Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well what is indisputable is women's football is progressing a lot faster than what the conversation in this thread has.
Fair post.

Lets push on shall we? :)

What's this invasion crap?

Basketball is more skilled than football. It's easier to put a ball through a large area than a ball through a small hoop.

Camogie is more skilled than AFL.

I watch sport purely from a "my teams" perspective. So if my teams have a women's team I'll watch it.

Basketball? More skilful? Obviously it’s so hard to put a ball through a small hoop (with a backboard to make it more likely) that it hardly ever happens in a game. Oh.

I looked up Camogie thanks to this comment. I’m guessing you are biased, but have nothing but the evidence of your previous posts to back that up. I don’t think Camogie would qualify as an invasion sport either (or at least a successful one).

I found it interesting that when first introduced, Camogie was played on a smaller ground than the men’s version (hurling). Echoes of some of the suggestions on this board. The women’s ball is smaller too.
But in 1999 they moved to the full sized ground that hurling uses. I wonder why. And did it result in a change in scoring?

Watch an AFLW practice match or a girls national under 18 game, typically very clean skills and really free-flowing football. Put those some players into a Round 1 game for premiership points and suddenly all but a few don't look so polished.

I think if high-intensity tackling, from all directions, was allowed in basketball then there might be some fumbling going on there too.

The players already playing in the league now should be improved substantially by the end of five years.

If you can't learn to kick a football over 40 metres with decent power and accuracy in a five year period then you're just not a good footballer.

It shouldn't take that long (a whole generation) at all to be producing higher quality skills given we've seen players from other sporting backgrounds come in and do it well enough. The limit is a persons athletic ability to begin with.
Some of them just arent that good at football, no doubt. There are a big bag or attributes a player can have, and great players tend to have a lot of them. But you dont become a regular in the AFL without at least a decent number. You can be deficient or down on standard in some, so long as you make up for it elsewhere.

Hand eye coordination
speed
quickness (is different)
height
power
lateral movement
agility
width of vision
reading of the play
decision making
mental strength
endurance
hardness at the contest
competitiveness
hand-balling skill
kicking accuracy
kicking reliability
kicking length
creativity

You can keep adding them, there are a lot.

Very few male players in history have them all, but good players have a good number of them.
This means clubs can insist on certain attributes as non negotiable.

A minimum of at least a decent kick for instance. But you need a bunch of the others as well. So, if you end up with a bunch of potential players who are athletic and quick, read the play well, compete etc etc, then kicking ability may be the deciding factor

Right now, in the AFLW, there just arent that many players that tick lots of those boxes, so kicking becomes less of a factor. You may have a player whose speed and competitiveness and attack on the ball is so superior to your other potential draftees, that you take her despite issues with kicking. She may never be a good kick, but there arent enough girls who can kick, and who possess all these other characteristics, to force her out.

Victorian girls TAC cup is still not as long or developed as boys, and will not be for some time, and the standard isn't as consistent or high. Players do not get as developed in the girls as the boys, and will not for some time. The best female players coming out of it can mark, kick, navigate traffic, make decisions, but your talking maybe a dozen at this point. Those players are draft certainties. Most of the boys can do all those things, and some still dont get drafted.

All the deficiencies of AFLW will be corrected, within physical limits. But that there is now a pathway doesn't mean its anywhere nears as proficient at pumping out players as the boys is, so that correction will take a long time.

When the current 18 and 19 year olds are retiring after spending 10 - 15 years in AFLW, and their replacements who are currently in pre primary start arriving on the scene, then we can make a comparison if that is what floats your boat.

Given its the differences from mens footy that attract me to it, the disparity in skill level, the dramatic changes game development and younger players can bring, I am not going to bother with the comparison myself.

How do they determine who plays who in the finals and venue?

Is it the number 1 in each conference hosts the number 2 in the other conference? For the prelims

And then who hosts the gf

Week one, April 4-5
Semi-final one: A2 v B3
Semi-final two: B2 v A3
Byes: A1, B1

Week two, April 11-12
Preliminary final one: A1 v winner of B2/A3
Preliminary final two: B1 v winner of A2/B3

Grand Final, April 18
Winners of preliminary finals

Week one, April 4-5
Semi-final one: A2 v B3
Semi-final two: B2 v A3
Byes: A1, B1

Week two, April 11-12
Preliminary final one: A1 v winner of B2/A3
Preliminary final two: B1 v winner of A2/B3

Grand Final, April 18
Winners of preliminary finals
Jesus the top 3 of each make finals

There will be some s**t teams making it

thanks for posting
Only thing that lacks is who hosts the grand final?

Does anybody know if there is a website which gives scoring progression for the AFLW?
AFLW app has the worm for each match, if that's what you mean, 'click' on it and get the margin at any exact stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the thing that amazes me constantly is what these girls have to go through to play at this level.

• They have to fit their 'elite' training around their normal, usually, full time jobs of 40+ hours or so
  • If they get injured (11 ACLs to date) it can affect their ability to work those other jobs as well. Just try and imagine doing those jobs during the week, and many are in trades, with the injuries, bruises, stingers, muscle strain picked up from the game and training. An ACL for many is a risk of losing an apprenticeship or contract i.e. no more football and no more job and money.
  • They don't have the 100s of 1000s to take care of the bills easily or buy multiple houses. Many are struggling to put together enough money to pay the rent.
  • Many are also the primary carers for their kids. See how easy it is to fit that in with the above.
When you've seen all of what they have to deal with to play at this level, and they do so generally without complaint and with a smile on their face, the comments of the keyboard warriors expecting the women to play the same types of games as the men already is just laughable.

The least we can do is have some empathy, respect, and appreciate the herculean efforts and the grit of these women to pave the way forward for future generations who, hopefully being well paid, full time athletes who started AFL in pre-primary and kept going because of the efforts and sacrifice of these pioneers, will be able to provide high skilled, high quality AFL for our entertainment.

Last edited:
The least we can do is have some empathy, respect, and appreciate the herculean efforts and the grit of these women to pave the way forward for future generations who, hopefully being well paid, full time athletes who started AFL in pre-primary and kept going because of the efforts and sacrifice of these pioneers, will be able to provide high skilled, high quality AFL for our entertainment.
Image result for rock applause gif

After S. Price commented negatively & unreasonably about the AFLW (eg the standard, it was costing Richmond FC $1m pa to fund its AFLW team etc.), E. Maguire, in his support for the AFLW, deftly replied

(Since 2016, & the announcement of the AFLW) "Memberships everywhere are up, Collingwood is now 50/50 with women...the Gold Coast area has more people (Slip of the tongue- not more people. I assume he meant "GC & Qld. has more female footy comp. players") than SA, WA, Tasmania, & the NT combined...When you win (ie GCFC thrives, whilst other failed/failing pro codes on the GC close down- my words), you win big up there, & you know what's leading the charge: the women's footy".

Some interesting strategic insights from E. Maguire. I assume he reflects the AFL's views.

I was aware that club memberships have increased greatly since the 2016 season. I was not aware that Coll. FC now has a 50/50 split in male/female memberships.
Can anyone advise if there is a similar split with the other AFLW first entrants ie Carlton, Melbourne, Footscray, Brisbane, GWS, Adelaide & Fremantle?
And the split with the later entrants Geelong, NMFC, St Kilda, Richmond, WCFC & GC?

What is the split with the non-entrants Sydney, Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide?

I doubt any other sport in the world (excluding netball) can boast it has such a high % of female members- a triumph for AF.

Last edited:
I think the Afl really need to rebrand it because it's not what they make it out to be. I think women in sport is fantastic but unfortunately to make this out to be the same as the mens. It is definately pressure from minorities that forced the Afl to bring in this concept under the Afl brand which is a premium level. These women are not at a premium stage and it will take at least a generation to become a premium standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back