Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane Cornes is calling for AFLW to be sacked all because of assistant coaches in the AFL being stood down highlighted by his brother.
He didn't say that at all.
He merely responded to Robbo's point that AFLW should be untouchable by saying no, everything should take some cuts as they are all in this together.

Robbo was dog whistling, he doesn't give a s**t about AFLW!

He didn't say that at all.
He merely responded to Robbo's point that AFLW should be untouchable by saying no, everything should take some cuts as they are all in this together.

Robbo was dog whistling, he doesn't give a s**t about AFLW!
In principle yes, but in fact, no.
AFLW was already shut down for most of Covid. Players dont get paid out of season, so cutting 50% of a monthly salary of $0 saves you how much?
They have small coaching staffs compared to men, and most, possibly all of them are part time. They wouldnt be working at this time anyway, so again, in principle, you could cut, but 50% of $0 is still $0.
They already play a season that is less than a full 1 game per team fixture, there is no way to reduce it to an extent that is meaningful.
Some staff and players have positions with the club proper, but those positions went under the microscope like everybody elses.
Lots of the facilities and staff that the AFLW enjoys are the same as the AFL. Medical, psychological, mentoring etc. So cuts in this area for the men equate to cuts for the women as well.

So while in principle, I do agree cuts must fall everywhere, in fact, I agree with Robbo.

There is no meaningful way of making savings in the womens game alone, without virtually destroying the comp. And they arent going to destroy the comp, so there you are.

In principle yes, but in fact, no.
AFLW was already shut down for most of Covid. Players dont get paid out of season, so cutting 50% of a monthly salary of $0 saves you how much?
They have small coaching staffs compared to men, and most, possibly all of them are part time. They wouldnt be working at this time anyway, so again, in principle, you could cut, but 50% of $0 is still $0.
They already play a season that is less than a full 1 game per team fixture, there is no way to reduce it to an extent that is meaningful.
Some staff and players have positions with the club proper, but those positions went under the microscope like everybody elses.
Lots of the facilities and staff that the AFLW enjoys are the same as the AFL. Medical, psychological, mentoring etc. So cuts in this area for the men equate to cuts for the women as well.

So while in principle, I do agree cuts must fall everywhere, in fact, I agree with Robbo.

There is no meaningful way of making savings in the womens game alone, without virtually destroying the comp. And they arent going to destroy the comp, so there you are.

Robbo is dog whistling.
Cornes has called him out on that, he didn't attack AFLW at all.

Look at what was said.

And if the Eagles are as foolish as the idiot running the Tigers, they're about to sack Luke Dwyer rather than focusing on how to bring in another established midfielder.

I don’t rate Dwyer at all but if the eagles need anything, they need a forward that can actually take a mark and kick goals.

Robbo is dog whistling.
Cornes has called him out on that, he didn't attack AFLW at all.

Look at what was said.

It's incredible how people don't listen to what people say. Cornes simply pointed out all parts of footy and all sports will have to take some cuts. Was very clear.

I don’t rate Dwyer at all but if the eagles need anything, they need a forward that can actually take a mark and kick goals.
Might've helped in the Gold Coast match, otherwise asking too much of any forward in a team that is producing one-third less I50s.

Reality is the Tigers (who have 4xAA forward selections + a VFLW leading goal-kicker) and the Eagles this year were last and second-last for average disposals, and not by a small margin.

The sure-fire path to improvement for AFLW teams across four seasons has always been increased possession, even for a supposedly low-touch team like Fremantle in 2020: 168 dpg for the first four weeks, 215 dpg for the next three and it clearly 'coincided' with them playing much better football.

Some people don't have the ability to read beyond a headline.
That issue is becoming more an more common across society not just football.

Cuts can be made in AFLW that could actually improve it. There is a real opportunity for greater integration between the men's and women's teams, so shared resources and coaching staff could massively help AFLW. Using the development coaches in the men's game to increase their workload and do the women will firstly help justify their position, but mean the women get better development coaches.

People need to look at potential benefits, becuase if you just look at the negatives then you start mounting an argument to fold the AFLW becuase it is running at a massive loss.

Might've helped in the Gold Coast match, otherwise asking too much of any forward in a team that is producing one-third less I50s.

Reality is the Tigers (who have 4xAA forward selections + a VFLW leading goal-kicker) and the Eagles this year were last and second-last for average disposals, and not by a small margin.

The sure-fire path to improvement for AFLW teams across four seasons has always been increased possession, even for a supposedly low-touch team like Fremantle in 2020: 168 dpg for the first four weeks, 215 dpg for the next three and it clearly 'coincided' with them playing much better football.

Midfields run out of gas pretty quickly and your I50’s dry up pretty fast when they kick it into the forward 50 and watch it come straight back out all day like it did with WCE. The stupid thing is they had a leading tall forward on the list who was brought in as an injury replacement for Janz, but wasn’t allowed to play due to an obscure AFLw rule.
Funnily enough, North were allowed to play their replacement player due to the fact that the player she was replacing got pregnant, and not injured which is ridiculous. If you’re allowed to put an injury replacement player on the list, you should be able to select them.

Midfields run out of gas pretty quickly and your I50’s dry up pretty fast when they kick it into the forward 50 and watch it come straight back out all day like it did with WCE. The stupid thing is they had a leading tall forward on the list who was brought in as an injury replacement for Janz, but wasn’t allowed to play due to an obscure AFLw rule.
Funnily enough, North were allowed to play their replacement player due to the fact that the player she was replacing got pregnant, and not injured which is ridiculous. If you’re allowed to put an injury replacement player on the list, you should be able to select them.

Wouldn't the more stupid thing be that West Coast didn't add the player they needed for their forward-line to the actual list in the first place? Sure, the rule sounds dumb, but if Janz didn't get injured they still wouldn't have had a KPF.

Yeah that's quite a diversion. Every team had players go down with knee injuries, none of them could be automatically replaced. A couple of teams should have been given exemptions for other player availability issues, but West Coast wasn't one.

On the other point: Good midfields don't run out of gas. That's why Melbourne and Collingwood were able to remain competitive despite ineffective forward-lines. Midfields that rely on one or two players (such as Rich, WC and Adel in 2020)... get smashed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that's quite a diversion. Every team had players go down with knee injuries, none of them could be automatically replaced. A couple of teams should have been given exemptions for other player availability issues, but West Coast wasn't one.

On the other point: Good midfields don't run out of gas. That's why Melbourne and Collingwood were able to remain competitive despite ineffective forward-lines. Midfields that rely on one or two players (such as Rich, WC and Adel in 2020)... get smashed.
Gonna have to agree to disagree I’m sorry.

Wouldn't the more stupid thing be that West Coast didn't add the player they needed for their forward-line to the actual list in the first place? Sure, the rule sounds dumb, but if Janz didn't get injured they still wouldn't have had a KPF.

Yes it was a major oversight to not pick that forward up in the first place I agree.

when’s the delistings?

also no trades this year? This time last year from memory we already had plenty of movement

Everything is on freeze at the moment.

Spoke to a coaching staff member at one AFLW club, and they've said they know who they want to de-list and who to retain, but can't do anything without the green light from the AFL.

Likewise, state league clubs are wanting to sign these de-listed players, but can't do anything until the AFL unfreezes things.

News from the past week goes a little something like this:

I reckon the next expansion will only be two. I'm not sure Port are interested and the Swans required facilities may not be ready.
Everything I've read in the last two years explicitly states Port Adelaide want a team. I'm willing to bet the facilities in Sydney will be ready before the talent pool is big enough for two NSW teams to compete respectably.

VFLW players will also get to show their talents in a four-team 'super series' to be staged in September this year.

The round of matches will allow players in the competition to press their claims to be picked in the 2020 NAB AFLW Draft which will be held later this season.

The VFLW super series will see each team play three matches before an All-Star clash is held, which will see the best players from across the series selected.

With 10 of the 12 VFLW clubs tied to AFL clubs, the League had to find another way to get its season up and going following the coronavirus-enforced suspension earlier this year.

AFL Victoria will in coming weeks work through the selection process for its VFLW super series, which will see 120 of the competition's best players take the field.

"While we would prefer to provide a standard season of women’s and men’s state league football, this outcome ensures an opportunity for many players to continue their journey in the football pathway," Salter said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back