AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

What is your point exactly? Do you think woman shouldn’t play sport? Or do you just simply want them to be aware of how much worse they are than the men’s league?

I would have thought that offering pathways for young girls to play their favourite sport can only be a good thing.

That's fine and should be encouraged. But talk of 22 game seasons and equal pay is not only jumping the shark, it's jumping a ******* blue whale.

What is your point exactly? Do you think woman shouldn’t play sport? Or do you just simply want them to be aware of how much worse they are than the men’s league?

I would have thought that offering pathways for young girls to play their favourite sport can only be a good thing.

Papa G is mad because he thinks that woman's sport gets disproportionate media coverage, and doesn't seem to have figured out that he has the option of just not watching it.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The kicking ability, in terms of distance covered, seems to me to have improved immensely in AFLW. At least that is so for the top echelon of players. But at the other end of the spectrum the least skilled players have work to do.
This improvement should auger well for scoreboard output, which is the most significant drawback for the competition in terms of spectator interest.

I watched the Collingwood v North final and flicked it on with 7.40 to go in the last quarter. North were up by 7 pts but Collingwood were streaming home at Vic Park. North were in an indirect way representing the expansion teams as the other 5 finalists are part of the original 8.

The defending by North was horrendous. They were trying to protect their lead but they had no real idea how to do it. I am more positive than negative about AFLW but that was shithouse viewing.

It really was U/10 error stuff by North. Yes Ive bagged the blokes about making U/10 errors, but not that many in a game, let alone 7 minutes.

Heard Leppitsch on SEN before the Swans game go on about coaching and assistant coaches. Said nobody concentrated on kicking like Choco did. Said Matthews at Brisbane didnt as he figured if you are drafted you are good enough and should work on it yourself.

Kicking and basic understanding of the game and basic skills is what we have to concentrate on any players we are developing and hiding away for the 2023 or 2024 season.

That's a fair improvement, I don't reckon she'd have made the distance last year.

Great contribution. Especially poignant a day after our team who get paid a combined salary of $14 million per year played a half that made them look like 22 randoms plucked off the street who had never seen a football in their life.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Great contribution. Especially poignant a day after our team who get paid a combined salary of $14 million per year played a half that made them look like 22 randoms plucked off the street who had never seen a football in their life.

Imagine how well they've had done if they were on a combined salary of $14million a year but half only picked up a footy for the first time 12 weeks ago during pre-season.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Papa G is mad because he thinks that woman's sport gets disproportionate media coverage, and doesn't seem to have figured out that he has the option of just not watching it.
Please.

When they insert pretty ******* ordinary AFLW 'highlights' in to the AFL highlights package you can't claim to just have an option to not watch it.

A female playing not missing a goal from 5m out in amongst Jeremy Howe and Liam Ryan and Taylor Walker (still not sitting right) and Dustin Martin all doing impressive things.

If you're watching AFL, reading AFL, visiting AFL.com.au, it's not possible to avoid it. We've even seen male broadcasts stopped to allow the AFLW game to take precedence.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Please.

When they insert pretty ******* ordinary AFLW 'highlights' in to the AFL highlights package you can't claim to just have an option to not watch it.

A female playing not missing a goal from 5m out in amongst Jeremy Howe and Liam Ryan and Taylor Walker (still not sitting right) and Dustin Martin all doing impressive things.

If you're watching AFL, reading AFL, visiting AFL.com.au, it's not possible to avoid it. We've even seen male broadcasts stopped to allow the AFLW game to take precedence.

Speak for yourself, I don't think I've seen more than a minute of AFLW footage this year.

Please.

See this is the thing I don't get if you're saying the AFL aren't trying to ram it down our throats. The AFLW competition has its own website for news, highlights, articles etc etc. Yet the AFL website is saturated with AFLW articles, videos, game revues and player profiles. All intermixed with the mens competition.

Reason??

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Speak for yourself, I don't think I've seen more than a minute of AFLW footage this year.
I have watched a bit of it, but that doesn't matter. It's the principle of the argument that it exists in its own easily avoidable bubble not intruding in to the AFL that I have issue with.

When there's a FTA game on half the board erupts when subjected to a couple of seconds of adds for whatever inane reality show they are pushing in the adds, and nobody ever says to that, that they could just... Not watch them?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
See this is the thing I don't get if you're saying the AFL aren't trying to ram it down our throats. The AFLW competition has its own website for news, highlights, articles etc etc. Yet the AFL website is saturated with AFLW articles, videos, game revues and player profiles. All intermixed with the mens competition.

Reason??
I don't think I'm saying that, the opposite, however ram it down throats is extreme.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Late to the talk, but there are two different meanings for “equality.” One of those is proportional: a/x = b/z

Considering the generated revenue and the amount of games played, the paying could already be proportionally equal.

Let’s not forget that there isn’t equal pay within the leagues.

Moreover, the AFL is the AFL, not AFLM. It’s not the “men’s” league. It’s the MAIN league. Women shouldn’t be forbidden of playing.

I have just written an article on the subject, by the way. I will see if I can put onto English.

Sep 6, 2007
Hiding in the sand dunes
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Lol you're giving old Papalopolous waayyy too much credit here. He is just your garden-variety sexist pig with no real depth to his commenting beyond that. There's a few of them floating around here.

Seen sleazier old men at Bunnings.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am looking forward to a Port side in the comp, it's like grass roots type footy, a bit like our men's side atm.

On a serious note I would watch Port play a game of marbles but i am anxious to see how our ladies go, the sooner we have a team the better.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
I'll add we are where we are with it because Gil skipped all the steps in building it to a viable league and now they can't backfill the missing holes.
Yeah this was my biggest issue with it all. Start in the lower levels and let it progress naturally.

Injuries are my second. But compromising rules to suit also sits a little awkward with me too.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda

Reason??
The mental image of Gil trying to ram it down anyone's throat is extremely disturbing!
I may need therapy after this.............

Apologies if this has been shared already.

2021-04-08 11_04_16-Photos.png

Back