AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if it's just that stray wisp of hair, but Katie Brennan's head looks larger than Ollie's in this photo:

C34MGd0VYAER0sZ.jpg

Also, good to see that there's no problem with them all wearing the same colour, unlike that princess Amber Sherlock on Channel Nine a couple of weeks ago with her "Go and grab a jacket!" outburst ;)

I don't know if it's just that stray wisp of hair, but Katie Brennan's head looks larger than Ollie's in this photo:

C34MGd0VYAER0sZ.jpg

Also, good to see that there's no problem with them all wearing the same colour, unlike that princess Amber Sherlock on Channel Nine a couple of weeks ago with her "Go and grab a jacket!" outburst ;)
Who is the big grey haired lady at the back?

The ad where Daisy Pearce ushers the unsuspecting lass to play and they feign trying to stop her as she makes her way to kick a goal.

#feels
#allofthem

... anyone else concerned that some of the smaller women players don't seem to know how to protect themselves in a tackle? ....
I've heard it discussed but don't know how much credence to give it. People are generalising a lot about the differences between men and women's footy at the top level based on a very small number of AFLW* games. Having watched a small number of that small number I think the differences are disappearing already.

* interesting that my spell-checker doesn't pick up AFLW as wrong.

Mathematically all teams can make it, in reality only Melbourne and Carlton have a chance to dislodge Brisbane or Adelaide from the top two spots. And Carlton don't have all that much chance now. Adelaide will have to win today's match at Freo by over 14 points to be sure of retaining top spot.

Mathematically all teams can make it, in reality only Melbourne and Carlton have a chance to dislodge Brisbane or Adelaide from the top two spots. And Carlton don't have all that much chance now. Adelaide will have to win today's match at Freo by over 14 points to be sure of retaining top spot.
Freo and GWS are now out of the running.

Collingwood's AFLW debutant Kate Sheahan says career could be over after knee injury

"Injury has likely ended her AFLW career after only one minute on the field, but Kate Sheahan says she would do it all again to fulfil her dream of playing professionally.

Sheahan, 35, was barely into her debut for Collingwood on Saturday when her left leg buckled under her as she attempted a quick change of direction."

Terrible luck :(

For those that think the name sounds familiar;

Capture.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young Women of the Port - Footy Pioneers
A recent discussion with my mum about her lifelong passion for footy, inspired by questions raised by Chiwigi, led her to digging up a few old photos of her and mates playing footy back in the 50s.
upload_2017-3-2_20-33-54.jpg
These lovely young ladies are representing Port Adelaide Girls Tech, mid to late 50s. My mum's seated second on the left in the top photo and second on the right in the bottom photo. She can't remember who they played but does remember she wrote to the footy club to help out and they sent along Chicken Hayes to umpire. All the girls dragged him through the mud in the goal square at the end of the game. She thinks that might be him in the top photo but not totally sure.

upload_2017-3-2_20-32-36.jpg

Some of the same girls played in this game a few years later. My mum is a bit sketchy on details of this match as well but thinks they are wearing the guernseys of Alberton United and they were probably playing Riverside (My family were involved in both clubs - more so Rivies so she's not sure why she ended up on the Alberton United side) You can see a few blokes warming up in the background in what looks like Rivies guernseys and she thinks the girls played an exhibition game before the blokes. My Mum's the blonde standing alongside the old bloke. The game was played at Port Adelaide Reserve, home to both Riverside and Alberton United (now united with Ethelton as Portland Football Club)
I have obtained permission from my mum to put the photos up (but not any of the other women - sorry)

I'd be interested to see if any other posters have a mum or relative involved in the games. (crappy photo quality may prevent recognition)

Port Adelaide people 50 years ahead of the curve

Young Women of the Port - Footy Pioneers
A recent discussion with my mum about her lifelong passion for footy, inspired by questions raised by Chiwigi, led her to digging up a few old photos of her and mates playing footy back in the 50s.
View attachment 341697
These lovely young ladies are representing Port Adelaide Girls Tech, mid to late 50s. My mum's seated second on the left in the top photo and second on the right in the bottom photo. She can't remember who they played but does remember she wrote to the footy club to help out and they sent along Chicken Hayes to umpire. All the girls dragged him through the mud in the goal square at the end of the game. She thinks that might be him in the top photo but not totally sure.

View attachment 341695

Some of the same girls played in this game a few years later. My mum is a bit sketchy on details of this match as well but thinks they are wearing the guernseys of Alberton United and they were probably playing Riverside (My family were involved in both clubs - more so Rivies so she's not sure why she ended up on the Alberton United side) You can see a few blokes warming up in the background in what looks like Rivies guernseys and she thinks the girls played an exhibition game before the blokes. My Mum's the blonde standing alongside the old bloke. The game was played at Port Adelaide Reserve, home to both Riverside and Alberton United (now united with Ethelton as Portland Football Club)
I have obtained permission from my mum to put the photos up (but not any of the other women - sorry)

I'd be interested to see if any other posters have a mum or relative involved in the games. (crappy photo quality may prevent recognition)

Port Adelaide people 50 years ahead of the curve
That's awesome!

Mebourne had a slight chance of making the final if Brisbane or Adelaide slipped up. But with that loss they've just about finished their season.

Good.

We ****ing hate those guys.

It's a unisex term in our house.

Applies to my oldest daughters collection of teddy bears too.

They are her "guys".
It literally means man.
Not that it matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back