AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't the entire point of splitting this conversation off from the AFL Talk thread meant to be that people who aren't following the AFLW don't post about how they're not following it?

Looking for likes, and succeeding.

Are you talking about me or the AFLW?

I like, liked your like fishing, but I wont like it, nor do I like that I dont have a team to like in AFLW - I dont like to like it for the sake of a like.

I don't give a solitary s**t about likes

:rainbow:

Watched on youtube a fair bit of the Glenelg v West game at the Parade. Have a slight vested interest as a girl I coached for 2 years (volleyball) was playing in it for Glenelg. She played bloody well, kicked 3 I think in the end. I actually thought a few of the Bays girls looked like they were good enough to play at AFL level. Maybe hard to tell as playing against a lower standard of opposition.
Apparently a fair chunk of Glenelg's team came from Morphettville Park, which won the Div 1 GF last year and apparently (can't confirm as the internet holds SFA info on this...) has dominated the SAWFL in recent years. Ie. Best players from best ammo team + team cohesion already in place = decent SANFL team.

I think 1 problem with the women's game is the girls are too fit for the skill level. They play at div 7 amateur level, Probably worse, skill wise. However their fitness is seemingly top level hence the pressure that is being put on all around the ground is too great for their skills to handle. Turning it into a real continual scrap. If they were like amateur league players and had zero fitness then the ground would open up significantly and the play would be far more fluent.
I played Div 7 and let me tell you their (AFLW) skills are better than that.

However comparing it to men is not the point of the women's competition.

Apparently a fair chunk of Glenelg's team came from Morphettville Park, which won the Div 1 GF last year and apparently (can't confirm as the internet holds SFA info on this...) has dominated the SAWFL in recent years. Ie. Best players from best ammo team + team cohesion already in place = decent SANFL team.
Also quite a few Crows players from Morphettville.

8 players from Morphettville Park were drafted in last years Women's draft/marquee player/priority player signings.

I watched Inside Volleyball on 7TWO on Sunday morning, a half hour show dedicated to Volleyball in Oz and from around the world. I didn't realise it had started in December and it was episode 11.

Given the lack of $$$ involved for these players once they finish an AIS scholarship, I suspect that AFL clubs will target the women's squads for players. They are tall, athletic and have received great structured training and sports science assistance throughout their scholarship at the AIS in Canberra for the indoor volleyball squads and in Adelaide for the beach volleyball squads. It was interesting watching the AIS stuff and thinking about the Burgo academy and how Port could integrate it with the AIS and SASI.

I have said for a few years now said we should be targeting 200-210cm and 110-120kg type volleyballers with our category B rookie spots as they are athletic and strong and could make useful ruckmen. Watching the program I noted a couple of tall Sudanese kids at the AIS. I have long wondered where they might end up playing sport. Looks like volleyball is targeting them. You can watch at; https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/inside-volleyball/

Lockhart Road I think you will find a couple of snippets from the press release in November interesting given our discussions on who is backing volleyball in Oz. The story is on the international body's website.
http://www.fivb.org/viewHeadlines.asp?No=65607&Language=en
“This is a great vote of confidence from the Seven Network in our fantastic beach and indoor volleyball teams,” Volleyball Australia’s Chief Commercial Officer, Rod Harys, said. “There are so many sports in Australia vying for media attention, so to have a commitment to screen a weekly programme focusing on our helloworld Volleyroos is a great boost for everyone involved. “It is also a wonderful reward for our sponsors, like Gina Rinehart and helloworld, who have helped our athletes achieve their dreams.”
Volleyball can also boast an enviable record attracting sponsors. “At a time when most Australian sports are struggling to hold on to sponsors, let alone attract new ones, Volleyball Australia has been an incredible success story,” Volleyball Australia President, Craig Carracher, said. “Our numbers speak for themselves. We have grown from a $3m annual turnover two years ago to $9m in 2015/16, which is even more impressive when you compare with most other national sporting organisations.

“A weekly panel show on a free-to-air channel is the next stage of our evolution. Channel 7 is the perfect fit, given our common Olympic pedigree, and it will help us find new partners as well as introduce our sport to new fans.

Last edited:
I watched Inside Volleyball on 7TWO on Sunday morning, a half hour show dedicated to Volleyball in Oz and from around the world. I didn't realise it had started in December and it was episode 11.

Given the lack of $$$ involved for these players once they finish an AIS scholarship, I suspect that AFL clubs will target the women's squads for players. They are tall, athletic and have received great structured training and sports science assistance throughout their scholarship at the AIS in Canberra for the indoor volleyball squads and in Adelaide for the beach volleyball squads. It was interesting watching the AIS stuff and thinking about the Burgo academy and how Port could integrate it with the AIS and SASI.

I have said for a few years now said we should be targeting 200-210cm and 110-120kg type volleyballers with our category B rookie spots as they are athletic and strong and could make useful ruckmen. Watching the program I noted a couple of tall Sudanese kids at the AIS. I have long wondered where they might end up playing sport. Looks like volleyball is targeting them. You can watch at; https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/inside-volleyball/

Lockhart Road I think you will find a couple of snippets from the press release in November interesting given our discussions on who is backing volleyball in Oz. The story is on the international body's website.

I appear very quickly in the background of either episode 1 or 2 of this show (at the opening ceremony for the national champs - high school version).

Bryce Gibbs and James Sellar both played high school volleyball. A few other drafted kids (rookie lists) played as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Erin McKinnon the Giants ruck is 17! Youngest and tallest in the comp. has palmed the ball Brendon Lade style a few times. Exceptional talent.

Erin is 18, turned 18 last year. Had the privilege of coaching her last year. She will be a weapon.

They were dressed as fridges as Amanda Farrugia our captain is known as fridge and they were all her team mates.

Erin is 18, turned 18 last year. Had the privilege of coaching her last year. She will be a weapon.

They were dressed as fridges as Amanda Farrugia our captain is known as fridge and they were all her team mates.

I spoke to Erin in the rooms after the game, nice kid.

I was surprised that we weren't afforded the same handout as the criers for our women's development.

I wasn't, the AFL have never done the PAFC any favours. Look back at our so called concessions in 1996, the AFL's stance on wearing our PB strip in the AFL, allowing Richmond to wear their home strip in what was our home final, the treatment we got in the wake of the Essendon saga, and currently the AFL's lack of co operation in guernsey choices for China etc. In the face of the resistance we have had from the AFL over the years I am not in the least bit surprised that the chosen ones were favored over us.

A no brainer but money needs to be invested in the younger leagues to make sure girls don't abandon the sport, without this we will always have a (too) small base to try to get enough quality players from.
I can't see the current players improving heaps, skill improvements as a result of more pre-seasons and game time but nothing evolutionary.
They have developed skills in other sports and are adapting to footy rather than focusing on footy as their chosen sport (without past opportunity it's hardly their fault)

The biggest change will come from girls that have had the opportunity to play and learn from juniors to adults - exactly the same as male equivalents.
This will obviously take a few years as they make their way through the system.

More money will not make the current players "elite", hell you can pay some male AFL players a sack of cash but it does not make them "elite" no matter how much the fans wish it was so, but by identifying talented juniors early and committing to their development will yield results. Now there is a viable way forward for budding female footy players.

The AFLW will look very different in a few years time IF time, effort and encouragement is put into development.

There has been plenty of past opportunity, just without the glamour of the pros, it hasn't been taken up.

When I managed a junior team the girls (we had 3 in the squad of 21) had to stop playing in mixed games after under 12.
There was no opportunity I could find for them to continue in any meaningful fashion so they quit the game while many of the boys that played in the same team continued for years after.
All Im saying is with the latest visibility maybe there will be impetus for local clubs to field female teams, or maybe there will be no real ground swell for it at a junior level and it will be nothing more than a niche part of footy.

There has been plenty of past opportunity, just without the glamour of the pros, it hasn't been taken up.
In country towns I bet there hasn't been opportunities for girls once they get to to 14 or 15. The SAWFL only started in 2003, it wasn't in every suburb, it didn't have junior teams and it didn't go out and advertise itself to young girls. A big chunk of potential players were lost because of poor opportunities both in the city and country.

In country towns I bet there hasn't been opportunities for girls once they get to to 14 or 15. The SAWFL only started in 2003, it wasn't in every suburb, it didn't have junior teams and it didn't go out and advertise itself to young girls. A big chunk of potential players were lost because of poor opportunities both in the city and country.
I meant it from an even ider point of view. Not only have there been teams (if people don't join them they die), but also so many women involved in the game for so long. It still amazes me when I see the number of females who attend games compared to soccer and rugby back home.

The market wasnt asking for womens teams as they weren't wanted. If they were wanted the opporunities were they even simply due to the sheer numbers of female participation in footy.

Not that it matters going forward, just a comment on the past.

The market wasnt asking for womens teams as they weren't wanted.
All Hail The Free Market*

*free if you have control over capital, if you don't then your needs aren't considered to be wants worth meeting

The market wasnt asking for womens teams as they weren't wanted. If they were wanted the opporunities were they even simply due to the sheer numbers of female participation in footy..

But the market was heavily regulated against junior girls, with the law makers saying girls couldn't play against the boys once you hit 12, 13, 14 or 15 depending on which league or state you were in, so they left the sport and went and played other sports that were better managed for girls and women, and they were welcomed with open arms unlike Australian Football junior clubs. Its no fluke that Erin Phillips went off and played basketball rather than at 14 try and set up her own football club for girls and that Kim Crow/Brennan daughter of ex Saint Kilda player Max Crow, was stopped from playing with the boys at 12 and went and became an Olympic and World Championship gold medal rower. What would have happened in men's footy clubs were pro active and used their infrastructure and started teams for girls and work with other footy clubs in their area to encourage girls to play because their were girls teams at both junior and senior level at those clubs?

Like Steve Jobs, you sometimes have to invent the market because the potential market doesn't know what is available to it, or as Jobs used to like to say, they don't know what they want yet.

All Hail The Free Market*

*free if you have control over capital, if you don't then your needs aren't considered to be wants worth meeting
Not the free market, the demand from women to want to play football, there has always been enough women involved in footy to make it happen is the point.

There are far fewer women involved in soccer and rugby historically, but with greater participation numbers.

It's a strange anomaly and market is probably the wrong term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back