Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Handballed to a player out of bounds to start it. Throw in.
Interchange infringement - 50m not paid.
Too many players on the field - I don't even know what the penalty for that is, but there must be something.

In short : we waz robbed.:mad:

:p:p:p

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
They really need of get rid of Kelly Underwood. She is a shocking commentator. Not only does she have a voice like someone gargling gravel, she calls players by the wrong names continuously, says stupid s**t like its a high scoring game when two goals have been kicked, and generally makes the viewing experience worse. :(

zucchini

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How does the proposed anti congestion rule work?
Is it like the juniors where you must stay in your position?

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
This is not meant as a shot against Moana Hope , more a general query on numbers around the game.

Last night on Sunday Night segment called Chicks Rule they had Moana and Nicole Barr from GWS . A lot was on Moana and her struggles etc. Good backstory I didn't know which was great.

I haven't followed the ins and outs of the money apart from knowing most players get $5000 a season to play. I do know there are 'marquee' players who receive more than that. I also understand Moana has a book deal.

BUT

Moana handed her mother a $50,000 cheque to buy her own home. Once again fantastic thing to do and something we all would hope to do. Without knowing her day to day expenses and needs this seems like a big chunk for someone just starting in the womens game. Or have I missed something.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Lions first Giants last

Opposite to most predictions for the men's competition

An unbeaten season even just seven games will do wonders for starcevichs coaching career

This is not meant as a shot against Moana Hope , more a general query on numbers around the game.

Last night on Sunday Night segment called Chicks Rule they had Moana and Nicole Barr from GWS . A lot was on Moana and her struggles etc. Good backstory I didn't know which was great.

I haven't followed the ins and outs of the money apart from knowing most players get $5000 a season to play. I do know there are 'marquee' players who receive more than that. I also understand Moana has a book deal.

BUT

Moana handed her mother a $50,000 cheque to buy her own home. Once again fantastic thing to do and something we all would hope to do. Without knowing her day to day expenses and needs this seems like a big chunk for someone just starting in the womens game. Or have I missed something.
The thing you're probably missing is that she's been working and saving money for years and continues to work outside footy. Semi-professional footy and sponsorship deals with Nike and other companies has probably just brought forward and accelerated the gesture.

http://au.lalalay.com/news/sport/-1...es-incredible-act-of-kindness-for-her-mother/
“For a very long time I’ve been trying to save a lot of money for [Mum],” Hope told hosts Jo Stanley and Anthony “Lehmo” Lehmann.

'I've been trying to save a lot of money for mum."

"She's done so much for us all growing up, and she's sacrificed everything, so I've done a lot to save $50,000 so she can put a deposit on a house.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...y/news-story/0a6c23114178f6a927d613989e2da6c1
Hope works at a traffic management company from 3am to 6am; sneaks in a run or gym session at 7am; wakes, showers and makes breakfast and lunch for her sister at 8am; takes client meetings and conducts other business (while Lavinia is at a school program) until 3pm; makes dinner for her sister at 4pm; trains from 6pm to 9pm; and prepares the next day’s work until 11pm.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I must say the amount of press Kate Sheahan is receiving is a bit ridiculous. She spent 30 seconds on the field before getting injured (which was terrible to see), and now we've had full stories from Fox Footy following her knee reco like she's a million dollar superstar. I was sad for her when she was injured, and i wish her the best for her recovery, but if she wasnt Mike's daughter i doubt she'd be getting the coverage she is getting.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I must say the amount of press Kate Sheahan is receiving is a bit ridiculous. She spent 30 seconds on the field before getting injured (which was terrible to see), and now we've had full stories from Fox Footy following her knee reco like she's a million dollar superstar. I was sad for her when she was injured, and i wish her the best for her recovery, but if she wasnt Mike's daughter i doubt she'd be getting the coverage she is getting.

I suspect fox are investing in her profile for commercial reasons too

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Is it really true Daisy Pearce complained about the women not receiving salaries anywhere near as high as the men?

Is the woman even aware she's riding the coat tails of a professional competition as a result of political bullying/feminist putsch that's been going on the last few years. Obviously not as she actually expects a cut of the AFL's revenue. AFL-W can at least fund itself and be grateful the AFL has set them up with such a platform they would've never received if not for political correctness combined with the AFL.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
She started to piss me off with '... the grand final should be in Melbourne.. just because...'

certainly takes after her old man in regards to respecting footy outside of Victoria

When she was commentating a game the other day with an interstate side (i think it was Dockers v Melbourne), she kept saying "we" everytime Melbourne did something.. :rolleyes:

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Attended my first AFLW match on Saturday night in Canberra. Very impressed by the crowd (6460) for two out of town teams who were 7 & 8th on the ladder (never seen so many GWS supporters). Impressed by the skills, which I think have improved even since the first couple of weeks.

Overall, impressed, think there's plenty of improvement to come and look forward to AFLW2.

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
There's two main reasons I haven't watched a game in this leauge:
- There's no Essendon
- I only realized that the first game had been played when I heard media coverage about it the next day (wasn't planning to watch it but may have had I known it was on)

Since then there's one key reason I haven't watched it. The scores are appauling. Just looked at the ladder, highest 'points for' is under 300 points. Not one team can get an average of 50 points per game? The average score in all these matches is just 33 points. It's an asolute joke.

I'm assuming (potetentially incorrectly) that these games are played in identical times and conditions to AFL matches. If the AFL was getting an average score of 40 points per team over 7 weeks, there'd be an uproar. Attendences would plummet, TV audiences would disappear, the AFL would be changing half the rules in the game to get scoring up. The only reason that the women's leauge is getting away with this is because its the Women's leauge's first season.

I'm hoping that next season people don't show up to the games if they continue to have such hapless scores, because it will force the AFLW to do somthing to increase scores. If they can't get the scores up, with the novelty value of the leauge gone, I can't see it lasting very long before TV networks refuse to cover consistant aggerate 60 point matches and people stop going to the games.

It's not going to bode well if the Grand Final has an aggerate of around the average 66 points, while the AFL round 1 games get average aggregates of 200 points like we saw last night.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
you're an idiot

the video is an advert

the women have been playing 15 min quarters with time off only after goals - so throw ins/ball ups the time has kept ticking
they are basically playing for half the length of time the men play

if you're not interested in women's footy, that's fine, but do some research before posting here half-cocked and ignorant - there's been enough of your type posting crap all summer

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
give the girls a chance-

they are in the first year of their competition and nowhere near a fully professional operation yet and most of them have not had a fair dinkum pre season. as well as a mix of players from other sports and geographical locations. the teams had not played together as a unit before this season.

they have not got the same physical characteristics of AFL players so the game will never be the same type of spectacle and IMO it is unfair to compare. they show just as much desire, hunger and bravery for the contest though as their male counterparts, the skill level is obviously nowhere near that of Bontempelli, Hogan, Fyfe, Dangerfield etc. but you wouldn't expect it to be.

given 3-5 years to gain traction i am sure that AFLW competition will improve significantly and get a similar type of support as say the netball.

Back