AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Standards have improved massively. If you dont agree with this you simply havent been watching.

Low scores are also the result now of defences of the top teams being better. Mediocre sides arent able to score against them because of this. I guarantee Gold Coast wouldnt be having goalless games against the year 1 clubs.

The young stars coming through are genuinely exciting. Chloe Molloy (3rd season) has a higher ceiling than any of the vets in year 1. They keep getting better the more time they can play consistently. Roxy Roux (2nd season) kicked a great goal from the boundary that would have been goal of the year in year 1.

That said, Rap does have a point that there is a fair bit of *ed s**t in that article too.

I am sure it has been said before 4x Vic, 2x SA, 2x WA and 1x NSW, 1x Qld would have been a beter mix. With that formula the game is focused in the traditional Aussie Rules states and there is a better concentration of the talent.
Why? The talent wasn't there in SA. Look at participation numbers before AFLW and Queensland and NSW were way ahead of SA. Its why they along with Vic and WA were in Div 1 at the national championships and SA was a mid field Div 2 team.

The SANFL unlike the WAFC and AFLQ and AFLNSW/ACT didn't put any real resources into game development for women and girls.

As a part time comp you want teams to pick the majority of players who can live in their home state and continue their jobs and study after the season finishes.

Why? The talent wasn't there in SA. Look at participation numbers before AFLW and Queensland and NSW were way ahead of SA. Its why they along with Vic and WA were in Div 1 at the national championships and SA was a mid field Div 2 team.

The SANFL unlike the WAFC and AFLQ and AFLNSW/ACT didn't put any real resources into game development for women and girls.

As a part time comp you want teams to pick the majority of players who can live in their home state and continue their jobs and study after the season finishes.

Exactly, the womens game/development was yet another failure of the SANFL. We didn't have the numbers here to even justify one AFLW club (hence the NT partnership).

For all the millions the two AFL clubs have pumped into the SANFL the development structure for females has been disgraceful.

The standard isn't anywhere. Apart from the 35 year old ex Olympian with fantastic genes and hyped testosterone, nobody would be getting a game for Kenilworth B grade. It's just slightly less s**t than it was. The odd goal kicked from outside 30 metres is celebrated like it's Daniel Motlop checkside from outside 50 on the boundary. There's the odd decent bit of play and skill that your average under 13s player could pull off but then it is immediately stuffed up by the next players ineptitude. It just doesn't deserve the attention it gets, there a far more deserving women's sports out there that are somewhat watchable from a skill level point of view, but get fcuk all because they don't have the weight of the AFL/corrupt Vic State Government behind them.

The standard isn't anywhere. Apart from the 35 year old ex Olympian with fantastic genes and hyped testosterone, nobody would be getting a game for Kenilworth B grade. It's just slightly less sh*t than it was. The odd goal kicked from outside 30 metres is celebrated like it's Daniel Motlop checkside from outside 50 on the boundary. There's the odd decent bit of play and skill that your average under 13s player could pull off but then it is immediately stuffed up by the next players ineptitude. It just doesn't deserve the attention it gets, there a far more deserving women's sports out there that are somewhat watchable from a skill level point of view, but get fcuk all because they don't have the weight of the AFL/corrupt Vic State Government behind them.
With it still being a comp in infancy mode bringing Port in isn't that big of a deal you hardly need a super developed list to be somewhat competitive, if anything it boosts interest and numbers involved.

With it still being a comp in infancy mode bringing Port in isn't that big of a deal you hardly need a super developed list to be somewhat competitive, if anything it boosts interest and numbers involved.

Yep. The standard is that poor, you'd just need to find 25 somewhat athetic girls, and throw them in. Hopefully you'd have 3 or 4 who could dominate like in Under 10s, a walla, Ports have a team and then we could start asking for grants for everything.

For all the millions the two AFL clubs have pumped into the SANFL the development structure for females has been disgraceful.

The development structure for males has been disgraceful. Where the hell did all that money flow to?

Yep. The standard is that poor, you'd just need to find 25 somewhat athetic girls, and throw them in. Hopefully you'd have 3 or 4 who could dominate like in Under 10s, a walla, Ports have a team and then we could start asking for grants for everything.

The more proven route is to rip the heart out of other sports by poaching athletic women who haven't ever played football, but can run hardery and perform athletically.

That way the AFL succeeds in two of its goals. To find enough players to keep up with their premature expansion and also destroy their sporting code rivals.

The development structure for males has been disgraceful. Where the hell did all that money flow to?

1200x720-Crows-850x455.jpg

I reckon you could pop over to Wingfield now and find a 35 year old truckie bird for FF no dramas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more proven route is to rip the heart out of other sports by poaching athletic women who haven't ever played football, but can run hardery and perform athletically.

That way the AFL succeeds in two of its goals. To find enough players to keep up with their premature expansion and also destroy their sporting code rivals.

But the thing I don't get, well maybe I do, is that all the femmos don't see it this way. All the sports they've been playing for years, done the hard yards, treated like second class citizens but gradually making ground, are being gazumped by the the AFL with all their money, power, media, government and business contacts, in an attempt to gain greater ascendancy with the female market to try to further dominate the landscape. It is completely about furthering the AFL's agenda and money flowing to it. It is beyond s**t tier, but now promoted more than any other female sport in the country. I don't begrudge women playing the game, but it is promoted as something it clearly isn't, to the detriment of far more deserving female sports.

Big screens at SANFL grounds?

Good ole boys long lunches?

It's only the last few years SA has some decent high end talent coming through, our current (hypothetical) state of origin team is very ordinary.

But the thing I don't get, well maybe I do, is that all the femmos don't see it this way. All the sports they've been playing for years, done the hard yards, treated like second class citizens but gradually making ground, are being gazumped by the the AFL with all their money, power, media, government and business contacts, in an attempt to gain greater ascendancy with the female market to try to further dominate the landscape. It is completely about furthering the AFL's agenda and money flowing to it. It is beyond sh*t tier, but now promoted more than any other female sport in the country. I don't begrudge women playing the game, but it is promoted as something it clearly isn't, to the detriment of far more deserving female sports.

There are a decent amount of people commenting on and celebrating AFLW that clearly don't watch or have any interest in it whatsoever. It just suits their agenda to pretend to like it.

But the thing I don't get, well maybe I do, is that all the femmos don't see it this way. All the sports they've been playing for years, done the hard yards, treated like second class citizens but gradually making ground, are being gazumped by the the AFL with all their money, power, media, government and business contacts, in an attempt to gain greater ascendancy with the female market to try to further dominate the landscape. It is completely about furthering the AFL's agenda and money flowing to it. It is beyond sh*t tier, but now promoted more than any other female sport in the country. I don't begrudge women playing the game, but it is promoted as something it clearly isn't, to the detriment of far more deserving female sports.

Which people involved in these other sports is it that you think the AFLW is hurting? Im not really seeing the destruction of other codes that you're describing. Surely the pathways ensure that those sports will always have participants?

Which people involved in these other sports is it that you think the AFLW is hurting? Im not really seeing the destruction of other codes that you're describing. Surely the pathways ensure that those sports will always have participants?

Players, Money, profile, sponsors, media spotlight, government grants. There is a finite amount of this, especially for women's sport. If you think that AWFL doesn't take a significant amount of this pie through stealth, I've got some beans to sell you.

Also feeds into the Victorian Governments complete ownership of the AFL and it has its tentacles in everything.

Nah, they do. There are plenty in Netball fuuuuming over it. There's nothing they could do against a government backed monolith like the AFL.

The flip side is, those other sports have peaked for their professional potential for women in Australia, the only option really is to take part in the biggest professional sports codes.

Players, Money, profile, sponsors, media spotlight, government grants. There is a finite amount of this, especially for women's sport. If you think that AWFL doesn't take a significant amount of this pie through stealth, I've got some beans to sell you.

Also feeds into the Victorian Governments complete ownership of the AFL and it has its tentacles in everything.

But why do you care about these other codes? Surely as long as the option is there for girls to play whatever they choose to play, that is the main thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back