AFL Women's Grand Final should be held in the top teams State and not as an AFL mens opener.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the initial thought was it may not have gone over well and it could be ''hidden'' . But its also possible , given a snippet in the paper, that the AFL are looking to boost Crowd Numbers in the ''look at us'' stakes
It does make sense though to have the Grand Final in the spare week, b4 the mens season starts ......just would have filled that blank weekend in, or did the AFL think that blank weekend was better served by having 4 x Womens matches ???

If there wasn't another game on at the same time (Essendon v Hawthorn), it'd probably be better to play the women at night with the men's as the curtain raiser.

Sick of cricket being shafted so more than happy they get one back on the AFL

When is the next cricket match at the Gabba? The Lions pay big bucks to play there and are their co-tenant.

You'd think they would bend over backwards to please their other main tenant?

Are you angry at the AFL (for obvious other reasons?) or us, the Brisbane Lions?.....because it is the Lions that are immediately affected by this decision.

When is the next cricket match at the Gabba? The Lions pay big bucks to play there and are their co-tenant.

You'd think they would bend over backwards to please their other main tenant?

Are you angry at the AFL (for obvious other reasons?) or us, the Brisbane Lions?.....because it is the Lions that are affected by this decision.
Because I'm sick of cricket being shafted and working with a District club it annoys me. Only have to look at the Shield final being relegated to Alice Springs when the MCG is the home of cricket in Victoria. I was one of the SACA members dead against football returning to AO for this very reason. The GABBA has been the home of cricket up there for longer than I care to remember and the Ashes are far more important than a couple of of AFL games. And yes I'm saying that even though it could well affect me as I have booked flights to Brisbane for our round 2 clash and there would now have to be the possibility that is moved to Metricon also

Because I'm sick of cricket being shafted and working with a District club it annoys me. Only have to look at the Shield final being relegated to Alice Springs when the MCG is the home of cricket in Victoria. I was one of the SACA members dead against football returning to AO for this very reason. The GABBA has been the home of cricket up there for longer than I care to remember and the Ashes are far more important than a couple of of AFL games. And yes I'm saying that even though it could well affect me as I have booked flights to Brisbane for our round 2 clash and there would now have to be the possibility that is moved to Metricon also

That may well be the case in your world.....but we are talking about the Gabba. To my knowledge, there isn't a cricket match at the Gabba until November.

So they aren't getting shafted are they?.....but the Lions are.

That may well be the case in your world.....but we are talking about the Gabba. To my knowledge, there isn't a cricket match at the Gabba until November.

So they aren't getting shafted are they?.....but the Lions are.
The damage that could be done over the next couple of weeks could well affect the game in November. The Ashes are the show piece of Australian cricket and if the surface is in any danger of not being ready then all games at the GABBA must be moved until the curator is happy with it. Large parts of the center square need to be replaced and I wouldn't think anything should be played there for at least 4 weeks

Wonder how you would feel if your team had to move games, particularly if you had earned the right to play there.....oh that's right, you'd only have to move about 5mins away, and all your fans can still get there..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No problem with Metricon if the surface at the Gabba isn't up to it.

Just think it should have been played as a stand alone game on Sunday.

Ultimately, either do I, it's still in Qld, but it's the principle. Stadium Qld just don't give a rats about the Lions........we've had problems with the curator the whole time we've been there. He doesn't like AFL, so doesn't like preparing the ground for it.

..yet we pay bigtime to be there.

Our girls earned the right to play there, to showcase their game to Brisbane and the rest of Australia. They deserve better than this result.

Would've been a good time to showcase the Gabba as well I'd have thought.

..but not to be.

The Crows have been stuffed around too, they probably had flights/accommodation booked for Brisbane but will need to change all that for the GC....and that won't be easy.

Last edited:
Wonder how you would feel if your team had to move games, particularly if you had earned the right to play there.....oh that's right, you'd only have to move about 5mins away, and all your fans can still get there..
Considering I've spent nearly $1000 on flights and have already booked accommodation in Brissie that weekend we play there of course ill be pissed but there isn't much I can do about it

Ultimately, either do I, it's still in Qld, but it's the principle. Stadium Qld just don't give a rats about the Lions........we've had problems with the curator the whole time we've been there. He doesn't like AFL, so doesn't like preparing the ground for it.

..yet we pay bigtime to be there.

Our girls earned the right to play there, to showcase their game to Brisbane and the rest of Australia. They deserve better than this result.

Would've been a good time to showcase the Gabba as well I'd have thought.

..but not to be.

The Crows have been stuffed around too, they probably had flights/accommodation booked for Brisbane but will need to change all that for the GC....and that won't be easy.
Surely the Crows wouldn't have booked anything until final confirmation was given by the AFL

i hear from Leigh Mathews ,that adele concert 3 wks ago, at gabba, Adel cocnert at edihad last wk( footy this wk)
apparently the dumb idiot at the gabba sowed new grass , and its possible the lions round 2 will be moved as well
thank you Mr Mitchell ( time for retirement )

Cricket seems to have a lot of "homes" for a sport that has invested zero dollars into any of them and generally pays far less rent than the other tenant at its "homes" to boot

How is the sheffield shield getting shafted for not playing at a ground it has no justifiable basis to in the first instance? There'll be over 200,000 people at the 3 MCG games this week FFS!

My understanding is that only some of the pitches were damaged so the ashes test was never at risk anyway.

The damage that could be done over the next couple of weeks could well affect the game in November. The Ashes are the show piece of Australian cricket and if the surface is in any danger of not being ready then all games at the GABBA must be moved until the curator is happy with it. Large parts of the center square need to be replaced and I wouldn't think anything should be played there for at least 4 weeks

....and CA can compensate the Lions for millions and drop in pitches will be used in future

Adelaide Oval curators are excellent though, as opposed to the 'GABBA flogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back