AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Because it's for the good of the game. Higher pay equals higher participation equals more overall engagement equals more fans for both AFL and AFLW equals more revenue. In addition, in this woke world, it would be a statement absolutely adored by government and big business and would further enhance the AFL's dominance of the corporate dollar. It would be a very, very smart business move.

These players aren't getting paid for doing a job, its proportional to the revenue they're generating though gate receipts and television ratings.

It will never happen because it’s ludicrous.

Maybe it is. Highly paid men protecting their positions whilst simultaneously promoting gender equality is very common. The left is nothing if not a contradiction.

But next time Port put out an article about International Women's Day and all of the women they employ in marketing and physiotherapy whilst the top 70 paid positions at the club are men and the club doesn't even have a freaking AFLW team let alone a lowly paid one, I'll roll my eyes.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Maybe it is. Highly paid men protecting their positions whilst simultaneously promoting gender equality is very common. The left is nothing if not a contradiction.

But next time Port put out an article about International Women's Day and all of the women they employ in marketing and physiotherapy whilst the top 70 paid positions at the club are men and the club doesn't even have a freaking AFLW team let alone a lowly paid one, I'll roll my eyes.

I can't even.. my brain.

money shouldn’t exist and neither should a thread full of men discussing women’s anything 💜

You are going to have a long and fruitful life here.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
A bit like tennis, soccer, et al.
When women can play the same duration of game, the same number of sets, same number of matches, etc at the "equivalent standard" to men, and draw as many sponsorship dollars and ratings as men, then happy to give them equivalent pay.
At the moment AFLW is one tenth of the speed, skill and physicality as the men's game, and they only play one third the member of games.
They will improve with time, but it is going to take some time.

Wasn‘t this discussion about the players?

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't think AFLW needs to be equal on output to the AFL for pay equality it just needs to generate the revenue.. that's a hard logic for people to grasp apparently, men were paid peanuts in Aussie Rules around the country for over 100 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think AFLW needs to be equal on output to the AFL for pay equality it just needs to generate the revenue.. that's a hard logic for people to grasp apparently, men were paid peanuts in Aussie Rules around the country for over 100 years.

To be serious and not taking things to the nth degree like I have been, the relationship between revenue generation and pay are more complex in a not for profit like the AFL than a regular business. It's somewhere between government and business. Yes revenue needs to be generated but there's also a responsibility to the game itself - the growth of the game, the way the game is seen by the community. And these things do eventually lead to revenue.

There needs to be a plan for the AFLW to go full time professional sometime in the next 5 years - not equal pay, nowhere near it, but full time professional.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To be serious and not taking things to the nth degree like I have been, the relationship between revenue generation and pay are more complex in a not for profit like the AFL than a regular business. It's somewhere between government and business. Yes revenue needs to be generated but there's also a responsibility to the game itself - the growth of the game, the way the game is seen by the community. And these things do eventually lead to revenue.

There needs to be a plan for the AFLW to go full time professional sometime in the next 5 years - not equal pay, nowhere near it, but full time professional.
There is potential for very good revenue streams though, kids love it that's half the battle.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Not if you already know that the likely hood that it will generate money is almost nil to begin with. People yell WNBA without any insight that the entire league is an abject failure in a commercial sense. Exactly the same path is being followed where it was pushed above what it was and everyone in the media etc pushed it and then it fell off a cliff. Meanwhile the players become more militant (again exactly the same path here) about their demands as the public soured to their product due to being advertised as something it's not as interest continued to wane. That league will never make money and only exists like the AFLW because of the mens league's support.

Do I think the AFLW shouldn't exist? Yes but equal pay is ridiculous, they are already overpaid for the production, no one is going to give any significant respect to a competition where you can have never kicked a football before but you get pulled over from Netball by being offered a huge salary and then the day you sign your contract the media and co refer to you as a star of the AFL and a professional. That's insane but it's been what's happening and it's clear the public doesn't have much interest in that once they saw and worked out that said recruit can't actually football. Parlaying that after 8 games into cush media careers speaking on the mens game is peak AFL.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah the whole we haven't built it from the bottom up argument doesn't really wash with me either. Womens cricket, soccer and basketball is light years shitter than men's. The examples of under 16 boys club sides trouncing women's national teams just proves that. Id argue that Aussie Rules is a much harder game for women to play than any of those 3. It will never be anything but a poor product no matter how much the AFL and the woke want to shove it down our necks.

Fair enough, that's a different point to what you were making though.

It's almost like it's the exact opposite of the point he was trying to make.

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah the whole we haven't built it from the bottom up argument doesn't really wash with me either. Womens cricket, soccer and basketball is light years shitter than men's. The examples of under 16 boys club sides trouncing women's national teams just proves that. Id argue that Aussie Rules is a much harder game for women to play than any of those 3. It will never be anything but a poor product no matter how much the AFL and the woke want to shove it down our necks.
What is your point exactly? Do you think woman shouldn’t play sport? Or do you just simply want them to be aware of how much worse they are than the men’s league?

I would have thought that offering pathways for young girls to play their favourite sport can only be a good thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back