Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This magazine looks great- unfortunately, it is not available in NSW, WA or Tasmania, disappointing.

Can someone post its more interesting articles here?
Sometimes the local newspaper in Hobart will offer these publications a few days later (Sunday). With 2 WA AFLW teams it is insane not to have it available.

1. The Age J.Pierik 10.1.20

Collingwood's AFLW player S. Layton is very confidently predicting the 2020 AFLW will have an average higher standard than 2019- based on her observations of Coll. FC. AFLW team's improved standard in pre-season training etc., & the improved standard of the 2019 VFLW matches.

Virtually all AFLW experts agreed that there has been an improvement in average skill levels every year since the AFLW started in 2017. Adding 4 new teams in 2020, however, has caused a concern that this improvement may not continue- c. 100 new players will be added to the AFLW (but current AFLW players have become more skilled!).

IMO, c. 70%+ of previous AFLW games were of a good standard (relative to the actual AF experience of the players), & a good or great fan spectacle.

About 15% were just average or OK.

About 15% were uninspiring or poor.

Unfortunately for the AFLW, IMO, it has been "cursed"- some of the high profile, evening FTA games were overrepresented in the poor category.
The AFLW's image hasn't recovered (decline in average ratings) from the 2018, much hyped. Coll. v. Carlton season opener: an embarassing a goal-less half, played in good conditions &, rightfully, received a tirade of criticism.

As the players become more skilful, the fan entertainment value of AFLW games will certainly rise, as will its ratings & crowds (the latter already 2nd in the world- for female sand-alone, non-international team sport). Their skills will compare very closely to men (but won't kick as far), if all AFLW players become full time (& they play from the age of 5 y.o., & have similar elite jnr pathways to male AF players).

2. Melb. SEN Radio N. Negrepontis AFLW podcast Dec. 2019

AFAIK, this topic hasn't been discussed on BF before-all AFLW players & teams were recently rated by experts, to determine that the 2020 Conferences are as even as possible.

Taking responsability for a crap effort in putting together the conferences last year is a good start, but even a quick glance at the history of the GCS guys team shows that talent doesn’t automatically translate to team
preformance.
IMO
Getting more money into the vflw and other second tier leagues will keep the girls playing and clubs pushing it and those leagues playing 15 games and then finals will help create better teams than this sort’ve sudden death format of playing in the aflw

Monique Conti has just been released from her Boomers contract so she will be available for the whole AFLW season.

Given the money involved in women's basketball in the US now, stepping away from it is a big call.

It's a vote of confidence in the league, and I suspect in whatever deal the Tigers put in front of her, given side jobs and the like are OK in AFLW.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Mon Conti didn't make the 27 player Opals squad selected recently. The chances of her getting picked up by a WNBA team were slim to none. I think she saw the writing on the wall and made the right decision.

Monique Conti has just been released from her Boomers contract so she will be available for the whole AFLW season.

Given the money involved in women's basketball in the US now, stepping away from it is a big call.

It's a vote of confidence in the league, and I suspect in whatever deal the Tigers put in front of her, given side jobs and the like are OK in AFLW.

Who was she playing for in the US? (or wasnt and never was going to earn big $$$ and has nothing to do with her walking away from WNBL?)

Who was she playing for in the US? (or wasnt and never was going to earn big $$$ and has nothing to do with her walking away from WNBL?)
It isnt an either/or as you posited.

If your talented enough, and seek a career in basketball, then the US is the goal, and the pay on offer is significant. Given she was the point guard in the U16 Australian team that gave the US a bit of a thumping on the way to winning the world title several years ago, she is good enough, and definitely on the radar of WNBA teams. Its true, she may never have made it, but she is walking away from the prospect of making it, when making it was possible.

This is something she would have thought long and hard over.

I doubt its that she just decided she liked footy more, although that may be true. She is balancing what may be on offer in basketball verse what is on offer with footy.

If I were Richmond, i would have been thinking long and hard about what Mon Conti wanted in life, and how they could make it happen, in order to keep her.

Its a bit of a laugh all the moaning about how little AFLW players get from footy, because there are quite a few sitting on nice little earners through footy.

Mon Conti didn't make the 27 player Opals squad selected recently. The chances of her getting picked up by a WNBA team were slim to none. I think she saw the writing on the wall and made the right decision.
Slim to none now, because she is still young for a WNBA draftee, especially for one her height. An junior Australian team mate of hers has been picked up, but being 194 cm may have something to do with that. One of Australias other hottest young players was picked up last year, and she was 22. Conti would need to spend a couple of years as a teams number 1 guard to be seriously considered, or go and play college ball.

She was not a prospect for a good few years, but she was a prospect.

The issue for her is, Richmond is right now.

BHP will provide $5m sponsorship for the AFLW, for 3 years.
This sum is exclusively for the benefit of the AFLW- to enable all 14 AFLW clubs to have a dedicated player development & career manager (whose services are only for the Clubs' female players).

Great boost for the AFLW, & their players.

This sum is exclusively for the benefit of the AFLW- to enable all 14 AFLW clubs to have a dedicated player development & career manager (whose services are only for the Clubs' female players).

Services only for the female players....why?

Surely such a staff member would be better off as part of the team of people all clubs have for that sort of thing, and given the different specialties such people tend to have, then having staff member A spend 50% of his time on women, B does 30% of her time, and C does 20% of his time would be a far better deal for the players.

How do you ensure the female players get their share? Well, they probably record how long they spend on each player anyway, but more importantly, in a comp that already sees a lot of player movement, clubs that fell short would run into issues with retention of talented players.

$5 mill for 3 years is a decent sponsorship package.

Services only for the female players....why?

Surely such a staff member would be better off as part of the team of people all clubs have for that sort of thing, and given the different specialties such people tend to have, then having staff member A spend 50% of his time on women, B does 30% of her time, and C does 20% of his time would be a far better deal for the players.

How do you ensure the female players get their share? Well, they probably record how long they spend on each player anyway, but more importantly, in a comp that already sees a lot of player movement, clubs that fell short would run into issues with retention of talented players.
Because clubs have lots of resources dedicated to the men, a fair amount of resources shared, but not a lot dedicated to the women?

Also, if BHP sees value in sponsoring the AFLW for $5 mill, then they will want to do that.

If they wanted to sponsor the AFL for $2.5 mill and the AFLW for $2.5 mill, that's the deal they would have done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because clubs have lots of resources dedicated to the men, a fair amount of resources shared, but not a lot dedicated to the women?

Also, if BHP sees value in sponsoring the AFLW for $5 mill, then they will want to do that.

If they wanted to sponsor the AFL for $2.5 mill and the AFLW for $2.5 mill, that's the deal they would have done.

I'd say most clubs are trying to ensure as much as possible is shared. It's simply the more effective solution.

Dedicated resources might sound good on a press release, but in practice, not so much.

It isnt an either/or as you posited.

If your talented enough, and seek a career in basketball, then the US is the goal, and the pay on offer is significant. Given she was the point guard in the U16 Australian team that gave the US a bit of a thumping on the way to winning the world title several years ago, she is good enough, and definitely on the radar of WNBA teams. Its true, she may never have made it, but she is walking away from the prospect of making it, when making it was possible.

This is something she would have thought long and hard over.

I doubt its that she just decided she liked footy more, although that may be true. She is balancing what may be on offer in basketball verse what is on offer with footy.

If I were Richmond, i would have been thinking long and hard about what Mon Conti wanted in life, and how they could make it happen, in order to keep her.

Its a bit of a laugh all the moaning about how little AFLW players get from footy, because there are quite a few sitting on nice little earners through footy.
So not a big call to step away from basketball if you know you won't get anywhere from it........opposite to what you said.

Carry on

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

I'd say most clubs are trying to ensure as much as possible is shared. It's simply the more effective solution.

Dedicated resources might sound good on a press release, but in practice, not so much.
Resources at the discretion of the club, Yes. But if a sponsor says, we really want to be associated with the AFLW, here is some cash, they arent going to be happy to find that half of it (probably much more than half), is going to the already very well resourced men.

Also, I think putting money for the AFLW into resources the men can use, will count to the soft cap. Shared resources counting to the soft cap means there is less dedicated resources they can spend in that area, I doubt they want that. I am pretty sure I recall this being raised as a concern a few years ago, could resources for the AFLW be a way around the cap?

So not a big call to step away from basketball if you know you won't get anywhere from it........opposite to what you said.

Carry on

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
As usual, Your straw manning. Doesnt that get a little tiresome? Try a real argument.

She doesn't know she will not get anything from it. She knows she may not get much from it, but there is still a possibility she gets a great deal. Most Australians that go to the WNBA go in their mid 20s, she has years before she can put a line through the WNBA as a pipe dream.

It must really burn you, the possibility someone chose AFLW over a potential professional career in an alternative sport.

Resources at the discretion of the club, Yes. But if a sponsor says, we really want to be associated with the AFLW, here is some cash, they arent going to be happy to find that half of it (probably much more than half), is going to the already very well resourced men.

Also, I think putting money for the AFLW into resources the men can use, will count to the soft cap. Shared resources counting to the soft cap means there is less dedicated resources they can spend in that area, I doubt they want that. I am pretty sure I recall this being raised as a concern a few years ago, could resources for the AFLW be a way around the cap?

Do you think the people and companies who paid tens of millions for all the mens facilities mind if they're also used by women?

As I said, if clubs treat their womens teams like crap, players will leave and their womens teams will be crap.

If a sponsor means another person is hired, and they only spend 50% of their time working as the sponsor wanted, then yeah, they'd be annoyed. But if that other 50% (or more) is made up from other resources in order to produce an even better result, it seems foolish to insist on a worse result by forcing staff to 'stick to their lane'.

Those that think the AFLW is a waste of time and a financial disaster will find a way to say it doesn't count.

I don't know for sure, but I'd say Hyundai's sponsorship of the A-league wouldn't be for much more coin per annum.
On top of that, a few of the AFLW teams already earn sponsorship revenue which exceeds the smaller A-League clubs.
Can the AFLW afford to remain free entry?
Yes, with absolute ease.

I don't know for sure, but I'd say Hyundai's sponsorship of the A-league wouldn't be for much more coin per annum.
On top of that, a few of the AFLW teams already earn sponsorship revenue which exceeds the smaller A-League clubs.
Can the AFLW afford to remain free entry?
Yes, with absolute ease.
Hyundai was about $3 mill annually (possibly more), so $9+ mill over 3 years. The A leagues problem is the deal ends 2020. ALDI has left, and that was for more (about $5 mill annually), if Hyundai leaves to, thats a huge hole, and all the issues about ratings, attendance, and does Fox try to exit the deal, means they would be doing well to keep sponsorship at current levels never mind increase it.

Slim to none now, because she is still young for a WNBA draftee, especially for one her height. An junior Australian team mate of hers has been picked up, but being 194 cm may have something to do with that. One of Australias other hottest young players was picked up last year, and she was 22. Conti would need to spend a couple of years as a teams number 1 guard to be seriously considered, or go and play college ball.

She was not a prospect for a good few years, but she was a prospect.

The issue for her is, Richmond is right now.
The highest paid WNBA players earn less than $120 k USD for a 36 game season plus finals. If you average it out per game Mon would probably earn more per game playing footy and even if she did get drafted the average WNBA wage is around $71K USD.

It wasn't WNBA, it was getting a college scholarship that was her motivation.

The resources and benefits of some of the best women's basketball colleges in the US are up there with the WNBA, and possibly following a similar path to someone like Alanna Smith.

The highest paid WNBA players earn less than $120 k USD for a 36 game season plus finals. If you average it out per game Mon would probably earn more per game playing footy and even if she did get drafted the average WNBA wage is around $71K USD.
Thats the current deal which is ending. The new deal will see the average player get $130k, and top players can push $600k.

As usual, Your straw manning. Doesnt that get a little tiresome? Try a real argument.

She doesn't know she will not get anything from it. She knows she may not get much from it, but there is still a possibility she gets a great deal. Most Australians that go to the WNBA go in their mid 20s, she has years before she can put a line through the WNBA as a pipe dream.

It must really burn you, the possibility someone chose AFLW over a potential professional career in an alternative sport.

Quite the opposite, good on her and good for the league.

I just laugh at those (you) who say she gave up a big money to go to the AFLW, all hail the AFLW.

She's an average basketballer, knows it and has given AFL a try where she is more likely to get a career out of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back