AFL Women's League

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Women's Competition: What we know and what we're about to find out
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-womens-competition-what-we-know-and-what-were-about-to-find-out-20160614-

Which clubs want a women's team?

Collingwood, Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Fremantle, Melbourne, Geelong, Greater Western Sydney, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs have all applied for women's teams in 2017.

How many teams will there be?

The AFL is expected to announce eight women's teams for the inaugural season. It is thought likely that four will be Victorian, with one each from Queensland, NSW, WA and SA.

How much will the women get paid?

The AFL, not the clubs, will pay the women players, with the best performers expected to earn about $25,000 and the next tier footballers $10,000.

What are the rules?

The AFL is this year using a series of games between state sides to trial modified rules for the women's game.

Under the "last touch" rule, umpires pay a free kick against the last player to touch the ball before it goes out of bounds.

This is a littlelike the amped-up deliberate out-of-bounds rule in the men's game. But under the trail women's rules, any player who handpasses or kicks the ball over the boundary line without it being touched gives away a free kick – whether or not they did so deliberately.

Two players must stay in their forward 50 at all times and each quarter lasts exactly 20 minutes, with no time-on.

When does it start?

The AFL plans a two-month season with seven home-and-away rounds plus finals to run in February and March.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...o-find-out-20160614-gpj0wu.html#ixzz4Bb5zqdRG

Women's league teams to be named on Wednesday
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-15/womens-league-teams-to-be-named-on-wednesday

Here's a snapshot of what the biddings clubs outlined in their proposals:

• Adelaide's bid centered on an "exciting" and "well-supported" approach to women's football, creating pathways for those who aspire to play at the highest level.
  • The Brisbane Lions outlined their suitability for a team by illustrating how their existing facilities could be used to "make dreams come true" for female "superstars".
  • Carlton vowed to take "a genuine" approach to its women's team, arguing it had existing facilities and the right coaching staff to support female players.
  • Collingwood's proposal was built on its vision of being Australia's biggest and most inclusive sporting club. The Magpies would use their $25 million state-of-the-art facilities to support a women's team.
  • Fremantle lodged a "compelling and unique" case, proposing that Curtin University and the City of Cockburn would be the club's major partners. The Dockers said players could be offered either a job with the club or education and scholarship opportunities via Curtin.
  • Geelong's said its bid was aligned to the club's values of "respect for diversity, respect for women and, in particular, allowing women and people to be the best they can possibly be".
  • Greater Western Sydney wanted a women's team to "break down barriers" and grow participation from grassroots to the elite level.
  • Melbourne focused on "opening up its elite facilities" in preparation for a women's team.
  • North Melbourne argued it understood the women's football landscape, pointing to its "existing and robust model for women's football" and its long-term partnership with Melbourne University's women's team.
  • Richmond said its campaign was driven by "its authentic and long-term commitment to gender equity, and the establishment of a culture that would allow a women's team to thrive".
  • St Kilda, the first club to appoint a female assistant coach, said its bid was based on creating an "integrated high-performance network of three teams".
  • West Coast's vision was to field "a sustainable, professional, and premiership-winning" team to grow women's football in Western Australia.
  • The Western Bulldogs argued they would take "a genuine high-performance approach" to women's football to inspire young female players.

I like the Freo partnership with Curtin Uni - I've always imagined that would be a good model for a women's league, especially in the early years.

I note that North also had a partnership with the Melb Uni womens team, although Carlton would be just as a good a fit, seeing the proximity of Princes Park to the main Uni oval.

Carlton, Collingwood one of eight clubs to win women’s team licences for 2017 AFL competition

TRADTIONAL powerhouses Carlton and Collingwood have been awarded licences in the new AFL women’s league, along with Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the other four interstate clubs to win teams are Fremantle, Brisbane, GWS and Adelaide.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/car...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Lock it in Eddie.

I almost got it right, I just went with North instead of Carlton.

The Age and Fox Footy both reported at 10am (mean they have been prepped by the AFL) that the winners are Bris/Ade/Freo/GWS/Mel/Dogs/Pies/Blues

AFL proves again it's all about the $$$$$$$$$

The worst thing you could do give an already powerful team an entrenched position in the the new league, what going to happen when they add more Vic teams? They already given Collingwood a massive head start on any of the other sides, they've stuffed the equality of the league up right form the start. and Carlton, seriously??? AFL go home you're drunk.

Disappointed we got a team. We should pay off the debts we have now rather than incur more debt with another mickey mouse venture like the failed Carton FC soccer club was.

AFL is picking up the tab for the team costs, and the facilities for the team already exists. This doesnt cost us anything.
Then why choose Carlton and Collingwood, if AFL is picking up the costs then why further entrench the big clubs?

That just makes it a bigger farce.

Then why choose Carlton and Collingwood, if AFL is picking up the costs then why further entrench the big clubs?

That just makes it a bigger farce.
Yet again, it is nothing about what the women's team brings to the club, it is about what the club brings. No club going with the 'we are small, this helps us grow' argument was going to get a look in.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Had a guess 10 weeks back
Not heard what the 8 teams are but I guess it will be West Coast, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney, Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne and Footscray.
Just hope the Doggies and Dees get a team based on fact they are only two clubs that already ran some games before so deserve that right to have one each.
Good to see Doggies and Dees got rewarded for being the catalysts for all this happening at club levels.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...augural-eightteam-season-20160614-gpj7yv.html

Geelong and Richmond have missed out on inaugural AFL women's team licences, while Collingwood and Carlton are understood to be celebrating their successful bids in an eight-team competition.
I almost got it right, I just went with North instead of Carlton.

The Age and Fox Footy both reported at 10am (mean they have been prepped by the AFL) that the winners are Bris/Ade/Freo/GWS/Mel/Dogs/Pies/Blues

Did better than me. I got two wrong.

So I guessed Eagles rather than Fremantle and Sydney rather than GWS.
Actually glad I was wrong on both fronts.
Think a team from WA with an identity of well known town of Fremantle is better choice than a name of West Coast that is vague. However thought the bigger brother club over there may get preference.
GWS Giants is a good choice for NSW clubs. Will help foster the whole new club there in general for men and women grow.

Sounds like the concept of two month tournament nestled between Big Bash and AFL season starting is a good niche idea to get it some media airplay.

Happy for the girls that like to play football and have a real passion for it have something to aim for as realistic elite goal for them in sport.
One of better things I seen the AFL do in a two decades for the game in general as a sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very excited by this. Congrats also to the Dogs and Dees, your leadership in this area has been outstanding.

I'm relieved the Pies are involved first year, probably more on the basis of our 'might' rather than innovation or leadership. But I'll take that and am looking forward to the games kicking off in February.

Had a guess 10 weeks back
Good to see Doggies and Dees got rewarded for being the catalysts for all this happening at club levels.

Did better than me. I got two wrong.

So I guessed Eagles rather than Fremantle and Sydney rather than GWS.
Actually glad I was wrong on both fronts.
Think a team from WA with an identity of well known town of Fremantle is better choice than a name of West Coast that is vague. However thought the bigger brother club over there may get preference.
GWS Giants is a good choice for NSW clubs. Will help foster the whole new club there in general for men and women grow.

Sounds like the concept of two month tournament nestled between Big Bash and AFL season starting is a good niche idea to get it some media airplay.

Happy for the girls that like to play football and have a real passion for it have something to aim for as realistic elite goal for them in sport.
One of better things I seen the AFL do in a two decades for the game in general as a sport.

The Dockers only got the bid because their new facilities were ahead of the Eagles and the bit about Curtin Uni is side issue stuff.
I can tell you publicly the Eagles wont say much but underneath will not be happy with this - But they do have their hands full getting their new $ 70 million development up and running, which will include "two clubs" not just one. The other club being WAFL Perth Demons who will get brand new facilities as well. Like everything else in Perth the Eagles do it bigger and better than that mob down the road who are trophyless.

Fremantle are currently paying $5 to win the comp next year. That is a deadset bargain, they should be better than evens.

That the bookies have Adelaide and GWS ahead of Brisbane is a clear indication that they don't have a clue about women's footy. A Freo-Brisbane GF wouldn't be a bad bet at all.

Thought I would bump this thread so we can have a look at the reality verse the predictions and preferences.

First issue, aligned with AFL clubs, or independent stand alone womens league?

I think the sponsorship's announced so far and the hype among female players puts this one to bed. The list of sponsorship's, including NAB as naming rights sponsor for approx $2.5 M, Holden sponsoring Collingwoods womens team to $1.5 M, and the 14 other sponsors already lined up doesn't happen without it being the AFL, and AFL clubs. Without the AFL, they get sponsored by the local pizza place, and a handful of Bunnings vouchers. The surge in players coming on the scene doesn't happen without it being a comp made up of clubs female footy fans have followed their entire lives. Erin Phillips doesn't come back to play for the outer woop woop womens team in the Womens independent national league. Young girls who love footy dream of being in the AFL, just like the boys do.

Without the AFL, the national womens league takes an extra decade, and is a fraction as good.

Second issue, the whole league will be a financial disaster that will be quietly wound up within 5 years.

Again, this can be put to bed already. Holden and NAB between them already contributed $4 M. The AFL has an apparel sponsor lined up, with details still to be announced. Most clubs have a handful of sponsors committed already, and they do not have teams yet. There is nothing yet from broadcasters, and they will put something in, if just for the pr value, even if it is just contra.

I think we can very conservatively estimate an average sponsorship income per club of maybe $500K, and the AFL could pull in $4 - $6 M realistically. Thats a realistic achievable income across the league of $8 to $10 M. Could the AFL end up in the embarrassing position of limiting player payments out of financial prudence, then end up with a profit?

Third issue, No one will care, no one will watch

Still a hard one to get a handle on, but one thing is clear, more will watch than the naysayers predicted. People dismissed the ratings for the womens game this year because, there was a curiosity factor, and it wasn't competing against the mens game. If you had said 5 years ago that there were enough people curious about womens footy to tune into a game in the numbers they did, you would have been laughed at. Also, curiosity is interest, curiosity is caring. You grow a product like this by first getting people curious.
Saying it wasnt competing against the mens game and therefore had a clear shot as a criticism is just strange, they are not going to put womens games up head to head with mens games, ever.

Fourth issue, The quality isn't there, they are no better than amateur mens teams

Quality is less, no doubt about it, but this criticism is also a moving feast. The first years of womens football were laughed at as being complete rubbish (they were rubbish), and proof that women couldn't play. That the games were played by people that never played junior footy, sometimes didn't take up senior footy until in their thirties, had inexperienced coaches and s**t facilities, were never given as reasons for the poor standard, just that they were women.
Strangely, despite the fact they stayed female, the standard got better. As the pace of change has increased the speed with which it will get better will increase. At some point the AFL were going to say, the standard is good enough to try. Is it good enough to escape criticism, no. It will be criticised, some of the criticism will be justified. They will make mistakes in selection, and pick players who turn out not to be up for a higher level. The fact that they are going to get a few months to do a pre season, and work on a game plan from scratch is going to show up in game play.

If you judge the womens game by their ability to compete one on one with Buddy, or kick a goal from the centre square like Hurn, then you are never going to think the standard is there, and the league probably isn't for you. If you think a few months pre season should get them as organised and slick as a mens team years in the making, then it probably isn't for you.

Fifth issue, They are whinging about pay, when better male players get nothing.

Unless you think a few commentators define an entire gender, then no, they are not whinging, actual players have said almost nothing about pay.

Male players have always had a pathway to getting paid to play, they just had to get good enough that people wanted to pay them. Get in the top 0.001%, they get paid a lot. If they are not paid, they are not good enough to be paid, simples.

If a women is a good enough footballer that someone wants to pay her to play for them, then she deserves and has earnt the right to be paid, also simples. In the logic of the critics, the mens comp generates the cash, and therefore the men deserve their pay, and the women who generate nothing deserve nothing. Then if the womens comp generates $10 M, the female player playing in that comp deserve a share of that $10 M, and the male player playing in an amateur league that generates nothing, deserves nothing.

Anyway, exited for the draw in a couple of days, bet there is a few women having trouble sleeping this week

The Dockers only got the bid because their new facilities were ahead of the Eagles and the bit about Curtin Uni is side issue stuff.
I can tell you publicly the Eagles wont say much but underneath will not be happy with this - But they do have their hands full getting their new $ 70 million development up and running, which will include "two clubs" not just one. The other club being WAFL Perth Demons who will get brand new facilities as well. Like everything else in Perth the Eagles do it bigger and better than that mob down the road who are trophyless.
The reason we got the women's was a 200 page report outlining the partnership with Curtin university and the city of coburn. Each woman has the opportunity for employment with the city and scholarship with Curtin.Plus Freo has been supporting Women's football for years.

The eagles gave the reason that because west coast has been a successful (own the west attitude) that should be in the comp.

Fremantle are currently paying $5 to win the comp next year. That is a deadset bargain, they should be better than evens.

That the bookies have Adelaide and GWS ahead of Brisbane is a clear indication that they don't have a clue about women's footy. A Freo-Brisbane GF wouldn't be a bad bet at all.
I'm not a betting man, but I might have a go

I had a guess above at the clubs averaging maybe $500 K for their womens team, Adelaide have announced they are already at the $1 Mill mark, given that we know Collingwood at least are well past $1 Mill, I think revising that figure up to $1 Mill is in order. That would put total revenue in the order of $12 to $14 mill. Its a pretty could revenue stream for a league that doesn't have an actual team in it as yet.

This would mean clubs easily meeting the levels required to cover the full costs of the team this year (if they had to, AFL are covering wages).

This lets the AFL smoothly transition wages costs to the clubs over the next couple of years, and leaves the AFL with its own Womens league revenue to run and expand the comp.

I had a guess above at the clubs averaging maybe $500 K for their womens team, Adelaide have announced they are already at the $1 Mill mark, given that we know Collingwood at least are well past $1 Mill, I think revising that figure up to $1 Mill is in order. That would put total revenue in the order of $12 to $14 mill. Its a pretty could revenue stream for a league that doesn't have an actual team in it as yet.

This would mean clubs easily meeting the levels required to cover the full costs of the team this year (if they had to, AFL are covering wages).

This lets the AFL smoothly transition wages costs to the clubs over the next couple of years, and leaves the AFL with its own Womens league revenue to run and expand the comp.

New comp basically set, and ready to go, 5 months out, the AFL will definitely look to expand 2nd season.

There was a long article on the back page and inside of yesterdays Australian newspaper about the new AFL Womens League.
It included a list of all of the recruits from other sports, and comments from the other codes and sports bosses.
However the article written by Nicole Jeffrey is behind a paywall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back