Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought my point was obvious.

You disagreed with a poster's pov, saying he needn't post here. The same applies to you, vice versa.

It's a blog. Different opinions are permitted.

Got it?
Your post wasn’t obvious. It was obscure.

I post here regularly adding to the discussion, he did not with that particular post.

It’s a forum, not a blog, that is moderated against trolls and the like. That was a poor post, left undeleted, which is probably an oversight on my behalf.

The poster , much like you, had added nothing to very little to the thread. All the poster added was another potshot to the women’s game. Not required here - plenty of other social media platforms for this kind of behaviour .

That’s the last we’ll be talking about it.

Stay safe and wash your hands

Richmond and their relationship with Puma helped them recruit some big names, but gees their list drops away quickly. Worst side the AFLW has had?

More focused on there brand so to speak than putting together a decent team.

Of there 3 gun recruits I would say 2 have been a bitter disappointment and conti has been amazing but she doesn’t have any help at all.

Take the saints for example went the route of getting players who were solid aflw players exon, McCarthy. But built extensively through there vfl team which made finals last year.

Richmond and their relationship with Puma helped them recruit some big names, but gees their list drops away quickly. Worst side the AFLW has had?
As I said in the Round 6 Discussion thread, I think they are better than Collingwood '19 or Carlton '18 (particularly after the Davey injury). Although today was very much a flashback to those teams at their worst.

Take the saints for example went the route of getting players who were solid aflw players exon, McCarthy. But built extensively through there vfl team which made finals last year.
St Kilda, like every expansion team, tried to get as many established stars as possible. They only landed one All-Australian player, McCarthy, because others (particularly of the former-Darebin persuasion) rejected offers. And Richmond also built extensively through their VFLW team which made finals last year.

As I said in the Round 6 Discussion thread, I think they are better than Collingwood '19 or Carlton '18 (particularly after the Davey injury). Although today was very much a flashback to those teams at their worst.
Collingwood lost two games by less than a kick last year. If they'd won those two games they would have made finals

Collingwood lost two games by less than a kick last year. If they'd won those two games they would have made finals

That's an interesting way of looking at things...

They won one game against the second worst performing side in the comp - they'd have made finals as the 5th or 6th best side in the league *if* they won three times as many games as they did.

Sure Richmond have been bad this year, but the quality of the competition is higher than ever before. I'd have them dead heating at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has again committed to all 14 AFLW teams in 2021 (There are doubts on the NRLW, as Sydney Roosters are withdrawing for 2020).

"AFL CEO G. McLachlan...says the League's AFLW competition is one of the few areas of massive growth & commercial opportunity in the next decade"

J. Ralph H./Sun said AFLW is a "...generational play similar to the expansion clubs that will allow the AFL to grow its support base...women accounted for 34% of total participation in 2019, with the total no. of women's teams growing 16% to 2609 sides".

E. McGuire said, re the AFLW "It has absolutely made football so much money over the last 3 years. It's going to be an absolute revolution for our game...memberships are up everywhere, Collingwood is now 50/50 with women..." (All emphases are mine).

(Go to Sports Industry Tweet 6.4. Click on Adelaide Advertiser "AFLW Here To Stay Despite AFL Cost Cutting"

I doubt there is any sport in the world (excluding netball) where club fan memberships are approx. 50% male & female- a coup for AF.
The 16% increase in jnr & female AF regd. comp. player teams is excellent.

The AFL has again committed to all 14 AFLW teams in 2021 (There are doubts on the NRLW, as Sydney Roosters are withdrawing for 2020).

"AFL CEO G. McLachlan...says the League's AFLW competition is one of the few areas of massive growth & commercial opportunity in the next decade"

J. Ralph H./Sun said AFLW is a "...generational play similar to the expansion clubs that will allow the AFL to grow its support base...women accounted for 34% of total participation in 2019, with the total no. of women's teams growing 16% to 2609 sides".

E. McGuire said, re the AFLW "It has absolutely made football so much money over the last 3 years. It's going to be an absolute revolution for our game...memberships are up everywhere, Collingwood is now 50/50 with women..." (All emphases are mine).

(Go to Sports Industry Tweet 6.4. Click on Adelaide Advertiser "AFLW Here To Stay Despite AFL Cost Cutting"

I doubt there is any sport in the world (excluding netball) where club fan memberships are approx. 50% male & female- a coup for AF.
The 16% increase in jnr & female AF regd. comp. player teams is excellent.
The women’s game will be the number one vehicle for growth especially in the Northern States.

As both AFL and Rugby codes are on their knees, I expect AFL to get up first. AFL has a massive opportunity to increase market share.

Soccer and Basketball have a massive advantage in having mixed gender clubs and AFL should be aiming for that as well.

It’s easier for parents if their kids and friends are at the same club.

The women’s game will be the number one vehicle for growth especially in the Northern States.

As both AFL and Rugby codes are on their knees, I expect AFL to get up first. AFL has a massive opportunity to increase market share.

Soccer and Basketball have a massive advantage in having mixed gender clubs and AFL should be aiming for that as well.

It’s easier for parents if their kids and friends are at the same club.
Very perceptive comments which are borne out by reality.
BBT and I have been following the Womens development in NSW for a while now and it looks promising from a low base.
Rugby Australia is not in a good place. A breakfast program in Perth this week contacted Twiggy Forrest about RA and he said would only be interested if all of Australia was in their plans.

I spend a bit of time with a number of these players and the thing that amazes me constantly is what these girls have to go through to play at this level.

• They have to fit their 'elite' training around their normal, usually, full time jobs of 40+ hours or so
  • If they get injured (11 ACLs to date) it can affect their ability to work those other jobs as well. Just try and imagine doing those jobs during the week, and many are in trades, with the injuries, bruises, stingers, muscle strain picked up from the game and training. An ACL for many is a risk of losing an apprenticeship or contract i.e. no more football and no more job and money.
  • They don't have the 100s of 1000s to take care of the bills easily or buy multiple houses. Many are struggling to put together enough money to pay the rent and have to take advantage of the club providing meals after training.
  • Many are also the primary carers for their kids. See how easy it is to fit that in with the above.
When you've seen all of what they have to deal with to play at this level, and they do so generally without complaint and with a smile on their face, the comments of the keyboard warriors expecting the women to play the same types of games as the men already is just laughable.

The least we can do is have some empathy, respect, and appreciate the herculean efforts and the grit of these women to pave the way forward for future generations who, hopefully being well paid, full time athletes who started AFL in pre-primary and kept going because of the efforts and sacrifice of these pioneers, will be able to provide high skilled, high quality AFL for our entertainment.

You just described local football in regards to what the players regular routine can involve.

You just described local football in regards to what the players regular routine can involve.
Having played Div1 local footy in one of the stronger metro and country leagues, and had some involvement with women's football at a higher level, there is a considerably higher time commitment and expectations on players in the AFLW than there is local footy - it's not the same.

Having played Div1 local footy in one of the stronger metro and country leagues, and had some involvement with women's football at a higher level, there is a considerably higher time commitment and expectations on players in the AFLW than there is local footy - it's not the same.
Don't burst his bubble.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back