf

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros

Melbourne will also play one AFLW game in Alice Springs for the next four years and endeavour to create VFL and VFLW opportunities for Northern Territory footballers.
I thought this worked well in 2018, even though some people used it as a chance to take potshots, and was sorry to see it not replicated for the 2019 season. Ideally play there against a rotation of big Vic clubs (or even small ones, I'm not exactly dying to go back to Casey Fields) so as to maintain some sort of home ground edge over the opposition while maximising interest.

No official word yet on what's going to happen with the Crows' Darwin game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CrowdedHouse

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
I know the AFLPA was meeting with at least one of the clubs on Friday afternoon.

A player who spoke to me about the situation - and to be clear her view, and not fully respresentative of other no voters - mentioned in previous chats with the AFLPA, it felt like they were being spoken down to, and that really p***ed her (and probably some others) off.

I think there will be a resolution, and by extension a fixture, but will take a couple of weeks of talks.

Biggie

Born is pride, from isolation
Sep 28, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco, Wildcats, ESH
I know the AFLPA was meeting with at least one of the clubs on Friday afternoon.

A player who spoke to me about the situation - and to be clear her view, and not fully respresentative of other no voters - mentioned in previous chats with the AFLPA, it felt like they were being spoken down to, and that really p***ed her (and probably some others) off.

I think there will be a resolution, and by extension a fixture, but will take a couple of weeks of talks.
Thanks for the update CrowdedHouse

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
Carlton

Wouldnt suprise me if they are being patronising gits.

The AFL Commission should send Simone Wilkie down to oversee the process. Shes not going to take crap from any side in the process - and she wont be intimidated by the AFLPA. (Thats Major General Simone Wilkie - Shes the highest ranked woman in the Australian Army and served in Iraq and Afghanistan). But then she probably doesnt have time either, but is probably the best person on the commission to sort this out.

Top Bottom