Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Women playing, some representing Sth Melb., at Lakeside Oval in 1947, in front of a good crowd. Probably, the sole surviving, earliest, moving footage of a women's game.

AF has always attracted the highest % of female spectators, of any football code, in the world. What might have happened, if we, previously, had enlightened administrators?

From 2 min. mark to 4 min. mark, Debbie Lee & Sam Lane discuss the strong prejudice that existed, sadly, against females playing AF until recent years.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Women playing, some representing Sth Melb., at Lakeside Oval in 1947, in front of a good crowd. Probably, the sole surviving, earliest, moving footage of a women's game.

AF has always attracted the highest % of female spectators, of any football code, in the world. What might have happened, if we, previously, had enlightened administrators?

From 2 min. mark to 4 min. mark, Debbie Lee & Sam Lane discuss the strong prejudice that existed, sadly, against females playing AF until recent years.

Enjoy.

Every football code has similar stories, BBT

zucchini

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bzzzzzzz. Wrong answer.

Before the AFLW began, the VFLW Grand Final of 2016 between Darebin and Melbourne Uni drew 4,000 paying customers (at $10 a head).

Last 2 VFLW Grand Finals roughly avg 7000 paying customers (at $20 a head).

Public will pay. In fact, most are surprised the AFL aren't at least doing gold coin donations for charitable causes.
Bzzzzzzz.

What was the average H&A attendance and how much was entry?

Melbourne will also play one AFLW game in Alice Springs for the next four years and endeavour to create VFL and VFLW opportunities for Northern Territory footballers.

I thought this worked well in 2018, even though some people used it as a chance to take potshots, and was sorry to see it not replicated for the 2019 season. Ideally play there against a rotation of big Vic clubs (or even small ones, I'm not exactly dying to go back to Casey Fields) so as to maintain some sort of home ground edge over the opposition while maximising interest.

No official word yet on what's going to happen with the Crows' Darwin game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
I know the AFLPA was meeting with at least one of the clubs on Friday afternoon.

A player who spoke to me about the situation - and to be clear her view, and not fully respresentative of other no voters - mentioned in previous chats with the AFLPA, it felt like they were being spoken down to, and that really p***ed her (and probably some others) off.

I think there will be a resolution, and by extension a fixture, but will take a couple of weeks of talks.

I know the AFLPA was meeting with at least one of the clubs on Friday afternoon.

A player who spoke to me about the situation - and to be clear her view, and not fully respresentative of other no voters - mentioned in previous chats with the AFLPA, it felt like they were being spoken down to, and that really p***ed her (and probably some others) off.

I think there will be a resolution, and by extension a fixture, but will take a couple of weeks of talks.
Thanks for the update CrowdedHouse

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Wouldnt suprise me if they are being patronising gits.

The AFL Commission should send Simone Wilkie down to oversee the process. Shes not going to take crap from any side in the process - and she wont be intimidated by the AFLPA. (Thats Major General Simone Wilkie - Shes the highest ranked woman in the Australian Army and served in Iraq and Afghanistan). But then she probably doesnt have time either, but is probably the best person on the commission to sort this out.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
8 rounds: so all teams play everyone in their conference once, and in the other conference twice.
I hope the AFLW put a bit more effort into who is in the conferences for this upcoming year than last year, so that both are of approximately the same strength.
I would have each conference having 2 of the new expansion teams, and 1 of the first expansion teams. Also spread the conferences out geographically so that neither conference has an unequal load of travelling.

Something like

Conference A
WC
Brisbane
GWS
Richmond
Geelong
Collingwood
Western Bulldogs

Conference B
Fremantle
GC
Adelaide
St.Kilda
North Melbourne
Carlton
Melbourne

I would also give the teams that travel more (WA and Qld teams) 4 home games, one derby and only three interstate games. This would be easy to work out: 3 H, 3A within the conference: derby and home game in cross conference games.
GWS and Adelaide would get 4 home and 4 interstate games.
The Victorian teams would each have to travel interstate 2 or 3 times, depending who plays an interstate cross conference team.

The finals are to be three weeks long for the first time.
I would prefer that 6 teams qualify for finals (not 8 out of 14)
Give the top team in each conference a bye, so that there are two games in each of the first two weeks. Play finals across conferences so the likelihood that more teams get to play eachother over the course of the whole season.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
8 rounds: so all teams play everyone in their conference once, and in the other conference twice.
I hope the AFLW put a bit more effort into who is in the conferences for this upcoming year than last year, so that both are of approximately the same strength.
I would have each conference having 2 of the new expansion teams, and 1 of the first expansion teams. Also spread the conferences out geographically so that neither conference has an unequal load of travelling.
They did exactly this last year. Teams 1,3,5,7 in conferance A with North Melbourne, and the rest in conference B.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back