AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It already is in Australia.

AFLNT Darwin League is played from October to March
Why Darwin of all places? Rain v dry season?

Still, there is even precedent. So, it’s absolutely a no-brainer.

Maybe all teams have an AFLW side, play each team once then finals. Aflw teams play before the men at same ground. Done. Fair draw, aflw would get more actual interest from all fans me included.

Maybe all teams have an AFLW side, play each team once then finals. Aflw teams play before the men at same ground. Done. Fair draw, aflw would get more actual interest from all fans me included.
I thought about that, but the Reserves are coming. Triple-headers would be too much.

Women refuse to be seen as the curtain raiser to a man's match. That's basically what the CEO Nicole Livingstone has said several times.

Considering you don't know that the 2019 prelim had 13k, it's no surprise you can't figure out crowds being down this year have nothing to do with ticket prices.
I thought they had a much larger turn out for the prelim. I remember some Crows fans taking shots at us after the prelim about the crowd size being bigger than Port turn outs.

Was good to hear Bec Goddard on The Front Bar calling for all 18 clubs to have a team in the AFLW.

Yes because the talent pool isn't thin already. Gold Coast were winless and Geelong won one game (against the Gold Coast).

I get some want us in as we are missing out on marketing and funding opportunities, but from a league perspective they have expanded two or three seasons to early and the talent will struggle to catch up for a few years yet.

Are we going to discuss this again? The AFL got us by surprise; we were focusing in China and couldn’t come up with the NT solution before the Crows did.

China was and still is (despite all) the best card we had on our hand. We played it right. MG is on our guernsey, even.

We can’t win them all.

Lost fans? The AFC's memberships are clearly just overflowing with those AFLW converts right? I would have thought by this stage Rucci might have created a better argument to niggle the club with then one that's clearly a fantasy and never eventuated.

Yes because the talent pool isn't thin already. Gold Coast were winless and Geelong won one game (against the Gold Coast).
The talent pool in those parts of the country has very little to do with the talent pool in SA. Do you get that the women's league doesn't have a national draft? The reason for the lopsided ladder isn't because of the talent pool's depth, it's because the talent hasn't been equally distributed.

Port Adelaide would have equal access to the incoming talent in their state, unlike those two clubs (Geelong technically does, but not in practice). And, given what the AFL learned via Richmond and West Coast, there's a chance Port will actually be given some decent start-up concessions for their inaugural season in 2023.

The talent pool in those parts of the country has very little to do with the talent pool in SA. Do you get that the women's league doesn't have a national draft? The reason for the lopsided ladder isn't because of the talent pool's depth, it's because the talent hasn't been equally distributed.

Port Adelaide would have equal access to the incoming talent in their state, unlike those two clubs (Geelong technically does, but not in practice). And, given what the AFL learned via Richmond and West Coast, there's a chance Port will actually be given some decent start-up concessions for their inaugural season in 2023.
Are you trying to say the Crows have an advantage because they have access to the SA talent pool?

During the National Championships, SA doesn't play in division One with Victoria, NSW and Queensland, it plays in division two because the talent in SA overall is lacking. Queensland is actually a stronger Women's AFL state than SA. Its why the AFL was initially going to skip having an SA based team in the first place.

Are you trying to say the Crows have an advantage because they have access to the SA talent pool?

During the National Championships, SA doesn't play in division One with Victoria, NSW and Queensland, it plays in division two because the talent in SA overall is lacking. Queensland is actually a stronger Women's AFL state than SA. Its why the AFL was initially going to skip having an SA based team in the first place.
There aren't clear divisions anymore, and NSW don't even have their own team.

SA defeated WA two weeks ago. That is not a result that looked remotely likely back in 2019, when the outdated argument you're making last had any weight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost fans? The AFC's memberships are clearly just overflowing with those AFLW converts right? I would have thought by this stage Rucci might have created a better argument to niggle the club with then one that's clearly a fantasy and never eventuated.

I'm not totally sure but didn't the crows create some online free membership where you could sign up multiple times?

Wasn't this team supposed to be called NT-Adelaide because of the number of players from NT?

If we cannot be minimally competitive, there is no reason to field a team. We cannot get in to simply make the numbers. We have a brand. We exist to win premierships. This must be taken into account.

We need to keep working on development and time our entrance for when the girls are good enough to, at least, avoid wooden spoons. Good teams should be forced to bring their best game to beat our girls. Our supporters must be able to recognize Port Adelaide football when watching the team.

Do that, and the girls will be all right. Titles come with time. However, if we get in early, and the team is bad, I fear we may struggle to bring in support for them. That’s why the right beginning is crucial.

Are we going to discuss this again? The AFL got us by surprise; we were focusing in China and couldn’t come up with the NT solution before the Crows did.

China was and still is (despite all) the best card we had on our hand. We played it right. MG is on our guernsey, even.

We can’t win them all.

If we cannot be minimally competitive, there is no reason to field a team. We cannot get in to simply make the numbers. We have a brand. We exist to win premierships. This must be taken into account.

We need to keep working on development and time our entrance for when the girls are good enough to, at least, avoid wooden spoons. Good teams should be forced to bring their best game to beat our girls. Our supporters must be able to recognize Port Adelaide football when watching the team.

Do that, and the girls will be all right. Titles come with time. However, if we get in early, and the team is bad, I fear we may struggle to bring in support for them. That’s why the right beginning is crucial.

I have written both of my comments above before reading the piece. I have basically made the same points brought up by Koch.

It's not one of Rucci's best works. He has left many points there open; specially those most controversial against the AFLW. Moreover, even though he mention the AFL rushing its timetable for the competition ("had its launch date advanced from 2020 to 2017"), Rucci doesn't tell his readers that it happened after Port announced its commitment to women's football, with Erin Phillips on board to boot.

Rucci doesn't talk about one of the most important arguments in favor of an AFLW team: investment money; mainly, public. Those dollars, we probably have missed. He could have raised this issue when talking about the SANFL's refusal to grant us a license to play in its women's league.

Also, Koutsantonis is right. He is being selfish. It's understandable, with his daughters going to the other side. But his personal experience, despite relevant to him, it cannot alone be a measure on the decisions taken by the club. Besides, I wish the question whether his girls follow only AFLW was raised. If they also follow the AFL, do they barrack for the Crows or for Port? Regardless, would they be willing to switch to Port once we have a team?

Rucci doesn't talk about it at all. And he should! Because that is central to Notso's argument on why the AFLW is so important for the Crows, as Rucci quoted: "You can imagine grandparents and parents who come from long lines of Port Adelaide fans dealing with granddaughters and daughters who want to play AFLW. And in this State there is only one team that does that – the Crows."

True that, but Koch didn't miss the opportunity to remind us all of something important: "we dealt with that in the AFL too". We can deal with it again.

Last edited:
Women refuse to be seen as the curtain raiser to a man's match. That's basically what the CEO Nicole Livingstone has said several times.

Do they have to be a curtain raiser all the time? Maybe they can play sometimes after the men's game? If there is 40k at AO, more likely to get a decent crowd remain to watch the women, than people arriving 4+hrs before the main game. Would also allow for entry only to the women's game as people could enter after the afl match to watch the aflw game.

Do they have to be a curtain raiser all the time? Maybe they can play sometimes after the men's game? If there is 40k at AO, more likely to get a decent crowd remain to watch the women, than people arriving 4+hrs before the main game. Would also allow for entry only to the women's game as people could enter after the afl match to watch the aflw game.

I think the women very distinctively want their own competition. Not as a curtain raiser before everyone gets there or as a post script after 90% of the crowd has left.

I think the women very distinctively want their own competition. Not as a curtain raiser before everyone gets there or as a post script after 90% of the crowd has left.
I think exposure is more important than stand alone competition at the moment. But it'd be a long day to watch 2 full games.

They are just going to have to run the comp standalone over a period in which no mens comp is on. That's about the only real solution here. The alternative is womens games are during the week.

They are just going to have to run the comp standalone over a period in which no mens comp is on. That's about the only real solution here. The alternative is womens games are during the week.
Or maybe the AFL do what every other sport that has a male and female national leagues do, and have seasons that co exist and some games clash and some don't, and make sure that their finals games have their own free time in the schedule. The AFL doesn't have to try and dominate every sports ratings time slot.

That's when you know AFLW has made it - they don't give a * when the men are playing.

Or maybe the AFL do what every other sport that has a male and female national leagues do, and have seasons that co exist and some games clash and some don't, and make sure that their finals games have their own free time in the schedule. The AFL doesn't have to try and dominate every sports ratings time slot.

That's when you know AFLW has made it - they don't give a fu** when the men are playing.
Yeah, just don’t clash the men’s and women’s teams for a club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back